Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
angelashunter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD5 is VERY HARD on her tights. Two nights of dance per week and 2 pair of brand-new tights with holey knees twice this week. Need recommendations for some durable tights (suntan convertibles preferred).

We currently purchase the Balera T90C which is what our studio requires for recital.

Open to any suggestions!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have found that Bloch tights wear very well.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, I second Bloch for the little ones.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I primarily buy these 2 -

https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_1816C.html?pid=474&Shop=Style&rfilter=Category%23Tights%3ABrand%23Capezio%3A&SID=1220101603

https://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_1916C.html?pid=21226&Shop=Style&rfilter=Category%23Tights%3ABrand%23Capezio%3A&SID=1220101509

I have a few tips about tights and making them last :

1. Always buy a bit bigger than you think you need. They tend to wear better if they aren't too "stretched" I don't buy them ginormous, but if she's 6 you might think you need size 2-6...definitely buy the children's 8-10...and I put my tall DD7 in adult small most of the time now. As long as they aren't baggy, you are good to go.

2. Never ever allow kids to walk on the feet without shoes on. I tend to buy transition tights for this reason, so if my kid wants to go barefoot in the studio (which ew, but I know they are going to do it) they can pull the tights up off of their feet. When they go without shoes and the feet are over the tights, they tend to get snags and dirty. I also try and encourage warm up boots or slides when walking around.

3. Always hang tights to dry, never heat dry. It breaks down the fibers and fades them much quicker.

And bonus...At some point, depending on what kind of program you stay in, small runs or picks etc in tights are no big deal for day to day practice. We keep "practice" tights, nicer practice tights, and a few pairs of performance tights. When the performance tights start looking worn I move them to nicer practice tights and so on.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I but the cheap theatrics brand from discount dance for classes. I think they hold up better than the expensive body wrappers they make us buy for stage. 
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Agree with  5678StarMom - as well as Bloch and Capezio.  But most of all buy them bigger.  My DD8 usually gets adult smalls now - and they tend to last much longer.  We also hang dry.

We have a darn beagle puppy who has taken out two pair in the last week!! Ugh.  Can't get them off of her quick enough.  [smile]
angelashunter

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks all!

My DD9 can go months in the same tights.

We always delicate cycle wash and hang dry.

I'll try some of your brand recommendations and let you know how it goes for us....[crazy]
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I know nobody will believe me but I swear it's the truth.  When my daughter was about 4 our studio was clearancing out some Baryshnikov tights.  They were cheap and the required color so I bought one pair.  That pair of tights was worn multiple times per week including recitals (they looked great) from the age of 4 until the age of 13.  They were a little bit baggy around the ankles at first but they grew right along with my daughter.  I think they probably stopped making them because they were way too durable and nobody was buying more pairs.
AnnaBeav

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
1. Always buy a bit bigger than you think you need.

2. Never ever allow kids to walk on the feet without shoes on.

3. Always hang tights to dry, never heat dry.

We keep "practice" tights, nicer practice tights, and a few pairs of performance tights. When the performance tights start looking worn I move them to nicer practice tights and so on.

Yes to all of the above!

If you have footed tights you can always cut holes in the bottom of the feet so they can be rolled up like convertible tights.

We have performance tights (new - newish), class tights (faded and worn but in good shape) and then rehearsal tights (runs, faded & stained). My daughter recently asked me what would it take for me to actually throw a pair of tights out. 😄
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.