Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We just got DD three new pairs of pointe shoes and she sowed two of them. After class tonight, she told me that one of the shoes feels too small. Her toes have to curl slightly and it also sounds like it isn't quite wide enough, which squishes her toes in the box. She said it was bearable and she would be able to use the pairs of shoes that she already sowed, but it hurts a bit. Do any of you have suggestions on what we can do to help fix this problem?
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Warning: Very new to pointe Mom here. But, as a Physical Therapist (20 + years of experience) I have to say that my advice is do not attempt to 'fix' this. Toss the shoes, hand them down if you know someone in that size, but you will spend far in excess of the cost of those shoes in co payments and therapy if she knowingly continues to dance with the feeling that the shoes hurt and her toes are curling. Toes should never feel like they are curling and the sensation of "squished" in the box is not healthy. My honest opinion is that it would be better for a young dancer to learn that proper fit of shoe is not something to compromise on than to try to learn to make shoes with these issues work. However, I'm very interested to hear what the veterans have to say on the matter and will be listening.
wvpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Toes curling against the platform is a definite don't dance in them, but I know that is easy to say when I didn't just spend $300 on shoes. You can try cutting the heel along the back seam a short way down and adding a small amount of elastic to give her a bit more length. I think there is a thread on Ballet Talk telling how to do this. The pointe shoes forum there has so much information it is definitely worth taking a look at. The width issue/squeezing the toes is easier. After she dances in them for awhile they will widen slightly just from breaking down from the sweat on her feet. To quicken this process she can dampen (not soak) the areas of the box where she feels pressure with a bit of water or rubbing alcohol before she puts them on and this will allow those areas to stretch a little more/conform to her foot better. Hope this helps!
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you, ladies. I talked to her again, and she said that it wasn't so much curling and length as width, but we will try the cutting and elastic anyways. She also said that after wetting down and breaking in the boxes a bit more the width was less of a problem, and this is only her first time wearing them. If the problem persists, though, we will get rid of them, though that certainly won't make me or my wallet very happy.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Good luck with the cut and elastic.  I did that with two pairs that were outgrown immediately and while DD was able to wear them they weren't ideal and slid off her heels in an annoying way.  I did hers with my sewing machine.  First I sewed back and forth on either side of the planned cut repeatedly to attach the elastic and secure the drawstring, then I carefully cut the back of the shoe while keeping the elastic intact.  She ended up wearing them for a lower level pointe class she was taking that was mostly barre work and didn't get a lot of use from them, but it helped stretch the budget and buy me some time. 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Sell them and get new ones?  It probably depends how many kids you know who are in pointe but it could work.  At least you would get some $$ back and her shoes would fit properly.  

Advice for new pointe moms out there......even if your dd's feet aren't growing, her shoe needs will change, depending on how much pointe she is taking.  If she is still growing or not going through a pair a month or less, don't buy multiple pairs of pointe shoes. 
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Ditto ballerinamom13 - sell them. I've had some luck on eBay with unsewn shoes but sewn and unworn shoes would probably sell if the price was right. We've got a "too small" pointe shoe graveyard here because of the growing/changing foot issue. 
BalletMom2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We may have found at least a partial solution. DD normally uses toe pads and lambs wool for padding, but instead she just used paper towel and said that it felt much less cramped and still cushioned her toes.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Padding does make a big difference!

I've bought and sold on EBAY. I also started a FB buy/sell page for this purpose as the dancewear resale pages tend not to have pointe shoes. It is The Pointe Shoe Exchange. I get absolutely nothing from the page. Just another place to try to get rid of shoes that didn't work and to find shoes at a savings
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Since my DD is still growing and trying out different shoes, I try not to buy more than one pair at a time until I know her feet are done growing or she found a shoe that works.  We go for a new fitting every time she needs new shoes.  More expensive than buy online, but will save money overall in wasted shoes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: