Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
2dornot2d that was great ! Really interesting how diverse all of our kids' training is.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Yes! Both my daughters' teams are under the same studio, so my drill team dancer gets to take a ballet class from a Russian ballet mistress who teaches DD12's performing company. Our studio understands there are different training for different needs and level of commitments. Sometimes dancers move from drill company to performing company to be in more challenging classes (performing co has closed classes) and some switch to drill so they can focus more on the academics and school activities.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
I have to admit... suffering from a little bit of "grass is always greener" envy at the moment. Sounds like a really great resource for dancers. We live in what I refer to as a dance wasteland. Absolutely nothing less than an hour's drive for the serious student. I'll have to pay closer attention to your posts, sounds like you'll have a lot of great things to share ! Can't wait to hear all about it !
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
I have to admit... suffering from a little bit of "grass is always greener" envy at the moment. Sounds like a really great resource for dancers. We live in what I refer to as a dance wasteland. Absolutely nothing less than an hour's drive for the serious student. I'll have to pay closer attention to your posts, sounds like you'll have a lot of great things to share ! Can't wait to hear all about it !

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it's unusual for dancers looking for "very" serious training to have to travel that far.  There are lots of places that have studios on every corner but still, finding one that offers true pre-professional training is not so easy. I live in an area where we probably have 30, maybe 40+ studios of all types within a 30 minute drive.  Many of them very very good.  Many of them consider themselves to be pre-professional.  Pride themselves on it. But we still drive an hour into the city for my daughter to get what we believe to be the "very" best.  The type of training that we believe is the most likely to take her to her max potential. Those places are not generally so easy to find.  No matter where you are.  

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
It does make me feel better, Heidi459.

Finding the place to help your child reach their potential is a challenge, particularly once the child has crossed the bridge of knowledge and can tell within moments if a teacher is "legit" or just phoning it in.
missijohnson

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
Anyone familiar with them? Saw them last year at a competition and was so impressed with their performances. Wondering if any members here know about them.
missijohnson

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #32 
I live about an hour away from them (we are both outside of Houston, but in opposite directions), and I have never heard of them or encountered them at a competition. 
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Interesting missijohnson... it seems like Texas has a lot of great programs though. They circle in the all star world from what I can tell and that's a fairly insulated community in my experience.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by missijohnson
I live about an hour away from them (we are both outside of Houston, but in opposite directions), and I have never heard of them or encountered them at a competition. 

My DD12's performing company travels to Houston 2-3 times a year (we are in Dallas area) to compete at Adrenaline, Jump, Nuvo, NYCDA or Radix. DBBs don't compete at any of those dance competitions. We've competed against them with my DD15's Drill Team. Drill has different competition circuits. Drill dances may not score well in any of above performing company's competitions because drill choreography is more focused on showing all the techniques than artistry (in my experience).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: