Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I would think this discussion could perhaps be an eye opener for those whose dancers are younger & just starting out. It's so easy to be dismissive of the cost involved but these numbers are hard to ignore.  We probably only spent maybe 6-7K total in dd's first 8 yrs of dance before she started comp but that jumped up significantly to about 20K total over just the next 3 yrs when she joined the team.  A switch to serious ballet at that point put us up to about 15K/yr (for 12 mos of training). So by the time she's ready to venture out in the real world?  We'll be in a good 100K.  Not chump change but...the thought of what it could've been if she'd started comp 2, 4, 6 yrs earlier?  Frightening.  And truth is, not having done that has just put us in a better position to help her as she pursues post grad/trainee positions in the coming yrs.

Just something to keep in mind perhaps when your dancer is 5 or 6 & you're itching to get her up on that comp stage; itching to max out the experience w/lots of group numbers & solos. You just never know where this journey will lead you. And the last thing you want is to put yourself in a position where you've gotten in over your head financially just when that financial support could mean the difference btw taking the next important step to fulfilling a dream & having to put that dream on the shelf.
NYFamily

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #27 
That sounds pretty reasonable. It's such an expensive activity. And I have two pretty close in age so when they were both dancing at the same studio it was an enormous bill! Makes college seem like a bargain!
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
daughter only usually does 2 group numbers and a production/line - I wanna say he COMP fees alone were $1700 (costumes, entry fees....) but that doesn't include the tuition we pay for her regular classes every month.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
I wish that was our annual dance bill. I pay just under $5000 a year for class tuition, excluding privates, and that is less than our previous studio. That also doesn't include any comp fees, costumes, or anything else.
Robynb79

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Last year I paid almost $16K, she was in 8 dances. That sounds good to me depending on the number of hours/dances they are taking
HTownDanceMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Honestly, I would be thrilled to see that number.  DD tuition alone is more than that for the year!
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
The $3,400 is right about where oirs was fast year, but that only included the competition entry fees and tuition. This year will be a little more since we're doing more competitions and hopefully this studio isn't going to cancel the convention plans a week before scheduled. We will be getting more class time though closer to 10hr per week opposed to 1.5hr.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
I would think this discussion could perhaps be an eye opener for those whose dancers are younger & just starting out. It's so easy to be dismissive of the cost involved but these numbers are hard to ignore.  We probably only spent maybe 6-7K total in dd's first 8 yrs of dance before she started comp but that jumped up significantly to about 20K total over just the next 3 yrs when she joined the team.  A switch to serious ballet at that point put us up to about 15K/yr (for 12 mos of training). So by the time she's ready to venture out in the real world?  We'll be in a good 100K.  Not chump change but...the thought of what it could've been if she'd started comp 2, 4, 6 yrs earlier?  Frightening.  And truth is, not having done that has just put us in a better position to help her as she pursues post grad/trainee positions in the coming yrs.

Just something to keep in mind perhaps when your dancer is 5 or 6 & you're itching to get her up on that comp stage; itching to max out the experience w/lots of group numbers & solos. You just never know where this journey will lead you. And the last thing you want is to put yourself in a position where you've gotten in over your head financially just when that financial support could mean the difference btw taking the next important step to fulfilling a dream & having to put that dream on the shelf.

It is really easy for new parents to get sucked in.  At our first studio it was all about how many routines you had been invited to be in and everyone accepted everything because it was supposed to be prestigious.  I remember one family that had 3 dancers.  The mom accepted all the groups and s/d/t that each girl was offered.  Tuition alone was killing them.  When it came time to pay for costumes and comp fees she actually took out a very large line of credit to pay for the one year.  Her attitude was that she could spend the next year paying it off and have it to use again next year.    Personally I have always gone with the attitude that if I couldn't pay for dance without borrowing money than DS didn't do it.
Becca

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 

I think Heidi hit the nail on the head.

Dance is a marathon- not a sprint. Most dancers will still need training post HS as trainees, post grad, or college dance. The extremely talented ones (not to mention lucky as well) might still need help paying the bills while they work as apprentices or in smaller second companies. For those pursing commercial dance, I assume will likewise need support as they audition and hopefully book enough work to keep going. They will still need training- that isn't cheap.

For those who have a younger dancer always invest in training over performing. The highest quality of training you can find and worry less about solos or small groups (God I wish someone had smacked this sense into me when my DD was starting out). Training will always shine through.

And be honest about what you can afford. Dance might turn into a career but it is just as likely will turn into something that they did while they were younger. Remind yourself of this often and make sure you are ok with dance never leading anywhere more than just a well loved hobby. A career is impossible to predict until a contract is in your hand and even then can end in a blink of an eye.

amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer

How many competitions do you do??? $1700 seems high for just 3 numbers. Is it custom costumes at $250 per?

she typically does 3 dances - so costumes (not custom probably $75-$100 a piece), stoning, jackets, comp fees (probably around $500), nationals (another $250) - shoes.....
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles

If I can speak for Disneymom2two as well as myself - no it's not.  It's more like buying a car on payments.  I get the pleasure of the car but I get to pay a smaller chunk at a time.  While I know the car is x amount of dollars and I know I'm being billed correctly, it's easier for me to handle both mentally and financially the amount broken up instead of 1 lump sum.

Thank you!
shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #37 
ok some of your fees make me physically sick lol.  I don't know how you do it.  But my little girl wants it bad so I told her one year.  I am starting to think she is still young (6) so I don't have point shoes or a lot of dances so it is cheaper to do it now than later [smile].  No stones, nationals, point shoes, ectra
eyelashes,
Dancemom301

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shewolf
OMG I just got the bill for this years comp dance season $3400!!!!!!!!!  Does this sound correct?!?!?!?!?!?  Now this is for everything tutition, shoes, leo/jacket/pants/bag, comp costumes, Christmas, spring, entry fees.  I expected the bill to be more but I am in sticker shock.  Has anyone done ind fund raisers and if so what was successful????? I paid for summer technique class and have 2 months to get over it so until then we will just dance, dance, dance LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dancemom301

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #39 
$3400!!! That's a steal! 😱😱😱
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #40 
I agree with the others. that's not bad at all! That's interesting that you get one bill for everything all together like that. We pay for everything as we go. Monthly tuition, comp fees as the comps come up, etc. The only thing we pay for upfront at the beginning of the season is the costumes. If I add up all the dance expenses that I have for the entire year, including dancewear and shoes, it would come to probably around $10,000. I choose not to even try to add it all up though. I think I'd vomit!
shewolf

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #41 
  • Aug              220 +540
  • Sept             220+200
  • Oct               220+430
  • Nov              220+100
  • Dec              220
  • Jan               220
  • Feb               220
  • March           220
  • April             220+115
  • May              220
  • june              220
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #42 
That's not bad at all, especially if that includes class tuition. 

I pay around $2500 for tuition, and then I average between 6-7k for team stuff, depending on her dances. Then there's travel expenses on top of that. 

We've also had extra expenses outside of her studio for summer intensives and such. And gear and pointe shoes and clothes, etc. I didn't even mention that she also competes for a second team for her school. That's around $3500-$4000 a year on top of what I'm spending for her studio. 

She's a senior this year and there is no way in heck I am going to add up our total since she's been on team (since age 8) or since she's been dancing (since age 3). That'll be year 10. But I'll tell you this - I don't regret one bit of it. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.