Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #1 
So, this summer will be my dd's first time to participate in the Best Dancer competition at the Dance Awards (mini level). In my opinion, she's a very talented dancer, but not one to win at this competition. My husband ask "Why are we going then?" 

Has anyone been that can help me answer that question? To me, it's not all about winning, it's also about learning and improving. My dd is excited to do it. She has seen the youtube videos from years before and knows the competition is tough. I think this would be a very good experience for her on her dance journey and it would be a fun family vacation. Has anyone had a husband that is fine with going, but doesn't see the value in it? 
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi!

My DD competed in the Best Dancer competition years ago and it was one of her favourite dance experiences thus far! It was certainly on her dance "bucket list" so to speak, so she was pretty pumped about getting the chance to compete. Her confidence began to slip the second she walked in the building though! The talent is absolutely insane at TDA (we were in New York back when DD was a mini - seems like so long ago!) She gained so much that week, even though she didn't win Best Dancer. She met some amazing teachers and dancers (whom she is still friends with today), got to compete her solo and take part in the audition classes. Not to mention it was her first time in New York! Oh yes, and she got a Best Dancer Finalist jacket. She was pretty excited about that too [wink] (She still has her jacket) LOL!!! 
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My DD did this about 4 years ago and it was very positive.  She was in the top 20.  

My biggest beef with this is the title "The Best Dancer"  To me that is complete nonsense and all the pros who teach and run it know that dance really doesn't work like that. It's too subjective and trendy. My thinking is that you can gain a lot from the classes, learning choreo, handling pressure but the rest is well, hype. . . like cotton candy--big, sweet, and splashy but melts quickly.  
momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by classydance
My DD did this about 4 years ago and it was very positive.  She was in the top 20.  

My biggest beef with this is the title "The Best Dancer"  To me that is complete nonsense and all the pros who teach and run it know that dance really doesn't work like that. It's too subjective and trendy. My thinking is that you can gain a lot from the classes, learning choreo, handling pressure but the rest is well, hype. . . like cotton candy--big, sweet, and splashy but melts quickly.  

This is my thinking. She's only 10, so this would be an amazing experience for her outside the comfort of her studio 😉
momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMommy2Riley
Hi!

My DD competed in the Best Dancer competition years ago and it was one of her favourite dance experiences thus far! It was certainly on her dance "bucket list" so to speak, so she was pretty pumped about getting the chance to compete. Her confidence began to slip the second she walked in the building though! The talent is absolutely insane at TDA (we were in New York back when DD was a mini - seems like so long ago!) She gained so much that week, even though she didn't win Best Dancer. She met some amazing teachers and dancers (whom she is still friends with today), got to compete her solo and take part in the audition classes. Not to mention it was her first time in New York! Oh yes, and she got a Best Dancer Finalist jacket. She was pretty excited about that too [wink] (She still has her jacket) LOL!!! 

My dd is excited to meet some new dancers and take classes with them. I hope she has the same experience as your dd.
MissD

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I took my daughter when she was ten and it was fun to be a part of. You get the jacket. You get a ton of great classes. You get the audition classes, an opportunity to perform your solo at a huge high level comp, you get to be a part of it all.
I loved taking my daughter on this special dance trip and even though it was very expensive in the end it was a great experience. I would rather do it than not do it.
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We went from the first year to the fourth year. It was a great eye-opening experience for my DDs and they learned a lot by watching. They were inspired and challenged. The talent was amazing as usual. We stopped going because we started seeing the politics of the whole thing. With the 'judges/teachers' choreo usually winning over other choreo (rightfully so, but not really fair to the non-famous studios), it started feeling more like a recital of the judges work and that our stuff couldn't come close. They also noticed teachers only watched the dancers they knew and had taught/choreographed for and that was disconcerning, so we 'broke-up' with BTF. They have tried to go to some regionals but they still get the same feeling, especially here in Canada, so we stick to the not so big conventions who also have amazing but not so famous teachers from whom they learn a lot from. But, I do recommend taking young dancers. I do believe it is what helped my DDs become better dancers, knowing they were capable of such talent as they saw themselves doing the same choreo and execution as the 'winners' next to them in class, just not known to the teachers:-)

momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the responses. I'm getting excited and hope that my dd has a great experience as well.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.