Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
now that the dance season is winding down, I thought it could be fun to share the best and the worst experiences from our dance season. I'll start. The Good: DD performed her musical theater solo and got selected out of the entire competition to recieve a special "Broadway Bound" award and it was in front of her old studio who has been talking poorly of her all season. The Bad: I think we have a three way tie for this one, lol! I can't bring myself to choose. First, DD started having foot problems and came to find out that she was born with t and she will most likely struggle with it the rest of career unless she has surgery done on both feet. She was in a boot for two months due to her injury. Next, DT's daughter was a guest for a few group dances at another comp studio. They went to a competition that DD did her solos independently at(the same one where she won the special award). DT's daughter didn't show up to the competition! Long story short, it was a frantic day and DD had to console her DT(they're practically best friends). Good news is that DT's daughter has settled down now! And this next one is good and bad. DD's recital was Friday, and DT's laptop was acting up and she accidentally downloaded the wrong versions of the music so throughout the entire show, the music was messed up. DD goes on for her musical theater solo, the music didn't work, she went off, DT "fixed" it, she comes back on. The music for some reason was slowed wayyy down, but DD payed it off and just acted it out more to make up for it. Then, it was the wrong cut! Luckily, DD knows the full song extremely well because she loves the musical it's from. She improved and acted out the part that was supposed to be cut. I didn't even realize that it was the wrong cut and I've seen that dance more times than I can count, DD really played it off! Then, guess what? The music STOPS. DD keeps right on going and lip syncing like a pro. DD had never had anything like this happen to her, so I didn't know how she would handle it! I'm so proud of her! She was definitely deserving of the award she got a couple months ago and she definitely proved it. So, although it's a bad thing that happened, I think it was good in a way. The Ugly: As some of you may have seen me post sporadically, DD was at her old studio until the end of January/beginning of February. There was a lot of drama. The whole thing started in August after her current DT at their new studio/company left that studio. She was upset because she was close with that teacher, and she had been treated unfairly(DD heard both sides of the story), and old SO was lying to everyone about what actually happened. DD held her tongue, and gave the studio a chance. That teacher taught most of DD's classes so she was very concerned. Keep in mind, this was a week before fall classes resumed. But it ended up working out, a new teacher filled her spot. October rolls around, it's time to start practicing for a Christmas show that old DT was the choreographer for. SO gave DD the okay to do it. She didn't miss classes at the studio for rehearsals for the show, so it was fine. She missed one week because it was tech week for the show, which she told them in October that she was going to miss. They ended up being mad about it when it actually happened even though they told her it was fine. At this point she started having the foot problems in November, but they weren't very serious at the time. After the show was over, I told her she couldn't dance due to her foot getting much worse and hurting when she put weight on it. She was allowed to go to class and watch. She only missed a class because of a doctor's appointment later on other than the week I'm about to tell you about. She went into class with the note I had given her to give to DT. DT who was also SO MADE her dance. It her DD's foot so bad that she crying. SO tried to tell her and all of the other teachers that DD was faking it. Her next class, one of her other teachers tried to make her dance, but DD couldn't do it. She said no, it hurts too badly and I'm not supposed to dance. I'd also like to mention that I'm a nursing professor, I know much more about this than her at the time SO did. They still insisted that she danced, so DD walked out and called me to come get her. She didn't go back to dance for the rest of the week. The next week rolls around, DD has been to several doctors and had several appointments and she's in a boot. Limited walking only with some PT sessions starting next week. They still tried to tell her she was faking it and took her solos away. DD really wanted out at this point but was just trying to tough it out the rest of the season. In January, they start production. DD is non religious(I'm a Christian, but I allow DD to have her own beliefs), SO makes all of the dancers watch God's Not Dead. DD liked the movie, it was good, but she obviously didn't believe in it, she just doesn't share those beliefs. The entire production is based on God's Not Dead. SO eventually finds out DD is non religious because of some gossip she heard apparently(another issue at this studio). She basically told everyone how everyone who isn't Christian is the equivalent of Satan(which DD thought was hilarious because DT sounded delusional, lol) and how terrible anyone who isn't Christian must be. Then she said "but I know everyone else's parents raised them better than that" which made DD extremely upset. She told me that they can insult her all they want but they better not ever insult her family. Especially over something that she chose and was totally out of control of us(her parents). SO continued harassing and basically bullying DD up until the last week of January when I get an email saying that DD is not allowed to compete but is expected to watch all classes(which btw, at this low quality studio were the same as comp rehearsals, most time was spent going over dances). I was expected to pay for DD to sit there and watch for the rest of the year. We decided that she was no longer going to be dancing there. Unfortunately, I paid for the entire year in advance. We never got our money back. One week goes by, DD is able to dance again. She contacts old DT that left at the beginning of season and starts two solos and joins two group dances just in time to compete. What a mess, that's not everything, but those are he most significant parts of that story. Ridiculous. We had a great season in the end, the best dance season DD has ever had!

ETA: One of the replies mentioned goals, and I also think that's a great idea! One of DD's goals is to be back en pointe, which she is planning to try in class tomorrow. She's been doing some barre excercises en pointe at home but tomorrow is her first class where she'll be trying it out. She has about two years of pointe experience, but had to take a break due to her foot problems that I mentioned earlier. She's also going back to the ballet school after some time off for the first time tomorrow, so she's a it nervous, but super excited because she misses it tons. Once tomorrow is over, our other dance goals will be to improve her turns, specifically al a seconds, she's been getting much better at them, but isn't consistent. She would also like to improve her saut de chat, her arabesque, get her straight scorpion(she's not too far from it!), improve her tilt, get her front walkover, improve her chinstand(she just recently tried it and has it, but isn't "good" at it yet, she's not working that hard on it because she doesn't feel that its really that necessary, but they do it in groups at her comp studio sometimes), and consistently hit five pirouettes(she's usually able to get four).

A non dance goal she has is to begin voice lessons! She decided that its best to start working on it now so if she decides to pursue musical theater the way she wants to, she'll have the tools.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm going to respond but only because I am so happy that.. finally.. I feel like I can't really respond to this question.  Because... finally... I can say that 'everything' feels good. After so many years of turmoil.... we've finally come to a point where we really only feel "good". No more drama.  No more uncertainty.  No more frustration.  Just "good".  Good training.  Good teachers/mentors.  Good opportunities.  Good friends. Just 'everything' finally feels "good".

So one good thing worth sharing?  Maybe the opportunity that just came dd's way last week... & I tie it in to this yr because it's likely that it's this yr of training that she can thank for this offer.  She'd been in nyc for two wks for a couple of SIs & wanted to take extra ballet at night, so we found a number of open classes... one of which was w/a smaller nyc ballet company.  After emailing back & forth w/them they sent an information packet in case she wanted to use the open class as an audition for their 2018 Winter Festival or even perhaps for a trainee position.  Sounded crazy, right?  But dd figured... what the heck? Not w/the expectation that anything would come of it (they only take 10 trainees a year) but just for the experience.  And lo & behold... she was offered a trainee position a couple of days later.

Never say never I guess.  It's been a good yr [smile]

Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
I'm going to respond but only because I am so happy that.. finally.. I feel like I can't really respond to this question.  Because... finally... I can say that 'everything' feels good. After so many years of turmoil.... we've finally come to a point where we really only feel "good". No more drama.  No more uncertainty.  No more frustration.  Just "good".  Good training.  Good teachers/mentors.  Good opportunities.  Good friends. Just 'everything' finally feels "good".

So one good thing worth sharing?  Maybe the opportunity that just came dd's way last week... & I tie it in to this yr because it's likely that it's this yr of training that she can thank for this offer.  She'd been in nyc for two wks for a couple of SIs & wanted to take extra ballet at night, so we found a number of open classes... one of which was w/a smaller nyc ballet company.  After emailing back & forth w/them they sent an information packet in case she wanted to use the open class as an audition for their 2018 Winter Festival or even perhaps for a trainee position.  Sounded crazy, right?  But dd figured... what the heck? Not w/the expectation that anything would come of it (they only take 10 trainees a year) but just for the experience.  And lo & behold... she was offered a trainee position a couple of days later.

Wow! That's awesome news [smile]
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
The good: dd had an amazing SI experience last summer, really got her in a good mind set for the year.
The bad: dd had only extra large groups. She had one horrible class, where no one knew the counts, not even the teacher. The class was one huge fight, the kids all tried taking control and no one listened to anyone.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Great question OP

The Good

- this was the fifth year since our studio opened. The past four years have had two seniors the first year and one the third year. None of those seniors were really leaders. This year, DD and her two BFFs are seniors. Let's just say that SO has learned alot about what to and what not do by dealing with these three. This year, SO seemed to realize that she was going to have to roll with some things if she wants to keep her dancers when they hit high school. That was good because DD finally lost her fear of SO. They enjoyed a different, but successful rapport this year.

- DD was allowed to bring back her tap solo this year, only for title. And she did win a title. We all know title is kinda silly. In eight years, I never entered DD. But it was kinda fun. Not sure where the crown and the jacket are, I have not seen them since we got home lol

The Bad

- SO chose all new comps to go to this year. All of them had one or two elite teams to compete against. It made for short, boring comps. Same with comp/convention. DD and her team are old enough to appreciate getting beat but inspired by an amazing studio. Didn't happen this year.

- Out of seven group dances this year, there was only one that I really loved. Usually, there is only one I don't like.

The Ugly

- DDs senior comp team is pretty close. 5 of 11 have been dancing together for 8 years. Their group ballet dance was to a piano version of "Pomp and Circumstance". DD and the other two seniors wore black dresses and graduation caps. The others wore blue dresses and facsinators. Normal choreo, the seniors keep their graduation caps on and the end is a pose. Well, the last comp had this dance scheduled as their last group dance. The last time they would ever compete together. Somehow, the girls colluded. Near the end of the dance, the seniors took off their graduation caps. At the end, they threw them in the air. But even before that, a few of the girls lost it while dancing. They danced while sobbing. Well, us moms were a wreck. And that is The Ugly. There was so much "ugly cry". I'm sniffling just typing this.

Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:

How exciting! Congrats
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:

Wow, congratulations! That must be so exciting!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 

@hsealover, I'm so glad things are working out for your dd and she is away from the insanity at the other studio!

@heidi459, I think I know the company of which you speak (simply because of the term winter festival, coupled with small company in NYC [smile])  

The Good: Dd's contract

The Good, The Bad and The ugly: The ups and downs of audition season quality for all of these. She spread a wide net, one that I think was too wide, but not knowing how it would go, she felt it important to do all types of auditions including cattle calls. She ended up with a ton of invitations for SIs and trainee/student type positions (with and without tuition, some with insane amounts of tuition). Lots of traveling, ended up with a mild sort of injury that did not keep her from dancing, but involved PT. Back to the good, near the end of the season, she said "WTH" and sent out videos/photos/cover letters to some companies she felt were long shots for her only for ALL of those to respond positively, some very quickly. She could not even schedule all those company classes at that point, but one of those did lead to her job.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

@hsealover, I'm so glad things are working out for your dd and she is away from the insanity at the other studio!

@heidi459, I think I know the company of which you speak (simply because of the term winter festival, coupled with small company in NYC [smile])  

The Good: Dd's contract

The Good, The Bad and The ugly: The ups and downs of audition season quality for all of these. She spread a wide net, one that I think was too wide, but not knowing how it would go, she felt it important to do all types of auditions including cattle calls. She ended up with a ton of invitations for SIs and trainee/student type positions (with and without tuition, some with insane amounts of tuition). Lots of traveling, ended up with a mild sort of injury that did not keep her from dancing, but involved PT. Back to the good, near the end of the season, she said "WTH" and sent out videos/photos/cover letters to some companies she felt were long shots for her only for ALL of those to respond positively, some very quickly. She could not even schedule all those company classes at that point, but one of those did lead to her job.

The 'other' ABT  [smile]

We didn't know much about the company going in.. just that they had open classes one block over from our hotel.  But we now know more than we could possibly want  lol  It actually seems like a great opportunity.... year round training including summer. two wks abroad w/the company, performance opportunities w/the company, a relatively small group of trainees (it's designed as a two year program and they say they take about 10 a year.. there are 16 trainees listed on their roster right now), and has a real international flavor.  Dd also found their style to be extremely challenging... very different.  But she's staying in Boston this coming year.  Making a bit of a change but still staying in Boston.

A big congrats to your dd!
Taar0309

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:

That's amazing! congratulations!! [smile]

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 

Ups and downs as always.  At times felt "slighted," but clear progress year over year. 

DD14
GOOD: Cast in dances with the top dancers in the studio, took some classes at that level.  Was invited to learn several variations.  Clearly progressing in artistry, confidence, and overall.  Was recognized at closing for both conventions she attended.
BAD: Not full time at the highest level. We understand the reasons, it makes some sense (won't make sense if it doesn't change next season).  Still, DD feels like she fell behind some of her friends who were.  Also suffered an injury which may be with her for her career, missed 6 weeks of dance during "audition season."
UGLY: Nothing, really.
GOALS: Get moved up to the highest level full time, hop onto the audition circuit for out-of-town SIs.

DD11
GOOD: Front and center in most everything she was cast, and danced with full confidence.  Was part time at a higher level.  Received her first recognition at conventions.  Received numerous compliments from parents & knowledgeable dance folks.
BAD: Nothing, really.
GOALS: Assuming she wants to continue (not a given) ... just continued progress. 

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:

Congratulations, love those kind of stories!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
The good:  DD15 has grown so much as a person and a dancer this year.  She found her dance home.

The bad:  It's a super small studio and dd may not have a team to dance with next season.  3 girls graduation, 2 are off to high school poms teams so that leaves dd and 1 other girl who is iffy.

The ugly:  With a grateful heart, I can actually say NOTHING!!!!!  such a better experience than at the last 2 studios.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Great topic.

The good: DD's passion for ballet continued to grow and she solidified her decision that it was her last year of competition dance and wanted to make the leap to a full time true ballet pre-pro school. She received multiple full and partial ballet summer intensive scholarships through the audition process and YAGP. With all the changes we are making to our family life to accommodate her pre-pro training next year, these scholarships were good for all of us to confirm that instructors from multiple schools see "potential" in her. To finish off the good, she is away at an SI as we speak and having a blast!

The bad: Every time I started to write this section I have stopped and deleted. There were many rough moments this year. An often difficult to deal with SO, uncertainty with the future of her training at current studio, feeling in the shadow of a couple of incredible competition dancers at her studio, and some competition disappointment. However, all of these "bad" moments ended up leading to "good." Everything happens for a reason.

The ugly: Seeing and hearing firsthand some of the political conversations that occur at both traditional and ballet focused competition. Eye opening to say the least. 

BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks for starting this thread

For us it was a season of highs and lows.

Good: high score for her lyrical solo. Acceptance to three SI's and two full time year round programs

Bad: SO decision to make two groups out of one team/level and put them up against each other at competitions. Why?? These girls have been a team that compete together for years why have them compete AGAINST each other ??

Ugly: some of the behaviour and actions of the other parents and a few instances with the other dancers. One example... driving as a group (separate cars) to a competition about 6hrs away, my dd and her friend in my car. We stop at gas station only about 1.5 hrs in and another mom gets dd's friend to come in her car with her and 3 other girls. Leaving 4 girls in her car and my dd by herself with me for the rest of the 4.5 hours. Just so thoughtless
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I'll play!

Good:

The comp team did so well at competitions this year...and it was our first time in the competitive level! (they were smaller competitions, but I like that it started on a high note!)

DD14 had her last competition season on a traditional team (moving to ballet and ballet comps only) and she won 1st in her division twice out of 3 competitions! I cried like a baby both times. Most of the kids (and parents) on her team were extremely supportive of her decision to move on and made her feel very loved. She also attended YAGP for the first time and held her own with scores, and we have a different strategy for next year now.

DD7 got to compete in 3 dances this year, including hip hop (her favorite!) and the winning production. It was a much more positive season for her than last year because she was involved in a bit more dancing on stage and not just 1 tap dance.

DD14 was accepted into the most competitive SI so far and is attending now. She was also accepted into 2 pre-pro year round programs, even though they were too pricy for now. We are so so proud of her for overcoming her lack of pre-pro options in our area and holding her own with the training she has available to her. And also that she has gone against the grain of what she has always known and continues to pursue her passion for ballet.

Bad:

DD7 should have had a lot more options available to her as a 3rd year member of team and dancing since she was tiny, but the SO likes to keep them on the mini team as long as possible, I'm not exactly sure why...maybe to win more? She wasn't allowed to take jazz or ballet at the competition studio, just a combo class that wasn't very effective for learning technique, although we took her elsewhere for ballet and had to hide it.

DD7 got her aerial which was good, but the acro teacher who had previously worked with her for several years and the one person she wanted to be very proud of her essentially ignored her when she came to tell her possibly because her own kids (of about the same age) don't have many of the acro skills desired at the studio. She gave out awards the previous year at the year end banquet for getting an aerial (because her older daughter had done one...she doesn't "have it" still though) and this year I just got awards ready myself for my daughter and another girl who got an aerial. I waited to see if the DT would have them first, and, as I figured, she didn't.

DD14 dealt with a lot of push back with it being her last year on team, particularly from a few girls and her main team DT...the DT was hard to deal with for several months and kept acting like DD was going to change her mind. We expected that but it didn't make it any easier. It's already hard to quit something when you've been doing it half your life. The DT acts like she just wants to win and the kids just don't understand what it takes to pursue ballet, or even why she wants to do it.

The Ugly:

You know when I mentioned a couple of kids that were hard to deal with above? They are totally egged on by their parents. One mother in particular is the ringleader, with a couple of other parents on her side as well as the DT being her buddy, crossed a line a few times this year. She talks rudely about other kids in front of people, including one time making fun of a child to her face in front of people, feeds hate to her children and their friends. With DTs that help keeps things secret about what they are doing and extra lessons, and making it drama later (who cares? Be upfront! It's the way she does it.) Mean mom is extremely competitive and acts like a pouting mad child when her girls don't place as well as others in the studio, going so far as to pull her older daughter now 14's solo and never giving it back when she started not placing over others... Now that my DD14 is leaving this girl gets a solo again. And she puts an incredible amount of pressure on her extremely talented DD10 to win. She usually goes back and forth for higher placement with another 10 y/o from our studio, and this mom acts terribly when it doesn't work in her daughters favor. I feel bad for her girls.

One incident in particular was directed at my daughter and stung us all, left DD14 crying leaving a competition. We traveled 2 hours each way in one day to compete one small group dance of 4 people only at a competition. Because of my work schedule, in order to make this group dance work, we had to forgo a solo entry on a different day, which wasn't awesome since she had been doing so well all year and everyone knows we would have liked to try and solo at this bigger, more competitive comp. We get there, are mostly left out which was expected. This one mom did several snarky things directed at me in the dressing room but whatever, I can take it. The girls danced and did very well. While they were on stage for awards, this mom posted a picture on Instagram of the girls entry in the program...remember just the small group of 4 were there...and intentionally cut off DD14's name. With a little red heart as the caption. Well ok...I was annoyed. Of course DD14 saw it while she was waiting on stage. It was just the straw that broke the camels back. And one of the DTs liked the picture which was unforgivable in DHs eyes. Not the main team DT but a younger more ditzy one, so I'm more forgiving...but DH is now ready to leave the studio completely. We feel that this sort of mean behavior, which was witnessed by 2 DTs and the SO backstage, should be addressed and stopped...but I also know that no where is perfect and DD7 wants to continue to dance with this team. Hopefully with DD14 leaving we can get back on a better note at the studio, but I'm always worried that the mean mom will start her DD6 on competition team.

Thanks for the idea on reflection!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.