Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
madisondancer27

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My DD's teams are competitng at Thunderstruck, and her small group at both Thunderstruck and KAR. I am only letting her choose one competition to compete her solo at since she has already competed it a ton this year. What solo experiences has everyone had and if you have been to both which do you prefer?? Thanks for the help
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We've done both and I vote KAR!
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
What type of solo is she doing?  My daughter has competed her solo 3 times now (contemporary) and although it was performed pretty much the same way all three times, it did the worst at KAR.  There were many of the same dancers at the first two competitions at one she was top 3 (unsure of her exact placement because she was adjudication only but only 3 received the highest level of scoring) at KAR she was 7th overall with practically all the same dancers as the first comp.  If your daughter is doing contemporary or lyrical, I'd say go with Thunderstruck.  But if it's jazz, tap or hip hop I'd say either one, whichever works better for your schedule.
IteachM

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We've done both too.  I vote KAR as well. Our experiences at Thunderstruck have varied wildly. KAR results seem more consistent.
Good luck!
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We have not been to Thunderstruck, but when it comes to KAR, I agree with Julieg!  It depends on style.  Locally, KAR seems to reward flash over technique.
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD did both her contemporary and musical theatre at KAR this weekend. Judges loved her (very weird, out of the box) contemporary, and did not reward her flashy MT dance at all. I did not like Thunderstruck when we attended 2 years ago. All 3 judges share the same scoring and mic. One judge dominated, and LOVED (not sure how MANY times she told us she LOVED, flashy, high energy jazz). Dances from our studio that were technically not as good and rarely placed, placed. The technical/artistic girls scored below them. Girls who had not placed before have not placed again since. They placed that day because of the strong adoration of flashy, high energy jazz by that one judge. She also controlled the whole conversation in critiques. Not a fan!

Again, it could be just the judges you get that day too.
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We have never been to KAR, but I love Thunderstruck.  Their judging is tough, but it's fair & consistent with other comps we attend.  Our experience is that jazz & tap do better than lyrical & contemporary at Thunderstruck, though.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We haven't been to Thunderstruck in a few years, but I really couldn't handle the insane blaring of "Thunderstuck" by ACDC at the opening of every day of competition, after every break, and for every award ceremony!  
rmarti123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
We haven't been to Thunderstruck in a few years, but I really couldn't handle the insane blaring of "Thunderstuck" by ACDC at the opening of every day of competition, after every break, and for every award ceremony! 

I could see that getting really old, really fast [biggrin]
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I think the ACDC music is the best part.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: