Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
lbgarner

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello, all! My 7 year old daughter is struggling with a tour jete. Any advice? Any videos, exercises to improve this? She's doing the move, but it looks choppy- not very graceful at all. 
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have no idea what a tour jete is, but I would assume at 7 it would probably not be executed very well because she's 7.

#7isthenew9
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
She's really young for tour jetes. My own DD who is 17 was struggling with them last year because she had been taught the wrong way. She worked with her ballet teacher in privates to fix them because she needed to do them in auditions. I would think at 7 your DD wouldn't need to worry about these. 
lbgarner

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Haha! You are probably correct. She has to do it in one of her dances, but it is what it is. 
lbgarner

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
lbgarner

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I thought it was a little advanced for her age. Bless her heart, she is trying so hard! 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
There's a teacher who thinks a 7 year old should be able to execute this?  For real?!!!

I suppose if she were a basketball coach, the 8 year old kids would be working on a two handed behind the back slam dunk.
BreezysMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Ummmmm.... yeah....no.....

I would really be questioning DT's thought process here.  There is no advice that we could give you on this forum that could help your DD right now. What she needs is time, growth and more classes.
lbgarner

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I appreciate it. I wasn't sure. I thought I would throw it out there. Thanks, everyone!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
She is 7. There is no way she possesses the core strength one needs to actually do a correct tour jete.  Relax.  Your life will be easier.  As she develops core strength and takes HOURS of ballet it will happen.

P.S.  7 seems to be the new 9 these days.....
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
I have no idea what a tour jete is, but I would assume at 7 it would probably not be executed very well because she's 7.

#7isthenew9

OMG - I didn't even see this!!!   Great minds..........[biggrin]
lbgarner

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
"#7 is the new 9"

LOL! That is funny, and she thinks she is 9 too.[rolleyes]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
What's funny is dd learned a tour jete the year age was 9 turning 10. She tells the story of me teaching her in the hallway in our house. She had changed from a comp school to a ballet school and had missed the years of all the preparation steps and arrived when they were putting it together and she was clueless.

Anyway, my story proves that 7 really is the new 9, or maybe even 10!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Oddly enough, it was introduced in a class taught by a teacher who was trained in RAD! Crazy, right? I think RAD moves even slower. It was the last pre-pointe level. I do not think they were intended to master the step. They had learned various parts and then put it together. Dd was in that level for 2 years (until age 11) and certainly did not perform a tour jete until she was at least the next level. I wouldn't even know when she would have performed it because by the time it showed up in choreography, it was completely mastered. (Trying to think about when it would have been in a performance... definitely Waltz of the Flowers which she understudied at 12 and performed at 13). 
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgarner
Hello, all! My 7 year old daughter is struggling with a tour jete. Any advice? Any videos, exercises to improve this? She's doing the move, but it looks choppy- not very graceful at all. 

Awww she's probably doing great for 7 if she can maneuver any part of that skill, choppy or not. I didn't start learning them until 6th grade (and I started dance at 4).

lbgarner

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
She is determined to get it or something like it. haha
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
My 17 year old didn't even begin working on this move until around 12. And despite being a strong, well-trained dancer, she has been out of dance completely for months now due to a hip injury sustained while doing this exact same move. The idea of a 7 year old trying to force a body not developmentally ready into doing this makes me cringe.
lbgarner

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Thanks for the info. I have done such research and found very few young dancers or gymnasts that can properly execute this movement. There are some exceptions but DD is not one of them. 😂
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Tour jete is definitely not a skill for a 7 year old.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
One thing you need to remember is that things can change drastically for a dancer and their abilities in even six months until dancers are 13/14 (there's something magical that seems to happen when dancers turn thirteen) so you shouldn't compare what your dancer can do to dancers even a year older than they are.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
My daughter "learned" it when she was 7y going on 8y, but it wasn't expected to be perfect. Personally I think it's a lot easier than the fuete's they are supposed to this year.
lbgarner

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
She's a little better, but you are right- not "perfect." I think that coordination comes with age. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: