Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Everyone!

I love to hear other people's stories. My 4 year old just mastered her chin stand in class Thursday night. She'd been working on it with her teachers for several weeks so I was very proud. (I know it's acro and many aren't a fan of acro, but I love all dance techniques). I was proud because it was something she's been practicing on her own at home without any prompting and it's fun to see progress.

What was that first skill you watched your child(ren) do that you were so excited about?
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My DD17s path in dance has not been straight. During her early years, I was more focused on her enjoying the process than definable skills. When she decided that dance was where she wanted to be at 10 years old, I knew she was going to have to fight to get ahead. And she has. The first "skill" my DD displayed was during her first solo when she was 11. Even though she was so nervous, her showmanship was incredible. She was able to charm an audience and entertain them. You can't necessarily measure it. But there is a moment when you see you kid reach new artistic height. I guess that is my kids first skill
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I am a big fan of acro, my DD's love it. So not an anti acro mom here.

But it is quite concerning that your studio is teaching a 4 year old to do a chin stand. This skill requires major thoracic hyper extension which is extremely dangerous for the still very much developing spine of a pre school aged child.

It also requires a great deal of strength in the neck muscles to avoid injury, yet kids of this age are still very much developing these muscles.

It sounds like your studio (or perhaps just this teacher) is keen to teach skills, but are not well informed of developmental safety.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Love to hear about kids working hard to achieve a goal but what she said is a huge concern. There are articles on the dangers of this particular move. Working on tumbling in a safe setting is one thing but a chin or chest stand is contortion and not a safe position. The long term risk is highly concerning and starting this at 4 is very worrisome. We have talked about it before. http://forums.dancemom.com/post/chin-stands-8258496
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
The first skill I was really proud of dd achieving was also at age 4. She learned to do a pullover on bars. She was in gymnastics at the time, and her gym made a really big deal about getting a pullover. As far as dance at that age, I was just proud of her at her recital when she was the only one in her class who remembered the dance on stage.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
My DD17s path in dance has not been straight. During her early years, I was more focused on her enjoying the process than definable skills. When she decided that dance was where she wanted to be at 10 years old, I knew she was going to have to fight to get ahead. And she has. The first "skill" my DD displayed was during her first solo when she was 11. Even though she was so nervous, her showmanship was incredible. She was able to charm an audience and entertain them. You can't necessarily measure it. But there is a moment when you see you kid reach new artistic height. I guess that is my kids first skill

Same here. My older dd loved dance class when she first started. Teacher loved her, she was a good listener and picked up quickly. Then we had observation day. She was like a deer in the headlights whenever parents were invited in to watch. I was so worried she would freeze on stage for recital. Recital day came and she just lit up on stage and performed her little heart out. She was a natural up there much to our surprise! It was a great moment [smile] Younger dd followed right in her footsteps.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Personally, I would not have my child even doing them in class. Not developmentally appropriate and long term risks are not worth it. 

As with anything, we need to educate ourselves. DTs may or may not have appropriate education and if they don't keep up with the latest (and I'm not talking about the latest dance steps), their education from years ago may not be all the relevant. The concept of "well I did it and I'm fine" doesn't cut it. 

Anyway, first time we were proud of dd was at 4, her first time on stage. She did the whole dance, on the music, with no hesitation or mistakes. 
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Four must be the age! I'll stick with dance skills, but at dd's first studio parents couldn't really watch classes. The first time we saw her was during the recital. We were amazed at how natural she was on the stage. Of the other 4yos, she was a definite leader and knew the entire dance without watching the DT in the wings. To this day, she picks up choreography very quickly, both her own and everyone else's. lol!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I have to agree with some of the other posters that this is a very dangerous move for a 4 year old to be doing.  I wouldn't have allowed it of my dancer.

