Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Do most convention competitions teach the same dances from city to city or do they change them up? I've heard of dancers following conventions and going to the same one in different cities. Theses dancers will obviously already know the dances if they are the same from city to city. Is this the reason they do That? Are they trying to get a leg up on other dancers who are learning it for the first time? I would wonder why they want to keep learning the same thing over and over again when they could choose a new convention and get something new out of it? Are there any conventions that teach new combinations in different cities?
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My daughter attended the same convention in two different cities but only because she had 2 scholarships. She said most of the routines were different, even the ones taught by the same teacher, except one was a repeat. She hung out in the back during that one not wanting to take away from anyone else. She did end up getting a solo scholarship at the second convention taught by a teacher she had at the first one but the routine and song were different so I can't say whether she had a leg up or not. 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Many choreographers switch up their combos, some keep the same ones. Reasons dancers go to more than one city: they have a season scholarship which allows them to attend for free, they are trying to get a season scholarship and haven't got one yet, and really the most popular reason is the dancers love the choreographers and even some specific combos and want the opportunity to take class again. There's nothing really sinister in going to more than one city. 
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I hear it's a "thing" to follow conventions for a season.  We are fairly new to conventions and we certainly see the same dancers at each one we go to (a variety). 

But this last convention we were at, when they were selecting a group for the "final" run of the combo - one girl came out and did it as a solo.  Now either she was a super incredible 13y/o (or younger girl) that got the 1:30 second choreography so quickly that she could do each step incredibly well - or perhaps she'd seen it before....   That's the only time I've every seen that happen though. [eek]
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I was at a convention a couple years ago. I was waiting outside when a group of girls ran out with their audition papers. One girl blurted out, "It was the same dance that Emily learned. Glad she showed us."
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfish1987
I was at a convention a couple years ago. I was waiting outside when a group of girls ran out with their audition papers. One girl blurted out, "It was the same dance that Emily learned. Glad she showed us."

I'm not sure why that's a big deal?
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Some studios/dancers have ongoing relationships with conventions/teachers and often attend in more than one city.  You can get all worked up about this, but I would recommend you don't.  Bottom line, the dancers from excellent studios (think studios that have won The Dance Awards Studio of the Year), are generally very, very good dancers who train at demanding levels, and who do not need repeated exposures to convention combos to perform well. 

We are at a small studio and when some of our students went to their first big convention, they were very surprised by the level of talent around them.  Some wanted to complain about dancers from this or that studio who traveled in from other states and won awards.  I emphasized to our kids and their parents, that the dancers who did well were objectively the best dancers at the convention (and they would be the best whether they knew the combo from another city or not).  So, instead of complaining about who else might be in the room with you, focus your energy on becoming the best dancer you can be. 
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We don't have these conventions here. But from what I have read in this forum, it sounds like they are expensive. Unless my kid had a scholarship, I don't know how keen I would be to keep paying for the same teachers over and over.
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We are independent this year. We have another family friends who's girls are also independent this year. They plan on "following" a convention starting in January. Traveling all the way from texas to utah  (we are in california). Their goal of all of this is for her kids to get a scholarship tp travel with the convention again next season. 
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128

I'm not sure why that's a big deal?

The fact that 7 girls from the same studio, who learned and perfected the routine prior to the convention because one of their teammates leaned it at an earlier convention, won the majority of the scholorships and you don't see that it is a big deal?
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
The fact that 7 girls from the same studio, who learned and perfected the routine prior to the convention because one of their teammates leaned it at an earlier convention, won the majority of the scholorships and you don't see that it is a big deal?

I don't see it as a big deal.  And you're making a leap from "glad she showed us" to "learned and perfected the routine prior to the convention".  Honestly with the number of people posting convention videos on social media, a determined dancer could probably find and learn combos in advance even if they didn't know anybody.

But the bigger point is, even if the girls had a chance to preview the routine, if they didn't look good doing it, they would not have received scholarships.  It actually took my kids a while to learn that performance quality and showing strong technique was more important than having the choreography perfectly memorized (although obviously having it all is the best).  

In any event, getting chosen at a convention is always subjective and depends on other things than just how well a dancer does the combo.  Focus on learning and having fun and treat the scholarships and awards as icing on the cake and you'll have a much better time.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:

I really don't. Life isn't fair, dance most definitely isn't fair. Honestly, most of the time the best dancers win the scholarship. Sometimes they know the combo in advance, sometimes they don't. Quite frankly many conventions post the combo on social media (I know NYCDA has posted their's). The best dancers will prevail whether they learn it cold or not.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancedaughters

I don't see it as a big deal.  And you're making a leap from "glad she showed us" to "learned and perfected the routine prior to the convention".  Honestly with the number of people posting convention videos on social media, a determined dancer could probably find and learn combos in advance even if they didn't know anybody.

But the bigger point is, even if the girls had a chance to preview the routine, if they didn't look good doing it, they would not have received scholarships.  It actually took my kids a while to learn that performance quality and showing strong technique was more important than having the choreography perfectly memorized (although obviously having it all is the best).  

In any event, getting chosen at a convention is always subjective and depends on other things than just how well a dancer does the combo.  Focus on learning and having fun and treat the scholarships and awards as icing on the cake and you'll have a much better time.

You're so right!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
And really what's the solution?  A new audition combo every week? That's not going to happen. People like Ray Leeper and Joe Lanteri are traveling every weekend and running major conventions are now going to choreo a new combo every single week? That's just not possible.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:

I don't either. It's not unusual for my dancer to skip out on the audition because she would rather be learning in a younger room, she's in the senior room, than be judged. 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My DDs have won more "scholarships" than we've used.  Many amount to nothing more than discounts off of nationals.  We have made use of a couple for the same Convention the following year ... but even one of those went unused because of conflicts.

The recognition is nice, but please don't think of these things as money generators.

FWIW, no, we do not follow any circuits (DDs have never attended one more than 1x per season), and haven't learned dances beforehand.  I don't state any of that to brag, but rather to dispell any notion that it's impossible to come in 1x in any given year and be recognized.
Anna2121

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
This post is very timely as we had NUVO this past weekend and were talking about this . It seems like a lot of the kids that were chosen in the age rooms had been at previous competitions, our children saw this on their Instagram pages. While I do agree that they are all super talented dancers to begin with , it does give them a slight advantage over the other dancers just learning the combo for the first time .I mean obviously running a combo 8 times vs 4 gives you a slight edge .

It is really a non issue for us though as we come from a smaller studio and I’m sure do not put in the hours these children do. So I am in no way taking away from their being chosen just stating a fact .

Anna
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.