Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
JustAnotherDanceMom7

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #26 
My DD got her period last July for the first time at 12 years old.  About an hour before competition team auditions at the studio - LOL.  She really had no choice but to use a tampon right away, so that's what she did.  I stood outside the bathroom door, in case she needed help.  She came out, in her all black dancewear and said "I'm gonna do a leg and you let me know if you can see anything" [rofl]  She has been using them ever since and there have been absolutely no issues. 
0
amandafarris03

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 531
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
The brand associated with toxic shock syndrome was Rely, which is no longer available. My mom never used them either. Those first attempts on my own, depending on the pamphlet alone, were so frustrating!


yup I remembered vividly how I sat in my bathroom (which was separate from everyone elses so I felt comfortable and not going to be interrupted) and looked at that pamphlet thinking "there is NO WAY I'm going to have to lay down to put these in everytime!?"  got it in the first try and never turned back.
0
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,130
Reply with quote  #28 
Tampons from the first cycle (at 11).  Like Tendumom, we spent some time de-mystifying first, and then off she went.  She's flabbergasted when teammates of similar age (now 16) don't use them.  It's all in how it's approached by mom, imo.  Good luck!
0
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #29 
I bought my daughter a "First Period Pack" from Lola. It came with pads, panty liners and tampons with instruction booklet. She loves it. She was worried about tampons because she saw my "Super Plus" ones. The ones in the kit are smaller and thinner and with the instructions she is no longer intimidated by them.

I started at 9 and she turned 11, so it is just a waiting game for us.
0
1tinydancer

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,017
Reply with quote  #30 
I have to laugh. My mom approached puberty like her mom did. She was handed a little booklet. I was handed the SAME exact booklet that was handed to my mom. She saved it for her future daughter, me. It showed how to attach a pad to a BELT!!! It basically said you can't go outside for a week every month. That your period is your dirty little secret to hide and be ashamed of. No tampons mentioned whatsoever.


It's a wonder I turned out the way I did! HAHA!!!!
0
meatball77

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,651
Reply with quote  #31 
How lucky we all were to have missed the period belts.  I remember reading about those in Are You There God it's Me Margaret and just being mystified at what that belt was they were talking about.

I started late (almost 15) and used a tampon the first time.  I'd already played around with them (even put one in, now that was a bad idea. . . . ), I'd been ready for my period to come for years so it wasn't an issue.  I think it's much easier the older you are because you are more comfortable with your body.  I started talking up tampons when my daughter was really little.  The summer before middle school I went out and bought her a box of each kind and told her to look at them, take them out and see how they work ect. . . . hopefully because of that it won't be as hard as it is for some girls (I also hope she gets to put it off as long as possible).

0
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
How lucky we all were to have missed the period belts.  I remember reading about those in Are You There God it's Me Margaret and just being mystified at what that belt was they were talking about.

I started late (almost 15) and used a tampon the first time.  I'd already played around with them (even put one in, now that was a bad idea. . . . ), I'd been ready for my period to come for years so it wasn't an issue.  I think it's much easier the older you are because you are more comfortable with your body.  I started talking up tampons when my daughter was really little.  The summer before middle school I went out and bought her a box of each kind and told her to look at them, take them out and see how they work ect. . . . hopefully because of that it won't be as hard as it is for some girls (I also hope she gets to put it off as long as possible).



I started at the age of 9 in 1978. First couple of years were period belts and pads before the made the adhesive ones. Because of my heavy periods I had to wear both a tampon and a pad.
0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 6,039
Reply with quote  #33 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfish1987
I started at the age of 9 in 1978. First couple of years were period belts and pads before the made the adhesive ones. Because of my heavy periods I had to wear both a tampon and a pad.


Just because I knew I didn't use a belt beyond my first few cycles (and that would've been 1974/75)... I looked it up and yes, indeed, Stayfree came up with it's first adhesive pad in 1973.

Here's an article that will tell you all you didn't need/want to know about this topic.  If you're bored and need some light reading  lol  https://healdove.com/reproductive-health/Overview-of-menstrual-pads 


eta:  oops.  Edited the dates (years) because I added wrong

0
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459



Just because I knew I didn't use a belt beyond my first few cycles (and that would've been 1972/73)... I looked it up and yes, indeed, Stayfree came up with it's first adhesive pad in 1973.

Here's an article that will tell you all you didn't need/want to know about this topic.  If you're bored and need some light reading  lol  https://healdove.com/reproductive-health/Overview-of-menstrual-pads 



Then I guess my Mom was cheap. She got my sister and I the pads with the belt. The extra thick pads. I used the belt until 7th grade.

I remember during our health class in either 5th or 6th grade. The nurse teaching the class showed us the belt and each of us girls were taught to weave it through the hooks I already knew how to do it as I started by then.

0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,360
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfish1987
I started at the age of 9 in 1978. First couple of years were period belts and pads before the made the adhesive ones. Because of my heavy periods I had to wear both a tampon and a pad.


Same here.  It was 1979 and just before my 10th birthday.  They were horrible.
0
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,389
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom


Same here.  It was 1979 and just before my 10th birthday.  They were horrible.


1977 and just before my 10th as well.   I HATED those damn belts.   I have told my girls about them when they complain about the pads that are around now.  

Now I really feel old. 
0
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 197
Reply with quote  #37 
Get her a menstrual cup. Unlike tampons they can be worn just in case on days you might need back up protection. I remember being on stage when I was younger and in the middle of a dance had a leak. No warning. It was mortifying. We aren't there yet with dd, but will be getting her a cup when the time comes.
0
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 197
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepLeap
I'm going to second the idea of menstrual cups. Softcup brand are disposable and are the most similar to inserting a tampon. They can be worn for "up to" 12 hours (usually more like 8 depending on the day). Diva cup is reusable and takes a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get it is great. Cramps are no longer an issue with Diva cup as well- that was a pleasant surprise.


I had the opposite experience with the soft cups. They were a lot bulkier and so much messier to get in and out. I did notice less cramping with the cup than tampons.
0
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 197
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
Tampons from the first cycle (at 11).  Like Tendumom, we spent some time de-mystifying first, and then off she went.  She's flabbergasted when teammates of similar age (now 16) don't use them.  It's all in how it's approached by mom, imo.  Good luck!

I grew up with "no tampons until you are 17". I guess it was an arbitrary age my mom came up with. lol
0
jdlw

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 207
Reply with quote  #40 
My daughter got her first period right before competition and went straight into tampons.  The schedule (and her irregularity) was such that she basically had it at every competition.  She'd also wear a liner for a little extra protection where the costumes allow it but we do still worry about staining and break through bleeding. It did happen, but not to the point where others could see.   We were lucky that last year's costumes (that didn't have pants) were all dance short length and dark (as opposed to this years' costumes that are light colors and have a bathing suit cut.

My concern with her jumping right into tampons is that she didn't necessarily have the maturity to commit to changing them frequently enough (outside of the dance environment where I am there with her to remind her).  I don't want her to get Toxic Shock Syndrome.  But now she understands.  Nonetheless I wish she'd wear pads instead of tampons overnight.  I have to look into these "cups".  Do the cups ever "spill" before they have filled up? that would be a giant stain!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.