Proudest moment for me was when DS was 2 years old at his first recital and had a little solo at the beginning of the dance.  He was the only one on stage and remember what to do.  Wasn't nervous at all.  It was quite cute.
threedancingdaughters

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
The first one I can think of is acro-related. (Not chin stands, lol, haven't even started those!) Last year DD started a pre-acro level class at age 6. She's not a gymnast-type, and while she's fairly flexible, tumbling is not her strength and not something she'd ever done. After 4 months of hard work and tears, she finally did a somersault completely unassisted! The smile on her face when she realized she did it was priceless [smile]

Another was her first show this year - when watching her she had a huge smile on her face the whole time, and was dancing with the counts in the music and not going too fast (She tends to rush the movements faster than the music). Little achievements but one proud mama!!
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Gymnastics coach here (and trained in what is appropriate for young gymnasts and developing bodies). I don't even allow 4yo to do true bridges, their head is generally too large and their spine too weak at that age. Chin stands are definitely not developmentally appropriate, and I would advice you to proceed with caution. There is a plenty of time to learn acro tricks but she only has one spine...

My "proudest moment"... Her first pointe class is up there, because she wanted it so badly and because I have always been a fan of ballet. Another is when she decided she needed to make a change in her training (it was the right decision, but it had to be HERS).
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Literally, far too many to count...

Not because she's the greatest dancer to ever hit the stage, but because throughout her dance journey (all 15 years so far) she never ceases to amaze me. 

She has brought me to tears so many times....the thrill, pride, joy,and love of watching her dance, it's just been overwhelming.  It's been such a privilege watching her grow and develop into such an exceptional young lady on and off the stage.

Watching her do what she loves more than anything else with total commitment and passion is what I am most proud of.

(Oh, and I do think she's a pretty great dancer too!)
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
This isn't a dance step, but my 10-yr-old coming to me while I was at work (I work from home) and showing me her bun that she did on her own!!! I have to admit I was excited as she was! Granted, I still do them probably 1/2 the time, but it's a start!

The past two years have been fun watching her ballet technique improve so much, and seeing her really enjoy ballet.
LittleDancersmom06

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My dd10 just got her aerial... not her first but definitely her proudest!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Not a specific move but DD's 1st year in dance.  She started at 6 and people kept telling me it was too late [rolleyes].  Well by the end of the 1st dance year (was not at a comp studio), not only did she catch up to the kids who'd been dancing since 2,3, 4 - she surpassed them.  Now I'm not at all surprised because a 6 year old can physically and mentally do more so catching up was never a concern of mine but it was nice to show those parents that they were wrong.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I'd have to say that my FIRST proud moment was when she went into her first class at age 2 and didn't come out until it was over 45 minutes later... despite all the 3 and 4 year olds who had been taking class for a couple months at that point who came out repeatedly for various reasons.  LOL

Needless to say, there have been many, many, many proud moments since then, the latest of which has been watching her chase her dreams in NYC just like she always wanted to do.  [smile]
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Dd took one semester of hip hop for fun as her introduction to dance at age 9.  When she went out of stage for the first time she was front and center with 100% confidence.  She danced full out, and smiled whole-heartedly, and looked like she loved it.  At that moment I figured she was hooked.  I was right.  
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I can't really speak to proud skills achieved, but I have several "proudest" moments. The first two are performance related, not specifically dance.

When DD15 was 6 and was in her first ever show (a children's operetta workshop of "Snow White"). She had real stage fright but did a wonderful job, and just looked cute as a button, since she is tiny and young-looking and looked like she was about 4. That night when I tucked her into bed, she told me "Mommy, I felt so GOOD up there". I knew she was hooked on performing, but I was so darn proud of my shrinking violet whom DH and I actually half expected to not go on stage.

A few years later, she was in a performance of "Annie" and was given a vocal solo (another workshop, and she played the character July). During one performance, the other girls accidentally blocked her from getting front and center. She actually shouldered/shoved her way through. If you knew how my dd would normally have never stood up for herself, watching her doing this to get where she was supposed to be was a proud mama moment (and it was totally in character for that role). The older girls in the show were really proud of her as well because it was out-of-character for DD.

Last year, she came out on stage at the first comp of the year to dance her tap solo, and her performance was so completely over-the-top amazing DH and I had to pick our jaws off the floor. If someone had a time machine, and 3 years ago brought me ahead in time to that performance and told me that was our DD, I would have argued with them! "No way, that's not my kiddo".

Absolute proudest dance-related moment (saved the best for last)...this past October. DD started high school this year and is not dancing at the studio anymore. She joined the dance club at her school, which meets twice a week during lunch, and they do a year-end performance. In October, DD told me that she felt she needed to quit dance club to focus on class work. She felt she needed extra time to get a jump on homework, and needed some extra study time with a few of her teachers (she really did need the help). As sad as I am that she isn't dancing, I am that much more proud that she has this level of maturity as a freshman to realize that her schoolwork was more important than dance club. She still has extra-curriculars, but not dance.

jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Not a specific skill per se, but the first time I was tears in my eyes proud of DD was her 1st aerial performance. She was 7. The silks were stuck together and without missing a beat, she climbed up a few more, split them, and went about her routine. 
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
This isn't a dance step, but my 10-yr-old coming to me while I was at work (I work from home) and showing me her bun that she did on her own!!! I have to admit I was excited as she was! Granted, I still do them probably 1/2 the time, but it's a start!

The past two years have been fun watching her ballet technique improve so much, and seeing her really enjoy ballet.

Amen! My DD danced in the Ballet Met Nutcracker as a Mouse when she was 10. Sat and Sun she had to be in ballet gear with a true bun. It didn't take her long to realize that mom sucks at hair. In those three months, she perfected her own bun. Same thing with pointe shoes when she was 12. I sewed them the first time, not very well. After that, she insisted on sewing them herself. Now she usually needs an additional pair of pointe shoes colored to her skin tone. She does that too. Although the first time, she used my very expensive foundation to do so. After that, Maybelline was just fine.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
 Right there with proudest moments  DD12 has never been graceful, she is clumsy, awkward because of her height etc, but when she dances, she is a totally different kid.

Her first group dance at competition.   She owned that stage at 5,  she smiled, she was sassy, and she owned it.
at 6 her 1st time doing a solo, it was at our open nationals.  She had a great routine, and had no fear.     
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
At DD's old studio I was proud when she learned her side and front aerial and could do a needle.  The SO started featuring her moves in every comp dance, front and center, it was a bit embarrassing after awhile.  Then DD moved to more competitive studio and they only do contemporary group dances - no aerials or needles in the front of the stage, so I've got nuthin'!
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
I am a big fan of acro, my DD's love it. So not an anti acro mom here. But it is quite concerning that your studio is teaching a 4 year old to do a chin stand. This skill requires major thoracic hyper extension which is extremely dangerous for the still very much developing spine of a pre school aged child. It also requires a great deal of strength in the neck muscles to avoid injury, yet kids of this age are still very much developing these muscles. It sounds like your studio (or perhaps just this teacher) is keen to teach skills, but are not well informed of developmental safety.

I haven't been here in a while, but thanks for the input! I will definitely keep it in mind and talk to our teachers. : )
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threedancingdaughters

Another was her first show this year - when watching her she had a huge smile on her face the whole time, and was dancing with the counts in the music and not going too fast (She tends to rush the movements faster than the music). Little achievements but one proud mama!!

For me some of the littlest achievements are big ones. It makes me happy just to see my daughter listen to her teachers and apply what they say. (This makes me happy in all activities, not just dance). It's so great just watching kids learn. Sometimes she'll struggle with something for a while then it will take one comment from a teacher and she's got it.

Watching improvement of any kind is a proud moment.
nicknoralove

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 

I just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for the input on the chin stand. It prompted me to talk with our DT and pediatrician and our Dr. has advised what he is comfortable with her doing.

This is a great board with great input. I'm glad I found this community!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: