Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Billpayer2000

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Our studio is relatively new to the competition scene.  We are on our 5th season of 2 or 3 comps each year.  We have moved from 2 team levels/ages to 3.  Very comp lite compared to what some studios do.

My questions...

1. do your studios stay with the same competitions from year-to-year?
  2. are some new and some old?
  3. all different each year

We seem to keep one the same and the other 2 different, but none are still in circulation from the few years.  I think the SO picks weekends to compete and then decides where we go with the last being 1.5-2 hours away so the girls can travel and do the hotel fun with their team if they choose. 

I like the variety, but I feel like we could benefit from some familiarity, especially since some of the ones we no longer attend are ones where the girls not only received good feedback, but achieved some competitive successes as well. 

dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My daughter is an independent dancer right now, but we were with a few different studio comp teams for many years prior. We would always return to some comps we loved, but every season, maybe every other season, we would try out a new competition or convention and see how that went. If the general consensus was that we liked the comp, the chances would be high that we would return the next season. 
MimisMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We attend a couple of the same comps every year but are trying a few new ones out every once in a while. I wish we’d stay with the same ones, at least this way I know where I’m going. Especially since we are fairly new to Comp dance.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
At a new studio this year, but were with the same studio for several years. We always went to 2 of the same comps each year, and switched up the remaining 2. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Both studios stuck to pretty much the same comps year after year but occasionally they would switch it up with 1 new one.  It was nice going back to the same comps because we got to know the directors, etc.  We have far fewer comps to chose from in Canada so it is hard to do an entirely different set every year.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We have a few old standbys that often make their way into the schedule and then try new ones too. Usually one of the standbys is a nationals backup too because she likes to try new nationals but wants to experience the regionals before committing. We kind of know when one has run it’s course for us and time to take a break or cycle it out. Having connections from revisiting the same comp has its benefits from what it seems.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
The studio were dd competed tries a new competition most years. They don't necessarily send everyone to whatever the new one is (they don't send everyone to every comp in general).  
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Our studio seems to return to the same ones - but over time - like years, we change to others.  We personally will try a new one this year (just our solo).  We don't do many though - only 4 comps in a season.
Marie123

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We do 4-5 each year. They are all local (the furthest are 30-40 minutes away). There is one we always do and then the rest are a mix of new and old.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
All the major conventions we compete (NYCDA, Jump, Nuvo, 24/seven, Adrenaline) are always the same. We compete limited numbers per the convention rules.

Regular competitions (Hall of Fame, Showbiz, etc. that don't have conventions) always change to go between the convention schedules and we compete every single dances the team has. We do 1 or 2 of those full competitions.
Sprmom2679

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Our new studio switches them up and we have optional ones to attend extras if we want.  They will attend the same main one for a couple of years if they are going to do their nationals which is nice.  Whichever one will be nationals we also have an optional travel opportunity for that convention.

Our old studio bounced around a bit until they found one that they did well at and now have mainly stuck with that one for the most part (Adrenaline).  Each year they have done even more with that company so they attend several conventions, they go to their nationals, they have them out for in studio intensives, and they hire the convention teachers to choreograph their dances including some solo's.  They travel with them as well.  Some cities they take all the dances, some cities just the teens go for example, and in some cities kids travel individually.  With the addition of Revive they also attend those both in town and traveling.  They also do NRG because the SO's know the owners (used to teach one of them) and the other owner choreographs their production for a few years now.  Other than that they do the comps with no conventions in between Adrenaline/Revive.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
DD's studio is super new - this is only the 3rd year they will be competing.  SO is new to dance competitions in general so she is still figuring out which competitions are the best fit for our studio.  We are more musical theater and dance performance focused.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.