Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Both my girls (6 and 8) did creative movement in preschool, then did gymnastics for two years. They returned to dance two years ago.

They both tried out for our comp team and to my shock they both made it. I'm a little fearful as sibling rivalry has recently reared its head. Advice?

On the one hand I'm thrilled they both made it. On the other, I'd like to avoid a meltdown during the comp season.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Congratulations! 
Advice? Don't worry about it-it's the teacher's job to make sure they behave in class!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Advice?  There will always be sibling rivalry.  I'm sure you're bringing them up right to support each other.  Some feelings of competitiveness will always be there but you guide them through it.  I've had 4 daughters that dance and we've dealt with this on some level or another for 8 years.  My DD11 wins all the time whereas it is a big deal when DD15 even earns platinum for a solo and although there is a little bit of jealousy I'm proud to say DD15 has been extremely supportive of her younger sister.  Encourage them in all areas and whichever one ends up succeeding less in dance I'm sure will have other areas where she has strengths and you just keep focusing on those strengths and always keeping it positive.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My daughters have excelled in different areas of dance as long as you don't foster a rivalry you'll be fine. The more important thing is how will your pocket book handle two daughters in dance?
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yeah, I'm a little freaked out about the money question, but we're going to let things take their own course. They are driving the bus on dance (this is unfamiliar territory for me.)

I do worry about rivalry. I've seen some evidence in my youngest that she feels very competitive with her sister. Just want to keep their relationship healthy.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
More advice? Please don't let a 6 and 8 year old "drive the bus". Ask questions. Read stuff. Learn about the competition dance world so you aren't surprised with the degree of commitment-both financially and with the time required. 
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
That was probably a poor choice of words. Our studio only has 3 competitions per season and they are all local. I'm letting them drive the boat this year to get a sense of how serious they really are.

Depending on whether they can keep it together at school and really work on their technique, etc. we'll consider whether to invest in more training/hours/classes.

I figured one would dance. I'm a little surprised about the second one. We'll see where this goes. I'm a big believer in kids finding the thing that "moves" them. If this is it, then so be it. If not, better to know now.

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Congratulations to your girls!  Definitely use this year to feel out how committed they are and whether or not this is a good move for your family.  Good luck!
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Congratulations! I agree with rdsmom. You need to be the bus driver, ship captain, etc. Not the children, not the other dance moms, and not the SO/DT.

My advice is to be careful - don't drink the kool-aid that is offered by some comp dance teams. Don't get sucked into any drama, or feel that you need to sign them up for every dance possible. I don't know how your studio handles their comp team (every one is different). If possible, try to stick to one group dance each. Ideal for you if they are in the same dance although that may not be what your SO has in mind (less competition with each other).

Your children are very young, and being at a dance competition can make for some very long days, especially if they are in different age groups, different levels, different dances, etc. Start slowly and let it build. It's great that you would only need to commit to 3 non-travel comps, but if you have multiple dancers in multiple numbers it can get crazy, especially with costume and hair changes. When my dancer started comp dance I think she was 9 (just finished our last comp of the year and she is 14 and this is her 5th year on the team, so the math seems right). Our studio started their new team members off slowly, with one group being offered. It was absolutely the right move. Start slow and see how you ALL like it. Your dancers may love it, they may hate it, one may love it and the other thinks it is okay, you may hate it (or any other combination).

Please understand that I'm not trying to scare you. I personally LOVE competition dance, and so does DD14, and we understand that this is just an expensive hobby for us. Don't be afraid to ask questions of the more experienced dance parents, and the teachers.

And, you are part of this forum - these people here give great advice, even if it is not always what you want to hear. Don't be afraid to ask.
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks so much. I appreciate the advice.

Our studio seems to have its head on straight. 3 local competitions, each girl is cast in 3 dances. Performance fee which includes costumes is $800 each. Rehearsal/Class fee is $80/month. The youngest will take one 90 minute combo class in addition, the oldest has 3 hours (same as last year.)

Certainly not cheap. But a doable experiment to see where their heads (and hearts) are at.

Learning a ton on the forum. Thanks for the welcome.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
What exactly is a performance fee? Is that the comp fees? Each company should cost about $120 per kid so $360 for 3. $800 is kind of crazy even with costumes.
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
This is the description:

"This fee includes, but is not limited to the following: Vision gear, Contest Entry Fees, Costume Fees, Prop Fees,Gym Floor Fees, Choreography, Master Classes, Accessories."

Does not include shoes or tights.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdancemomx2
This is the description:

"This fee includes, but is not limited to the following: Vision gear, Contest Entry Fees, Costume Fees, Prop Fees,Gym Floor Fees, Choreography, Master Classes, Accessories."

What are "gym floor fees"?  Never heard of that in dance.  "Contest entry fees" is a weird one too.  I'm assuming it means comp fees?
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdancemomx2
This is the description:

I'm a little concerned about them charging you for vision gear. What exactly is that? Amd I'm guessing gym floor fees is studio rental fees and contest entry fees are comp fees, but the wording is really weird.
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Sorry, Vision is the name of the team..... nothing to do with eyesight! Contest entry is competition fees.

If you make the team multiple years, that's one of the areas when they reduce the overall fee since you don't need to rebuy some of that stuff (t-shirt, bag, etc.)
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
So the official parent meeting is in two weeks... what should I ask about besides fees?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
What kind of studio refers to comp fees as "contest fees". Sounds odd. What kind of competitions do they do?
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Where are you located?  Yes, the "contest" fees and "gym floor" fees sounds like it's not in the US.
brizziemum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Where are you located?  Yes, the "contest" fees and "gym floor" fees sounds like it's not in the US.

Though I notice she calls herself Texas mom. If you google dance contest texas there are a number of companies that have "dance contest dates" - some of these are for high school dance groups.
Being Australian I'm used to eisteddfodau,with the occasional dance fest or festival, so it doesn't raise a flag to me.
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Yes, I'm in Texas.

I guess I'm not really caught up in terminology since I knew what they meant. I know they do Talent on Parade regionals and I'm not sure what others. (It's my first year.)

2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
In Texas, there are a few dance competitions mostly school teams and some studio teams competing. It's "Drill team" competition. They call the competition "Contest". It's mostly Intermediate level, but there are very talented dancers also doing solos. It's usually held at a school gym, and the "contest" is the host school's fundraiser. We have to pay $10 to see the competitions. It's only on Saturdays and it could get very long. 

http://www.showtimeint.com
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I think "gym floor fee" could be something your studio has to pay to rent a gym for your dress rehearsal. Judges sit at the top level of the bleacher because they also have to score on the formation and spacing. It's different from regular dance competitions. Lighting is bad, yellow gym floor washes out dancers' faces.
I personally think they don't need to rent a gym to rehearse for a team with your kids' age, but it's necessary and helpful when you compete at high school level. In my area, a lot of competitive dancers quit studio team and join school/drill dance team when they enter high school, that's why there are good soloists competing.

I'm glad your DDs are doing Talent on Parade. We always had good experience with lighting and photo/video quality and it's usually at an auditorium in DFW area. Where in TX are you?
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
We're in Austin. A lot of our girls wind up in drill team in high school. The ones that make it to the upper level troupe (and stick with it during the high school years) dance in college as a major -- there were two last year who danced but were microbiology majors! A few get the ballet bug and ultimately switch to one of the two main ballet schools in town. So it's a mix.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: