Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I believe I've seen reference to this show on here. I see Briar Nolet is in it, so I'm guessing it's a Canadian show. I tried to catch an episode on YouTube to see what it's all about but it was blocked in the US due to copyright. I'm sure I could find an episode I can watch if I put some effort in, but this isn't really about the show, per se.

I've been seeing videos from the show pop up on my Facebook feed... and not for anything good. Apparently they have videos that introduce different styles of dance, and these videos are being received by the members of those dance communities much like the Kendall Jenner ballet shoot was received by the ballet world. In particular I saw their video on Krump and Dance Hall.

Here's the Krump video, as a point of reference for the outrage

JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
FYI, for anyone who may not be familiar with it, this is what Krump is supppsed to look like

jemn

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
This is a horrible reflection of them and their talent (and it's super old -- from the first season). But yes, it's Canadian and yes, Briar Nolet is in it. 
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I'm sure the kids are very talented.  The only reason I know who Briar is is because of her amazing talent (although if this goes back to season 1, I don't think she was on the show yet at that point, right?).  But the fact that these dancers are so amazing at what they are actually trained to do almost makes these videos even worse. There are all sorts of Krump tutorial videos out there that these kids could have at least familiarized themselves with before doing this video.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemn
This is a horrible reflection of them and their talent (and it's super old -- from the first season). But yes, it's Canadian and yes, Briar Nolet is in it. 

And, fwiw, the only reason I referenced Briar was because she was the reason I knew it was Canadian, and the only reason I was mentioning that it was Canadian was to express the fact that I was unable to view videos of the actual show because of that. 

Basically my point was to say that I wasn't trying to judge the show... or even the dancers on the show... because I was unable to watch it since it was unavailable in the US.  Although as I look back at the post I see that I cut my own thoughts a bit short in expressing that.  I, personally, loved when there were Canadian studios at the comps my DD did because I knew we'd be in for a treat watching them... SO much talent.  But, like I said below, that almost makes these videos worse.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Your post was the first I've heard of it.  Yes, there are definitely better Krumpers out there but I guess I saw this as a bunch of kids trying to demonstrate different styles of dance for the audience.  I wasn't expecting them to be expert in every genre.  It didn't bother me at all as I thought they were trying to reach the average dancer and just give some basic exposure to what Krumping is.  It might have been good if, after they did their own demonstrations, they included a quick video of what an expert Krumper looks like though.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
Your post was the first I've heard of it.  Yes, there are definitely better Krumpers out there but I guess I saw this as a bunch of kids trying to demonstrate different styles of dance for the audience.  I wasn't expecting them to be expert in every genre.  It didn't bother me at all as I thought they were trying to reach the average dancer and just give some basic exposure to what Krumping is.  It might have been good if, after they did their own demonstrations, they included a quick video of what an expert Krumper looks like though.

But it's not what krumping is. It's not "angry". If you watch, you can see it telling a story. It's strong movement, yes, and very fierce, but not angry.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer

But it's not what krumping is. It's not "angry". If you watch, you can see it telling a story. It's strong movement, yes, and very fierce, but not angry.

You're right.  I guess it's another thing if they're not even describing the dance properly.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Not just "better" Krumpers, but actual Krumpers.  What these kids are doing does not even resemble Krump.  lol  And I agree that getting Krump out there is a good thing, but I don't think this is really a positive endorsement of it.  It makes it look like random flailing (aside from the kid in the orange shirt, he actually looked kind of good), but Krump actually has it's own technique and foundational steps just like other styles of dance.  None of that is reflected in this video (hence the outrage from some of the actual Krumpers out there).  Not to mention that their description of what Krump is was way off as well. 
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Jojo'sdancemom, you are not really missing anything amazing. The show is not great. The dancing is good, but the acting IMO is dreadful. One of our local dancers will be in the newest season.
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I like the Australian show Dance Academy better than The Next Step. There's also another one called Backstage featuring younger dancers.
sk8jdgca

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
The dancing is great but it is a tween show. Interesting enough though there is no script. The actors are given a scenario and they improv it. The majority of the actors are primarily dancers. Even the "evil SO from the competing team" is allaine Lupien from CDC
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiel
Keep in mind it's a low budget Canadian show intended for tweens. My eight year old loves it. We went and saw them live last year. Very talented dancers but super cheesy show that's not very well acted. I think it's kind of silly for people to get upset about the bad krumping.

I think if it was bad Krumping as part of a cheesy tv show that would have been one thing. But putting it out there in an instructional video format, separate from the actual tv show... and to have these videos be all people in other countries can see relating to the show... so people don't know it's a bad video relating to a bad tv show. This is all they see... that's where the anger comes from. Just like Kendall's video/photo shoot wasn't meant as what ballerinas took it as... that doesn't make them feel any less like their art was cheapened.
mamaw

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I tried to watch the show because I know many of the dancers in it. I just can't watch it because ...well, the show is just so bad.  Not the dancing.  The acting is a bit difficult to watch in some cases and mostly the writing is what ruins the whole thing.  Possibly, the acting would be better if the writing wasn't so awful. Even my own dd was in a few episodes one season (not a speaking role). I never even saw her episodes, and neither has she (haha)  Many. many, many dancers in Canada, particularly Ontario, have been on the show. They need dancers to be the "competitors" in the comps, so they use a lot of studios in Ontario to fill those roles and use them as extras.  Most of the dancers who have been or who are currently leads are very talented dancers, but that is not the only criteria for the lead cast, of course. They want diversity, the kids on the show play their actual age and age out of the show as well.  The main cast changes and evolves.  The real issue with the show, in my opinion, is the writing.  I hope that I do not offend anyone who likes the show or who has family or friends in the show.  I honestly believe that if the writing improved, the show would be so much better.  The dancers are outstanding representatives of the talent in Canada. Oh, and I have never seen the "instructional videos".
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Off to research what real Krumping is.  Learn something new every day!
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles

That's what I did yesterday LOL.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles

I shared a video below... Tight Eyez (the guy in the video) was the creator of Krump.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.