Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Well this question has me floored...

A mom at the old studio was very excited that her senior is off to college and wants to major in dance because she finally won't have to deal with math and English classes.

My question...don't BFAs have core subject requirements other than dance coursework? Or do you really just dance all day?  
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Depends on the program. A conservatory BFA program (i.e. Juilliard) will have very few liberal arts requirements. A BFA from a liberal arts university will have the same liberal arts requirements as any degree from that school including math, science, English, social studies, etc. Each school varies. Even in a conservatory program, they may not have to worry about math or English, but will stil, have a fair share of academic classes such as dance history and physiology.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Obviously I don't know a great deal about college in the US, but for us in Australia those traditional academics that everyone has to lead end in high school.

High school up to 10th grade is about providing everyone with the core academic abilities in subjects like English, Maths, Science and History. From there education becomes more individualistic and about preparing students for future career courses. In 11th and 12th grade students tailor their own education courses with subjects they choose, most schools require students select an Enhkish and Maths subject, but that is all.

University is about preparing students for their chosen career path. If they decide to be dancers or teach dance, they would study dance and do subjects relevant to that Feild.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Dance majors at my school took all the same basic requirements as everyone else.  No real math course but all the typical English/History classes.
AtTheStudio

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It is possible she may also have those out of the way thanks to dual credit enrollments. My oldest started college with 16 credits (could have been 21), my current senior will start college with 21 credits and my current sophomore could end up with 23.

For the sophomore that may include English Comp 1 and 2, Biology, Chemistry, Algebra, American Government and a semester of US History. When you have an idea of what you want to do and where you want to go, it can make planning much easier.
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I was under the understanding that all BA, BS, and BFA programs require a certain amount of general ed courses. Otherwise, wouldn't it just be a vocational program?

I have a BA in psychology but I certainly had to take a good chunk of all kinds of classes across all subject areas. 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I think every school is different. Below are the core requirements at Point Park:

Required Courses:

COMM 101 Oral Comm. & Pres. 3 credits
*ENGL 101 College Composition 3 credits
UNIV 101 City-University Life 3 credits Senior Capstone – DANC 480 3 credits
Choose thematic core courses in the following:
Explore the World - Choice 1 3 credits Explore the World - Choice 2 3 credits
Investigate Science 3 credits
Investigate Mathematics 3 credits
Interpret Creative Works 3 credits
Understand People - Choice 1 3 credits Understand People - Choice 2 3 creditsSucceed in Business 3 credits
Appreciate & Apply the Arts 3 credits Discover Technology 3 credits
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinandlovinit
I was under the understanding that all BA, BS, and BFA programs require a certain amount of general ed courses. Otherwise, wouldn't it just be a vocational program?

I have a BA in psychology but I certainly had to take a good chunk of all kinds of classes across all subject areas. 

This isn't true. I have a BS in Chemistry from an engineering college. No gen ed requirements at all for any of the degrees offered by my university.

It is my understand that BA is a more well-rounded education. My BIL went to college for programming from a large state university, and he could have chosen a BA or BS in computer science. The BA required more gen ed, and the BS required more computer science classes.

I have no knowledge of BFA vs. anything else.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I have a BS and an MS and I don't recall much in the way of general eds beyond freshman english.  I certainly didn't take any math and I can't recall any history/social studies either.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
I have a BS and an MS and I don't recall much in the way of general eds beyond freshman english.  I certainly didn't take any math and I can't recall any history/social studies either.

Funny, I have a BS as well, and I had an extensive required core with lots of general classes: 3 math, 2 English, 4 science plus labs, 3 or 4 history/political science classes and 7 engineering classes!  And I did not get an engineering degree; my degree is Political Science!!  

