Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
mom2dancingdiva

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 

Has anyone ever attended this convention?  We have this on the possible list this year so I'm looking for feedback.

JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I was looking at this one, too.  It, unfortunately, does not come to my area.  But the faculty looks great!
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
A few dancers from my studio, ranging in age from 8-16, have gone the past two years. They have all come back speaking very highly of the experience. Can't give any personal experiences though, since I haven't been!
Zuckermaus

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
They are coming to our area and so I looked into it.  I like that it's a one day event, but unfortunately it's on Saturday and DD has class.  Strange they would pick Saturday...most one day conventions do Sunday because they know many dancers can't attend on Saturday.
mom2dancingdiva

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Well we registered for the St. Louis stop at the end of the month. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Kitzka

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We wanted to go last year but weren't all to fit it in. This year we atre definitely making it work. The closest one s 3 hours away but I already sent in my registration form and booked my hotel.

My daughter is excited.

mom2dancingdiva

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Well we attended the Titans of Dance Convention yesterday.  My DD10 had fun and our SO commented that she looked good doing choreo so that should be the most important thing, right?!  First, only one of the advertised choreographers showed up.  They did bring in Joshua Allen (SYTYCD Season 4 winner) and a "lead assistant" to Nappy Tabs.  Then because of low attendance they put all the dancers in one room, instead of three age groups!  It appeared that the teachers taught choreo they planned for the seniors and the minis and some juniors were lost. 

You would think with such mixed ages when they broke them in groups, they would do it by age...Nope!  They just split the room based on who was standing where.  They did eventually have the littlest minis go in a group by themselves, but the "older" minis were SOL. 

The convention staff was nice enough but not sure if we will attend again.  Maybe we will give them a few years to get a little more experience.
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
mom2dancingdiva,
I read online that they don't do an audition but rather they watch you all day and give scholarship that way.  Did you notice that it was fair and are they generous with the scholarships?  Did any of your minis get one since they combined them and gave them hard chero?
I actually like that they do not have an audition but rather watch them all day.  My DD9 usually does great all day in class then as issues during the audition combo.  LOL
I am really liking these smaller one day conventions for her and am looking at this one as an optional as well.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We went last year and I can echo what mom2dancingdiva said. Even years later they compressed the two younger age groups into one large group and left the older dancers in their own group. I knew how they handled scholarships and hoped (not even for my DD just for all the truly mini age group kids, 9 and under) that they would be sure to acknowledge some of the young talent there that day. Not so.

I actually found this old topic because I was wondering if anyone else had attended and had the suspicions that I did. I was wondering if this was a convention that SOs have some degree of input with regards to scholarship or recognition? I seem to remember someone here discussing this sort of thing with regards to a different convention.

While I liked the day overall I did not like that they combined the younger age groups at all. There were more than enough attendees and more than enough room to separate them out (even if they didn't want to pay for a separate ballroom they could have easily asked all the younger kids to stay to the right all of the older kids stay to the left for example)... I felt that they just did not care about addressing the needs of the younger attendees.

Faculty was nice and approachable and the quality of the choreography was good. I cannot say that the feedback was consistently good, meaning that a lot of what their faculty had to say was extremely general and nothing you couldn't hear from an episode of SYTYCD. With one exception. Kevin Tate was absolutely incredible and his feedback was outstanding.
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Titans has been mandatory for our company dancers the past two years. As far as conventions go, it is ok. It's cool to meet some of the SYTYCD alumni, but you never know exactly who is gonna show up....
Some of them make better instructors than others, and I know a lot of our older kids were really turned off by one contemporary teacher two years ago, he was really rude and yelling at kids that they sucked. As far as awards and stuff I dunno how they choose, it is crowded and didn't seem like any rhyme or reason to their choices to me. 🤷‍♀️
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.