Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancindaughter

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Competition this weekend went well.  Platinum for all but one of her groups.  Everyone thought her solo looked amazing on stage, but come awards she got high gold again.  DD is 14, and no matter how many times I tell her 3 opinions, blah blah blah, she still really wants to hit that top adjudication and contend for a top 10 spot.  I got a text while she was still onstage expressing her disappointment.  I reiterated that we all thought it was her best time onstage.  Once adjudications were complete each of the 3 judges gave a special award.  The award session was for all teen/senior dances, not just solos.  Judge 3 comes up and starts talking about a dancer that she couldn't take her eyes off of the entire time, was captivating, etc, and lo and behold they call dd's number.  I told dd I would take that award 1000 times over her getting that elusive (for her)platinum, because she can always continue to work on technique, but that stage presence and performance value that she has cannot be taught.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
dancindaughter - I completely understand this. My dd14 nailed her solos this weekend, and got Gold for both. When her adjudication for her MT solo was announced, people not from our studio said that they thought she won the category against their dd. When her tap solo was announced, other random people said that it made no sense, and that she was great.

I am so incredibly proud of the way she performed, and I don't really care what the judges said. However, it hurts to see her get down on herself after she knows she danced well. I asked her "Who do you dance for?" She replied that she danced for her two choreographers/DTs and herself. I told her that it is the opinion of those 3 people that really matter - not the opinion of the random 3 who judged her. (And she, too has never received platinum - at least not yet).

Hang in there!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DS started solos at 16 and didn't win his first platinum until he was 19 years old.  It will happen for them.
brightblue

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Congratulations! I hope that gave her a confidence boost. Similar thing for my daughter last weekend. She was up against some technically very strong dancers, and I didn't think she had much of a chance to make it into overalls. She didn't, but she got a judge's award for "stunning simplicity" which I thought was pretty cool.
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I think that is an amazing award to get and such an honor.  I would also take it over a high adjudication, any day.  I always tell myself (and my DD), that none of this means anything outside of the comp world.  If she wants to join a local contemporary company or something in college, they aren't going to ask her how many platinums she got during her time in competitive dance [wink]  They are going to be looking at quality of movement, technique, the ability to commit emotionally to a piece, etc.

For me, standing out and catching the eye of a dance professional is huge.  My DD 12 was called out in a master class for the first time ever at our 2nd comp of the year.  She was over the moon to be noticed! That meant more to her than anything that weekend.

My DD also had her best solo performance of the season this past weekend.  She is a first year soloist and at the bottom of the teen age group.  She had her best performance by far this past weekend and was super bummed to get a gold adjudication - she was a tenth of a point away from platinum (we were at showstopper - so they have double platinum, platinum and then gold).  She ended up placing 10th overall (so she was really happy to make it into the overalls - even if it was a top 10) out of around 30 girls.  The judges only gave out one double platinum in the whole session.  Her DT felt she was robbed a bit on her adjudication, but it really doesn't matter.  She has come such a long way this year and dance is a marathon, not a sprint.  If you're in it for long term development, then patience is the ultimate virtue. As long as there is growth, that's all that matters.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread - but wanted to commiserate!  Congrats to your DD on her special award.  Hopefully, it gave her encouragement to keep on working!  Validation isn't everything, but it sure doesn't hurt to get some.  I am glad that your DD did, even if it didn't come in the form that she anticipated.

One more thing.  I saw a quote last night by Abraham Lincoln and sent it to my DD. 

It says:  I will prepare and someday my chance will come.  [thumb]
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD17 is the her fifth year of doing solos. For the first three years, it was high gold and no overall city. Last year, she got a high gold but a thoughtful judges choice award. After that, she finally got some platinums and overalls. This year it's platinum and overall every time. I know it would be easy to blame it on the fact that her solos are tap. Some kids just need to cook longer. During those years, her BFFs got tons of platinums and overalls for their lyrical and contemporary solos. Not going to lie, those three years were very discouraging. But it taught DD how to be humble, how to be a gracious winner and loser, how life isn't always fair and how to work her tail off. No trophies for these but way more important.
Eightcount

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindaughter
Competition this weekend went well.  Platinum for all but one of her groups.  Everyone thought her solo looked amazing on stage, but come awards she got high gold again.  DD is 14, and no matter how many times I tell her 3 opinions, blah blah blah, she still really wants to hit that top adjudication and contend for a top 10 spot.  I got a text while she was still onstage expressing her disappointment.  I reiterated that we all thought it was her best time onstage.  Once adjudications were complete each of the 3 judges gave a special award.  The award session was for all teen/senior dances, not just solos.  Judge 3 comes up and starts talking about a dancer that she couldn't take her eyes off of the entire time, was captivating, etc, and lo and behold they call dd's number.  I told dd I would take that award 1000 times over her getting that elusive (for her)platinum, because she can always continue to work on technique, but that stage presence and performance value that she has cannot be taught.

I am a bit late but CONGRATULATIONS to your girl. To be a stand out to a judge is a great accomplishment! So cool!!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.