I guess it all comes down to where you go to school what the required core is for a particular degree!
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
I think every school is different. Below are the core requirements at Point Park:

Required Courses:

COMM 101 Oral Comm. & Pres. 3 credits
*ENGL 101 College Composition 3 credits
UNIV 101 City-University Life 3 credits Senior Capstone – DANC 480 3 credits
Choose thematic core courses in the following:
Explore the World - Choice 1 3 credits Explore the World - Choice 2 3 credits
Investigate Science 3 credits
Investigate Mathematics 3 credits
Interpret Creative Works 3 credits
Understand People - Choice 1 3 credits Understand People - Choice 2 3 creditsSucceed in Business 3 credits
Appreciate & Apply the Arts 3 credits Discover Technology 3 credits

Investigate Science? Investigate Math?  What the h*ll are those?
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

My guess is that they are more conceptual classes with less hard core math. I teach chemistry, and chemistry is all math. But I could explain basic concepts to you without any math at all. It would be probably about as much chemistry as the average adult remembers, anyway.
KB

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

Fancy names for the core subjects areas you need. Under each thread you can choose from a variety of courses to fulfill the requirement. That's why it says "choose thematic core courses".

So for "Investigate Science" you can take Gen Chem or Natural Sciences or Enviro Sci or whatever. For "Investigate Math" you take Calc or Algebra or Stats or whatever. "Investigate Science" isn't an actual class.

The names are admittedly pretty weird, but some colleges are trying to come up with better names for groupings instead of "humanities", etc.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I took a math class called Math Models and Computers, we didn't do much math.  Our final project was a power point presentation (this was when powerpoint was new and scary)
lovetowatch

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
It is interesting to read about how things differ across different Universities. In Texas for all public institutions the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has a lot of control over degree requirements. For any bachelor's degree (BA, BS, BFA, BBA, etc) there is a 42 hour "core" in which individual institutions have some control, but it is primarily the same across the state. It includes 6 hours of English/Communication (for most schools that means comp 1 and comp 2 but for some they substitute a communication/public speaking course for the 2nd comp), 3 hours of math (the lowest level of which is "college math" which is a step below "college algebra" - however individual majors often require higher math of course), 8 hours of lab science, 6 hours of US history (though some school allow 3 of those hours to be TX history instead), 6 hours of government (US and TX), 6 hours of language/philosophy/culture which includes English literature, foreign languages, world history and other related classes, 3 hours of arts, 3 hours of social science, which leaves 1 hour left over which in many schools is a PE course.

Private Universities and Colleges can do whatever their own Board of Regents approves, so there would be a lot more variety there. Also these requirements have become more stringent since many of us attended college. My sister has a BFA and was able to squeeze by just before the math requirement became standard (very lucky for her as she was not gifted in math.) That was in the 1990's.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I have my BS in Psychology from UMass, Amherst. I had to take all of the gen ed requirements such as math, English, history, etc. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
This is interesting.  I thought all colleges had the standard gen ed requirements.  I got my BA from Providence College and I had the standard gen eds.

Back to the OP, as far as BFA requirements, at Marymount Manhattan there are 62 dance credits, 40 liberal arts, and 18 open electives.  The liberal arts requirements are:

1 class in each of the below 100/200 level subject areas
Writing
Math
Creative Expression
Literature and Language
Natural Science and Mathematics
Psychology, Philosophy, and Religious Studies
Social Science, Business, and History

6 classes total with at least 1 from each of the below 300/400 level subject areas
Cultural Perspectives
Ethical Perspectives
Natural Science Perspectives
International Perspectives
U.S. Perspectives

At Juilliard they take 56 credits in Ballet, Modern, and Partnering, 64 credits in Dance Departmental Studies, and 20 Liberal Arts credits.

The liberal arts credits are
Freshman year - an ethics class and a social science class.
Sophemore year - are an arts class and an elective class
Junior year- 2 elective classes
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
This is interesting.  I thought all colleges had the standard gen ed requirements.  I got my BA from Providence College and I had the standard gen eds.

I'm sure there were some requirements beyond the classes for my degrees (I had a major and a minor) but I'm thinking they were probably just not what most people think of.  Wish I still had my transcripts because now I'm curious.  But I know I took no English beyond Freshman English.  And had no standard math or history.  That I am sure of.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I took a pretty wide array of classes for my engineering degree (including history, music theory, music performance, rifle shooting, psychology, wine) ... but I honestly don't recall what was required vs optional.  Most probably fulfilled a rather vague requirement to take something from other departments.  The only required "English" course was a freshman class, and truthfully was almost more history than English.  Wine wasn't required, but *HELLO* it involved wine tasting.  A nice break from the heavy load of math, physics, and computer related courses.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I find it interesting as well. I also have a BS from an engineering college. I took 8 classes, essentially one each semester, that fell into the humanities and social sciences. That included courses like technical writing, human dimensions in biomedical technology, and the sociology of mental illness. Still rather techy, but they were some of my more memorable courses. Definitely more memorable than either semester of physical chemistry or my 3 semesters of physics!

In contrast, dd is working on a degree from a liberal arts program. She had to take one science class and one math class, if I am not mistaken. Her core requirements include a course in ethics, government, foreign language (2 semesters), expository writing (2 semesters) plus some writing intensive courses in any area of her choice. I know I am missing a few. It added up to a surprising amount to me. I had no exposure to liberal arts curriculums.

It seems to me that her friends in BFA programs take about 1 or 2 courses each semester that are not dance related, give or take. Not including things like dance history, pedagogy, anatomy and kinesiology, etc.
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
My dd is in college at a large university.  Her math and science General Education requirements will be fulfilled by AP credit from high school in Calc, Comp. Sci, Environ. Science, Chemistry, Statistics. Two of the four humanities and social science requirements will also be fulfilled by AP courses she took in high school. She received AP credit for the first English class and will need to take one upper level writing intensive course. So, she only has to take two general education courses + one writing course. Although many students who are pre-med take summer classes to lighten the load, I don't think she will need to do that because of the AP coursework she completed in HS.

... However, I am encouraging her to complete a minor in Medical Ethics, one in Epidemiology, and possibly one in Dance (if she decides to not continue with dance team). So- even though she only has 2 more gen ed classes to take,  she will have at least one general ed type of course each semester.

Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
My dance major has to take
1 math above college algebra
2 English comp
1 English Lit
2 history
2 behavioral science
2 natural science + lab
1 fine art
2 foreign language
2 humanities
1 writing
These are core classes plus she's required to have a minor. She chose nutrition so she has those classes as well.
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Psmom,

That sounds like a lot of course work that would ensure students receive a well-rounded education.  When exploring Universities for pre-med and dance options for my dd, I found out that Indiana University Ballet majors are required to pursue a minor as a back-up in case of injury or if they change their mind about dance as long-term career.  A couple of years ago, one of the ballet dancers who had a minor in biology applied for and was accepted to IU Med School.  I think it is great that some of the programs encourage a well-rounded education to prepare their students for whatever they may want to pursue in their future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
My dance major has to take 1 math above college algebra 2 English comp 1 English Lit 2 history 2 behavioral science 2 natural science + lab 1 fine art 2 foreign language 2 humanities 1 writing These are core classes plus she's required to have a minor. She chose nutrition so she has those classes as well.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
My dance major has to take 1 math above college algebra 2 English comp 1 English Lit 2 history 2 behavioral science 2 natural science + lab 1 fine art 2 foreign language 2 humanities 1 writing These are core classes plus she's required to have a minor. She chose nutrition so she has those classes as well.

Looking at your DD's requirements, Marymount's requirements, and Point Park's requirements listed earlier in this thread, it looks like all three schools are actually pretty similar.  They just call the courses or course sections by different names, and the number of academic courses vary slightly.  From the actual academic course breakdown that has been shared on this thread, the only one that's considerably different is Juilliard with considerably less required academic courses.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

Looking at your DD's requirements, Marymount's requirements, and Point Park's requirements listed earlier in this thread, it looks like all three schools are actually pretty similar.  They just call the courses or course sections by different names, and the number of academic courses vary slightly.  From the actual academic course breakdown that has been shared on this thread, the only one that's considerably different is Juilliard with considerably less required academic courses.

I'm actually quite surprised by the requirement for a foreign language in college.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: