Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
shewolf

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
OMG I just got the bill for this years comp dance season $3400!!!!!!!!!  Does this sound correct?!?!?!?!?!?  Now this is for everything tutition, shoes, leo/jacket/pants/bag, comp costumes, Christmas, spring, entry fees.  I expected the bill to be more but I am in sticker shock.  Has anyone done ind fund raisers and if so what was successful????? I paid for summer technique class and have 2 months to get over it so until then we will just dance, dance, dance LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Could very well be correct depending on number of competitions, number of dances, costume fees, tuition etc.

Trust me, I paid far more than that for each year for many years.  All toll after 14 years I had well over $100,000.00; probably much closer to well over $120,000.00 actually.

Definitely a pricey endeavor for our kids!  I chose not to add everything up...ever!
shewolf

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
yeah the bill with yearly total is not something I wanted to see.  Now I can't unsee it !!!!!!!

cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Honestly, I would be thrilled if our total bill was $3,400.
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Our fundraisers have been ok- I mean, every little bit helps. We've done mixed bags, yankee candle, a few others I can't remember. All run of the mill stuff. My goal was to always try to get one costumes worth of kickback from them. Lol

3400 sounds pretty nice to me. Hard to say if it's accurate or not without knowing number and size of routines and how many comps and conventions.
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Also depends on where you live - our tuition alone for a year is more than that, and it's pretty average for our area. We're in a pretty high cost of living area.

We don't really do individual fundraisers, just group, so I'm sorry I can't be of any help there.
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I would love if that included tuition for us. Our comp fees (everything only competition related) is less than that, but tuition isn't included at all. Separate mostly expense. 

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I also would be thrilled if that was my bill.  Otherwise I try not to think about it LOL.  I do photography as a side job to help pay for DD12's ballet tuition.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I would consider that cheap! For everything?!?!? Yes, really cheap.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Ditto the rest - sounds like a good deal! Our tuition alone is more than twice that. I actually wish we could see one number upfront!
Taar0309

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Totally would LOVE a $3400 bill!!! This is a nationals year for us....take that times maybe 6!!! [crazy][crazy] I need my head checked!!! lol
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
I also would be thrilled if that was my bill.  Otherwise I try not to think about it LOL.  I do photography as a side job to help pay for DD12's ballet tuition.

LOL, I do photography as a side money drain!  I've gotten a few bucks here and there, some trade, but no where near enough to cover my time & investment.  I've been working hard to upgrade my knowledge & skills, maybe it'll bring in some $$ in my retirement years!
shewolf

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Now there is a $540 something to do with comps but we sell raffle tickets for that
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
$3400 would just barely get us her technique classes and company choreography for a season.  No costumes, no entry fees, and nothing at all related to s/d/t.  
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
That doesn't sound high, depending on how many classes, comps, and dances.  I know others have commented on how low it sounds to them.  I have to agree. I have never added up my dd's dance costs, but Summer Intensives alone equal over 45K (including air fare) and that's not including spending money or pointe shoes.  Not sure how old your dd is, but get ready for the ride...I still think it was all worth it.  Enjoy the time with your dd - it goes really fast!!

2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
That would be nice if my annual total was only $3400. Costume cost for 11 dances was around $2000 and tuition alone was about $3000 for my DD12. And the pointe shoes...[bawl]
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I'm glad we get billed separately for everything.  It just makes it easier for me to swallow.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
We get billed separately for everything.  Our total would come far over that.  Tuition, which does include costumes added in, comes to about 3000.  Then there's team jacket, comp wear, shoes, tights, nationals rehearsal, duet costume and choreography, entry fees.  I don't think I want to see what it all costs added up.  In some things, it is true that ignorance is bliss.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Agreed, that is pretty cheap! We're in Canada and even doing the conversion it is less than what I paid for this year's season. I keep a running excel spreadsheet to cry over every now and then. But my DD loves it so it's money well spent for her happiness - we only have one kiddo so makes it easier too, unless you count DH who is a big kid at heart who also has a very expensive hobby. 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2two
We get billed separately for everything.  Our total would come far over that.  Tuition, which does include costumes added in, comes to about 3000.  Then there's team jacket, comp wear, shoes, tights, nationals rehearsal, duet costume and choreography, entry fees.  I don't think I want to see what it all costs added up.  In some things, it is true that ignorance is bliss.

Since you're "disneymom," is that sort of like charging all meals & purchases for a week to a magic band, and then never bothering to read the multi-page pdf folio with the charge details?
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I keep an Excel spreadsheet and can tell you every penny I have spent on dance over the last four years since she started competition dance.  The increases are staggering and I, as others have stated, would be over the moon thrilled with your total. Tuition alone is $5,000 at our studio, without summer intensives.  Competitive dance is such a racket, but we love it all the same.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

Since you're "disneymom," is that sort of like charging all meals & purchases for a week to a magic band, and then never bothering to read the multi-page pdf folio with the charge details?

If I can speak for Disneymom2two as well as myself - no it's not.  It's more like buying a car on payments.  I get the pleasure of the car but I get to pay a smaller chunk at a time.  While I know the car is x amount of dollars and I know I'm being billed correctly, it's easier for me to handle both mentally and financially the amount broken up instead of 1 lump sum.
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
If we're being honest, I would absolutely hate to see how much it costs dd per year for dance, yikes! There's so many different things that go into it, here's a bit of a list.

Tuition(much more expensive at her ballet school than comp studio)
Costumes
Shoes
Tights
Leos and Other Dance Wear(including warm ups)
Hair Supplies
Makeup including eyelashes and glue
Gas and other travel expenses
Hotels
Food(comp weekends)
Garment Bags
Comp Fees
Convention/Workshop Fees
Competition Merchandise if We Decide to Purchase
Doctors Visits(DD has a foot problem that randomly pops up several times a year)
Pain Meds, Braces, Boots, etc. (whatever is necessary to treat that foot problem)
Competition Warm Ups and tshirts
Paying for Music(minor but the expense is still there!)
Summer Intensives
Any Masterclasses that she decides she wants to go to

Honestly, there's probably more, but those were the things that I came with off the top of my head.
RebelSwan

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Our class fees are pretty reasonable, but this year's spreadsheet has everything from hairpins and tights to programs.  Next year I will have to add what we spend on food and drinks.

2017 paid $2500 just in entry fees, $1200 Conventions and $525 parking, $290 Misc including programs, aps and one DVD.

Meanwhile, I can't afford a haircut and haven't changed the oil in my car in 5 months. 
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover
If we're being honest, I would absolutely hate to see how much it costs dd per year for dance, yikes! There's so many different things that go into it, here's a bit of a list.

Tuition(much more expensive at her ballet school than comp studio)
Costumes
Shoes
Tights
Leos and Other Dance Wear(including warm ups)
Hair Supplies
Makeup including eyelashes and glue
Gas and other travel expenses
Hotels
Food(comp weekends)
Garment Bags
Comp Fees
Convention/Workshop Fees
Competition Merchandise if We Decide to Purchase
Doctors Visits(DD has a foot problem that randomly pops up several times a year)
Pain Meds, Braces, Boots, etc. (whatever is necessary to treat that foot problem)
Competition Warm Ups and tshirts
Paying for Music(minor but the expense is still there!)
Summer Intensives
Any Masterclasses that she decides she wants to go to

Honestly, there's probably more, but those were the things that I came with off the top of my head.

Don't forget!....
Choreography fees
Convention observer bands
Ballet testing fees
Nationals Fees
Photos
DVDs
Flowers
Company jewelry
Recital tickets
Parking at events
Rhinestones