Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone have any tips for wigs? DD has a wig for one of her group dances, and I can get it to stay on her head but the edges slip back a little and show her natural hair. Has anyone had experience getting a wig to stay properly but be able to take on and off quickly for fast costume changes at a comp? We're new to using wigs, so any advice is much appreciated!!
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We will have a wig this year too (Trolls), so Iā€™m curious of any tips as well. I assumed that it would have to be bobby pinned all around with a million pins to stay on, which I am not looking forward to at all.
Last year DD had a cupcake and that was such a pain in the butt. šŸ˜œ
threegirlpileup

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
definitely use a wig cap! 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
When DS had wigs we used It Stays on the forehead area to hold the front on.
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimisMom
We will have a wig this year too (Trolls), so Iā€™m curious of any tips as well. I assumed that it would have to be bobby pinned all around with a million pins to stay on, which I am not looking forward to at all.
Last year DD had a cupcake and that was such a pain in the butt. šŸ˜œ

Ours is a trolls dance too, haha šŸ˜†
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threegirlpileup
definitely use a wig cap! 

Any particular kind that you've found works well? There seems to be a few styles when I search for them
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
When DS had wigs we used It Stays on the forehead area to hold the front on.

Does it leave much residue on the skin, or does it come off easily? I saw It Stays recommended on some you tube videos and just wondering about that aspect of it
GigiDncr

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #8 
If you are pinning it, the trick is having something to pin it to. Under the wig, can you put her hair in pin curls? Then, you need to use the large bobby pins to secure the wig to her hair.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedancingdaughters
Does it leave much residue on the skin, or does it come off easily? I saw It Stays recommended on some you tube videos and just wondering about that aspect of it

We found it came off pretty easy with alcohol wipes.
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom

We found it came off pretty easy with alcohol wipes.

Nice, I ordered some to try out! We have a performance coming up in a couple weeks, so I'll give a good test run at that before comps start!
DMSO

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
1. Make sure your hair is flat and tight to your head. We typically use braids.
2. Wig cap covering your hairline and bobby pinned to the braids underneath.
3. Have your dancer hold the front of the wig in front of their forehead cap line and put the wig on front to back.
4. Crisscross bobby pin the heck out of the wig.
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 

Definitely wig clips!  I wear a hairpiece in regular day to day life and these are so much easier than pins.

They look like this:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Wig-Snap-Metal-Hair-Clips-For-Wigs-Hair-Extensions-33x16mm-Wholesale/331327413543?hash=item4d24a71d27:m:mQRy8XI3iVuqWmYw_AI6Yig

Just sew them in and no more clips.  They snap like a clip barrett.

Brontasaurus

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I agree that wig clips are the best!
They work best if they have something to pull against. If there isn't time to do a braid along the hairline (and maybe even if there is), I like to use the tiny hair bands (the size like braces bands) and put them on small chunks of hair in a couple spots to give the clips something to grab onto well.
My daughter and I both have thin/slick hair that things can slip off of easily, but the clips and tiny ponytails will keep a wig on through anything.
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Those clips look like they might work! Her hair has to be smoothed back in a bun for all her other dances, so braids might work, but I might be able to figure a way to get small rubber bands in somehow
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 

Just back from holiday but thought I'd throw this out there.

I have super-fine hair and alopecia... what I've got isn't very strong. But wig clips stick in just fine.  I have 6 on my piece, and it doesn't budge.

threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I ended up using wig clips at the dance show we attended and they worked great!!
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedancingdaughters
I ended up using wig clips at the dance show we attended and they worked great!!

Did you use a cap as well or just clip into the hair?
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimisMom
Did you use a cap as well or just clip into the hair?

I don't use a cap, but not sure what the OP did.  You shouldn't need one if you're using clips.

threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I used a wig cap mostly to keep hair from falling down under the wig (troll wig). I probably wouldn't have used it if I could keep her hair a bun, but this wig would not have fit otherwise. So had to put hair in a ponytail and the cap helped keep it in place so it didn't stick out from under the wig. (She has super long hair). I put five clips in the wig.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.