Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
A friend posted this on fb a few days ago.

http://www.onstageblog.com/columns/2016/8/29/the-top-10-bfa-dance-programs-in-the-country-for-2016-17

Opinions? Thoughts?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I think it's very difficult to figure out how these things actually work and what makes them qualify programs the way they do. I will agree that Juliard could very easily be the top dance program in the country. I also agree these are all great programs. I think there are many top schools missing, Marymount, Pace and USC to name but a few. I also don't see SUNY being ranked lower than say Montclair or Point Park.
I think you take it all with a grain of salt. The best in one person's eyes will be the worst for another. It's like that too 50 dance studios poll that came out awhile ago. It was basically a bunch of hooey.
lovetowatch

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I find it difficult to take an article seriously when it is written so poorly - multiple grammar errors in just the first couple of sentences. To me that indicates that it is not from a reliable source.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
This source seems to just google "best _____ programs" and spit back the results. I've seen their theater and musical theater lists, too, and they are riddled with errors and outdated info. Surely every program on this list is respectable, but so are many not on this list (BOCOB, USC, Pace, etc.) I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as a "best" college program, every student has different needs and a college search shouldn't be about finding the best program, it should be about finding the best fit. The college my son is at is a perfect match for him, but even though they have a top ranked program in dance, it would be a horrible choice for my dancer for the simple reason that the winters are harsh and she would never go to class in January and February because she doesn't function when it is much under 70 degrees.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I also noticed that it states that Montclair doesn't offer an MFA. It actually does,
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
If exclusivity or hard-to-get-into are factors, then a few on that list do not belong IMO.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.