Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
The kinds of requirements a student has depend more on the school and its approach to education than on the major.  I work at a school that values a well-rounded education and we seek to achieve that by having distribution requirements.  To oversimplify our requirements: a student has to take 3 courses that are characterized as "humanities" (languages, arts, english), 3 courses that are characterized as "social science" (sociology, econ, poli sci, psych, many others), and 3 courses that are characterized as math/science, of which 1 must have some real math and 1 must have a lab.  A student could graduate without ever taking a class in the English department or the math department.  We have a foreign language requirement.

Columbia University wants their students to have a well-rounded education.  They seek to achieve that by having a much more prescribed set of requirements, including specific courses that everyone must take, regardless of major.

Brown University wants their students to have a well-rounded education.  They seek to achieve that by having pretty much no requirements at all, and just encourage students to choose their courses thoughtfully.

There are schools that don't care about a well-rounded education and just want to offer the highest quality they can in specific areas.

So no, not every college student has to take math or English, regardless of whether she's a dance major or not.  It depends on the specific school and how they do things.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I'm actually quite surprised by the requirement for a foreign language in college.

Yes, that surprised me too.  At MMC there's a Literature and Languages section to chose classes from.  This could be an English lit course, or a foreign language course, amongst other options.  I'd be a mess if I had to take a foreign language in college, so I was happy there was no requirement for it.  LOL 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
A lot of colleges have foreign language requirements but often you can pass out of them based on how much you took in high school. I was able to do this at UMass but my husband was required to take a language at Emory.
happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
My DD is in a business program. Her BComm requires 124 units, of which 24-36 must be from the Arts&Sciences. The remainder are from the commerce faculty. First year are only commerce required courses - no electives. Second year opens up a little bit. Third and fourth years have commerce required and elective courses and some A&S courses as well. For third year the majority of the students study abroad for a semester. Not sure how that works yet. I know when she was researching universities, their business programs varied more than we expected. 
lovetowatch

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Regarding foreign languages: At most schools the main difference between a BA and a BS is that in a BA, there is a foreign language requirement (usually 4 semesters or equivalent through placement tests) whereas a BS has extra science and math. Interestingly where I teach, we have a BS in criminal justice that does not have any extra science or math but rather extra social sciences which seems odd as social sciences are generally considered humanities and therefore would make more sense in a BA.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetowatch
Regarding foreign languages: At most schools the main difference between a BA and a BS is that in a BA, there is a foreign language requirement (usually 4 semesters or equivalent through placement tests) whereas a BS has extra science and math. Interestingly where I teach, we have a BS in criminal justice that does not have any extra science or math but rather extra social sciences which seems odd as social sciences are generally considered humanities and therefore would make more sense in a BA.

I have a BA, but I didn't have any foreign language requirements.  Thank God!  I always struggled trying to learn a foreign language, it was my biggest struggle just getting through the high school requirements.  Although learning another language is now something I'd really love to do.  [smile]
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer

I have a BA and did have a language requirement. I took sign language. I'm very rusty but it came in handy a couple of weeks ago. [smile]

I had a language requirement for my BA - since my major was ancient studies, I took ancient Greek. Between the completely different alphabet, the fact that it was an 8am class, and the fact that I was a first semester freshman with no time management skills, it was the ONLY semester I took of ancient Greek!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: