Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancer417

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

As my daughter graduated a couple years ago from high school and moved out the competitive dance world, she has gone to college and joined greek life there, where each year she gets to have a taste of her former dance-life: the sororities on campus all field a team and create a dance to compete against each other. This is a charity event, and winning can result in money going toward your sorority's philanthropy, but also, I think for a former competitive dancer, it would just be nice to win haha. 

This year my daughter is going to be in charge of her sorority's team and was talking to me about being stuck on a theme//songs to get started on thinking about their routine this year.  Past themes have ranged from: "the bachelor", "america", "hunger games", "basketball", and simpler themes too (which I think are always better and easier) BUT each dance must be "linked" together by some theme, kind of like a production dance for those of you who have children that dance competitively. 

I thought that since she is a little stumped, maybe you all could throw some suggestions into the ring?

Thanks! Hope everyone's seasons are going well!
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I saw a "welcome to the jungle" production last year that had a lot of great songs. 
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
What about a Latin theme? There are so many new catchy songs. Despacito, mi gente, etc. Then they can contribute to the hurricane victims if they win.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
What about a Latin theme? There are so many new catchy songs. Despacito, mi gente, etc. Then they can contribute to the hurricane victims if they win.

I'll add a song "Instruction" Jax Jones/Demi Levato.

[smile]
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Is this done during Greek Week?  If so does the week itself have a theme to it?  Many do I know. 

If you don't have to work within the confines of a specific theme, here are a few suggestions:

Runway/Fashion, Candyland, Under the Sea/Surfing, Fire/Hot, Magic, Aliens/Space, Seasons, Months of the year

Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
A few years ago, my daughters studio did a Richard Simmons/ 80's workout theme hip hop dance for World of Dance.   The dance did very well and was the people's choice winner.  But, they would probably need a boy to pull it off.  I was going to post the link but I watched it and I'm not sure I want anyone to see it.  They had fun though!
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Do all the sororities use the same theme or is it a different theme for each sorority?
dancer417

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccasmom
Do all the sororities use the same theme or is it a different theme for each sorority?

Every sorority chooses a different theme! and it is not in conjunction with any week long festivities, it all benefits the campus' center for eating disorders though and all sororities participate.  The theme is certainly wide open which kind of makes it harder to nail down a single theme....
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
What about Disney? So many songs/versions to choose from.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I'll offer a different approach. What do they want to wear or is there a prop that they want to use. Sometimes working backwards helps.

For example, they could approach it from a costuming standpoint and if their costumes are all very hip hop oriented the music really should follow that lead.

I saw something that I think maybe someone posted here last year of a group dance where all the kids were dressed as older folks in a retirement home, it was really cute.
dancer417

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
The dance is always more hip hop//jazz themed... these are college kids who like rap and the likes as "popular" music and those tend to win more often.  We are entertaining "Bad and Boujee" like the song, as the theme, and using songs like "rolex" and other of those types of songs.  The budget only allows 20 dollars per dancer for costuming (!!!! If ONLY this were the case at DD's old studio [rolleyes]) so I think that will probably be kept relatively low key.  On a similar note, have any of you seen the BYU cougarette dance to "Rolex"? They were AWESOME (not comp style, but awesome synchronization and cleanliness). This gave DD the idea for this theme.  What do you all think? Any other song suggestions to fit this theme???
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.