Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Over the summer my DD18 started complaining of pain on her left foot, right where a bunion would be. I didn't think much of t because she didn't complain that often. Recently she started complaining more of that aching joint and so I brought her into the doctor, low and behold it is a bunion. They run in our family, DD11 had sever bunions on both feet, but she is not a dancer so they don't bother her at all.  The dr said that with a bunion splint worn when she sleeps, it can completely correct it over time because her bunion is not too severe right now. She also gave her some toe spacers to wear inside her street shoes. That area was so swollen around that joint, the dr has taken her off dance for a month (there was a lot of whining about that one) She has been wearing her toe splint nightly and taking her anti inflammatories religiously. My concern is that she is in a pre-pointe class right now and DT wants to put her on pointe in the near future. How bad would this be for someone with an aching bunion? Any experience with bunions and pointe? Actually any experience with dancers getting painful bunions would be much appreciated!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm pretty sure all serious ballet dancers develop bunions. My dd's are terrible. She deals with it.  It definitely won't make it better to go on pointe.  Maybe get your doctor's opinion?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
I'm pretty sure all serious ballet dancers develop bunions. My dd's are terrible. She deals with it.  It definitely won't make it better to go on pointe.  Maybe get your doctor's opinion?

The owner of our ballet studio who is a former Principle Dancer has no bunions!! Her feet aren't even ugly. I don't know what she did but she clearly got very lucky!

1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
If I understand correctly, she's 18 and in pre-pointe. She'll be graduating in '17? Going off to college? I say skip pointe altogether. It's not necessary.

ETA - Just read that she graduated c/o 2016.

Another ETA - I got a thumbs down. HAHAHAHA!
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
@1tinydancer really? why would you say to skip it altogether? Because she is starting later would it do more harm than good?v Never heard that opinion before and would be curious to get more info! 

1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance010
@1tinydancer really? why would you say to skip it altogether? Because she is starting later would it do more harm than good?v Never heard that opinion before and would be curious to get more info! 

I say it because pointe is not necessary to dance. In your other post you wrote that your dd18 wants to be a pro dancer. She doesn't need pointe to be a pro dancer.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I would check with a doctor to see what can be done.  I think it's great that she has the goal and I hope she will be able to reach it even if she never uses it professionally.  I admire that she's doing it even though she is "older".  I don't think there's an age limit to learning. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I am also wondering about the wisdom of an 18 yo starting pointe work with this medical history. She's putting too much time and effort for something that will reverse it all.

Yes, some people are not prone to bunions. I never had them and i danced en pointe. But those prone to issues with bunions will exacerbate those issues. It is clear that she is unlikely to need pointe shoes if she were to become a professional dancer. She is clearly not going to be a ballerina. Save her feet and skip those shoes.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Yes, I agree. People can learn at any age but it is not a wise choice here no matter how old she is.
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
I am also wondering about the wisdom of an 18 yo starting pointe work with this medical history. She's putting too much time and effort for something that will reverse it all. Yes, some people are not prone to bunions. I never had them and i danced en pointe. But those prone to issues with bunions will exacerbate those issues. It is clear that she is unlikely to need pointe shoes if she were to become a professional dancer. She is clearly not going to be a ballerina. Save her feet and skip those shoes.

Actually i think I really need to hear this. DT has the philosophy that pointe shoes will help a dancer's feet by forcing them to point them. She doesn't have the best feet so I was going along with what her teacher recommended. But I can see what you're saying. DD doesn't have her heart completely set on pointe work anyway so i dont think it will be that huge of a deal to her. Thanks for the input!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I'm just trying to follow the bouncing ball here. So she's 18 going on 19, graduated high school last year, still competing with a studio, and just now being introduced to pointe? I'm going to say what most are thinking...something isn't adding up here.
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
I'm just trying to follow the bouncing ball here. So she's 18 going on 19, graduated high school last year, still competing with a studio, and just now being introduced to pointe? I'm going to say what most are thinking...something isn't adding up here.

everything you said is correct yes, she has only been dancing since she was 14 and was never much into ballet. She has been on a studio competition team going on her 3rd year. She is 18 1/2 right now. She is going to school but living at home and her studio's comp team allows them to compete until they are 19. We both love it there and since she is living at home we figured why not stay. Like i said, pointe is being pushed by her teacher who thinks it helps a dancers feet immensely... but if people think it would do more harm than good at this point, we would seriously weigh out the benefits and reconsider.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Pointe shoes help a dancer pointe their feet only because you can see how much you are NOT pointing because of their shape, especially the sole. She can get the same effect from full sole flat shoes without dealing with the constrictive box.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I wouldn't start a dancer en pointe at 18 (almost 19) years old.  She is obviously not going to be a pro ballerina so there is no point.
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I agree with everyone, if she is not looking to be a professional in a ballet company, I would forgo starting pointe. There are other ways to strengthen your feet and arches without going on pointe.

Unless it is something she always wanted to do, then why not? But if it isn't, then it isn't necessary in her training.
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I don't really find the comments dismissive. I think they are basing their comments on the reasoning behind taking pointe at this age.  The OP said that her D doesn't have her heart set on doing pointe, she is having feet issues and isn't looking to pursue a career in ballet, with all of that, these comments seem right on target to me, but maybe I am missing something?
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
If it helps, my dd doesn't want to be a ballerina, so she decided against pointe. It hurt her feet a lot when she went up and she didn't think the pain was worth it in her case. I will add that her half year en pointe did not help her point or ankle flexibility. Excercises did help considerably.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I'm in the camp that says if she doesn't want to do pointe professionally, and her feet hurt already, why bother with pointe?  As I've said before, I think it's grown into this mythical right of passage when really it's just another stage of ballet training.  More important is the ongoing and relentless pursuit of improvement in your basic ballet technique.  A never ending pursuit, that is!  You don't have to be on pointe to do that.  DD16 had just started her 5th year on pointe when she asked to quit because no matter what shoes we tried, her feet hurt.  Gorgeous feet and ankles in the shoes, but it hurt.  So why continue?  She still does 3 hours a week of ballet (wish it was more, but that's a story for another day).

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 

Quote:
Wow, I am really shocked at some of the dismissive replies I'm seeing here.  19 is not too old to start pointe, I know adults who started at 40 or later. 

I also know plenty of adults who began pointe at 30, 40 and up. But, they were not coming off an issue with bunions bad enough that they could not dance in flat shoes for a period of time. She doesn't need this technique to dance professionally and clearly is not looking to become a professional ballerina. If her feet are under control some time in the future, who cares? But right now, after working so hard by taking a month off from dance, needing medication and using a splint every night, it makes no sense to push the issue. She's 18 and can obviously do what she wants, but if this were my kid, I'd tell her to put the pointe shoes on hold. 

I know she mentioned that they were not that bad yet. We all have our perspectives. Bunions that are not that bad don't require time off from dancing in flat shoes in my book!

dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Thank you everyone for your replies! Let me clarify a bit, when I said they "weren't that bad yet" I meant the appearance of the bone protruding out is not extreme and at first glance may not even be noticed. That is why we weren't very sure if she was even dealing with a bunion at all until then doctor confirmed. Now, saying that, the aching she has in that joint after just a few hours of dance is quite a lot, hurts her to sit in her middle split because the outside of her foot being pushed against the floor, after her almost 4 hours of ballet and footwork class she takes on Tuesdays its particularly bad. Hoping this month off will reduce swelling like the doctor said and the pain won't be as bad when she goes back to the studio in January (fingers crossed). After having done some research (lots of it[comp])  I found a product on Amazon called Yoga Toes. Does anyone have experience with these at all? The reviews are great and say that people notice a difference in their feet after just 20 minutes of wearing them (hard to believe) I will paste the link below!

https://www.amazon.com/YogaToes-Gems-Stretcher-Separator-Therapeutic/dp/B004HE94SE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481080475&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=yogatoes&psc=1
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
My dd LOVES Yoga Toes.  They work!!
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
My dd LOVES Yoga Toes.  They work!!

So great to hear! Does she just wear them 20 minutes a day? I heard it might be bad if they are accidentally kept on longer? Gonna have to buy a pair for my DD!
dance010

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge
Wow, I am really shocked at some of the dismissive replies I'm seeing here.  19 is not too old to start pointe, I know adults who started at 40 or later.  If she wants to go up, and her teacher says she is strong enough, why shouldn't she?  Most girls who go up on pointe at age 12 aren't going to be a pro ballerina either.  

There is a lot that can be done to ease bunions on pointe, look up Lisa howell's taping methods.

Lisa Howell is awesome! Thank you for the recommendation [smile]
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dance010

So great to hear! Does she just wear them 20 minutes a day? I heard it might be bad if they are accidentally kept on longer? Gonna have to buy a pair for my DD!

I'm not sure if she follows the 20 minute rule, but I thought it was so funny that we just talked about these and she sent me this photo last night.  

They were in the theatre yesterday, but the day before, they had a 1.5 hour class, rehearsed for Nut for 3.5/4 hours, and then had 3 hours of Swan Lake rehearsal (show is in February).  She definitely needs these!

IMG_5969.PNG

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Oh dear that photo looks like she is in pain, poor thing!  What these dancers go through to pursue their passion!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.