Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
heidih

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter's solo has a back walkove sequence, an aerial, a chin stand and another back walkover.  What are considered tricks when competing?  I know most say up to 3 tricks allowed.  Trying to figure out if she will be lyrical or open.

Thank you!
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Most comps put a limit at 3 acro tricks in any category except acro or open.  I’m betting your daughter's solo will go open.  A general rule of thumb is a move in which their feet go over their heads is a acro move - it's an imperfect definition but it fits here in my opinion.  Your daughter's studio should know how to register her appropriately though!
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
A back walkover and an aerial are considered an acro trick. A chin stand is not. Each comp has different rules but prancer is right, most are capped at 3. 
heidih

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you.  Her choreographer didn't think the chin stand was considered an acro trick.  I haven't talked to the owner yet, so I thought I would ask all of you.  [smile]
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
following out of sheer curiosity. What would a chin stand be considered if not an acro trick? It is not in contemporary or modern dance.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Chin stands come directly out of acro and contortion. They are taught in acro classes. I am very surprised that some do not consider chin stands an acro trick.  I will be curious to hear more on this topic too!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Our rules state that a trick is anything where the feet pass over the head so a chin stand would count as a trick.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I would enter it into Open to be on the safe side.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Chin stands come directly out of acro and contortion. They are taught in acro classes. I am very surprised that some do not consider chin stands an acro trick.  I will be curious to hear more on this topic too!

I think chin stands are absolutely an acro trick however they are not considered so in a comps definition of "trick" as the feet do not pass over the head and at no time is the head inverted. 
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
And to add even more confusion - sometimes it's not just three acro tricks - it is that they are "in a row" in a tumbling pass.  So a single aerial or single backwalkover not in a sequence could be fine in it's home category.

Most of our solos are always entered into open.  By accident last year one of them was entered into Jazz (which is really what they are) - and it was fine.  The dancers tricks were "not connected" - meaning no tumbling passes - and she scored well.

My DD has exactly 3 unconnected tricks in her dance.. I registered Jazz for Nuvo... we'll see (we added a trick after registration..)

DancerTilDawn

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
She is definitely in the acro category if its all tricks
mom24

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Most acro can be divided into two categories - tumbling or contortion.  I think most comps count tumbling in the 3, but not contortion, so the chin stand wouldn't count.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.