Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Pghgal40

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
How can my DD 10 improve her transitions? This seems to be the main correction/critique from judges (especially when going from the floor to standing). 

Thanks[smile]
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Some things that helped my dd were to think of shifting her weight between moves so that one flowed into the next. Also not to think of separate moves but connected phrases that all linked together.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Transitions often come as a dancer matures. Simply, it is realizing that the moments between steps (often tricks) are just as important as the actual turns, leaps and other moments. More actual dance classes, not rehearsals/practices, will also help a dancer master transitions.

Don't worry too much. I have seen dancers much older than 10 who don't understand transitions yet!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Time and lots of ballet help with transitions. Ballet helps strengthen the core and adds control, which in turn, helps with transitions. Time and experience helps with musicality, which also improves transitions.  Bad transitions (and bad feet) are two of the things that many newer dance parents don't understand (NOT saying you don't understand, clearly you do![smile]).  Both can IMO make or break a dance.  Bad transitions stop the flow of the dance, so judges really see it. She is still young, so don't worry too much!!
Pghgal40

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
Time and lots of ballet help with transitions. Ballet helps strengthen the core and adds control, which in turn, helps with transitions. Time and experience helps with musicality, which also improves transitions.  Bad transitions (and bad feet) are two of the things that many newer dance parents don't understand (NOT saying you don't understand, clearly you do![smile]).  Both can IMO make or break a dance.  Bad transitions stop the flow of the dance, so judges really see it. She is still young, so don't worry too much!!

I completely agree! Luckily, she loves ballet and takes as many classes as she can..a little bird (named "Mom") instilled in her that ballet is the foundation for all dance.  Without a strong foundation, well..

As for stopping the flow of the dance, wow, it can be so noticeable, like she's walking into the next move.  Funny thing is, her last practice run of the season was her best..I'm guessing because the dance finally became a part of her, and we were really working on the corrections.  

She had a contemporary solo this past season, which I feel is such a hard style for these little ones, but it's currently her passion. I'm thinking with maturity, it should get better.

Thanks all for the advice and words of wisdom!!
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My DD has a same age teammate who is AMAZING- but can't do transitions at all. It's hurt her this year. I think at that age some kids just get it and others need to really work on it which is hard- I do think how you connect with your Dance matters too. And don't forget choreography makes a difference. She has a same age relative who is also incredibly gifted as a dancer but has the worst choreography for transitions in her solo... and I think that hurts her scores way more than they realize.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Every move needs to be purposeful, not "do this, then do this."
That's tough at age 10. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.