Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone familiar with them? Saw them last year at a competition and was so impressed with their performances. Wondering if any members here know about them.
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
what part of texas? I  lived in central texas for 4 years....I would have loved to seen someone with the name "the dancing bluebonnets"
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Honestly I have no idea. We saw them when they traveled to compete at Dance Summit last year and I was very impressed with every individual dancer's ability. Whether they were in the "featured" skills or the less technical skills all clearly had been taught well. They were a great example of how an All Star studio can be as compared to where we were. I'd love to hear more about how they structure their program, purely out of curiosity. All Star is such a small dance community nationally (for non hip hop) so we won't compete there again. But if we were in Texas I'd definitely check them out.
Jagroth

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I clicked because this studio is literally five minutes from my house and right around the corner from my daughter's studio.  When I read your question, it made me think - I have not heard anything about this studio at all!  There are six dance studios within 10 minutes of my house (seriously!) and I either know of someone who takes/have taken classes, know their style specialties, or competed against - all except Dancin' Bluebonnets.  

Sorry I'm no help!
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Jagroth... thank you for chiming in though. If you ever hear anything let me know. As a parent I was coming from the perspective of really only knowing the All Star "studio" my DD had been at... each and every one of the parents and girls took note of the DBB at that event and in my heart I truly felt that they were wrongly denied several first place finishes. I hope that I am not wrong, but they simply appeared to be a really nice studio with happy healthy dancers. If they are headed to Worlds and Summit again this year we will be cheering them on from afar, and hoping they get those first place finishes this year.
Rhythmaster101

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Dancing Bluebonnets is a drillteam dance studio. If that is the style of dance you are interested in your child learning they are great, but if you are wanting a well rounded dance education that emphasizes strong technique over tricks, then I wouldn't darken their doorstep.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
That's too bad. I'm sorry to hear that, Rhythmaster101. We don't even live in Texas so they are not on our radar personally... but your response only strengthens my growing opinions about the world of all star dance for young developing dancers. It has a place, but not (as you said) a place if you are looking for well rounded dance education.

Perhaps the very positive vibe I got from their families was accurate. They did seem very genuinely happy and supportive of each other.
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmaster101
Dancing Bluebonnets is a drillteam dance studio. If that is the style of dance you are interested in your child learning they are great, but if you are wanting a well rounded dance education that emphasizes strong technique over tricks, then I wouldn't darken their doorstep.

are you talking they are the same style as the "dancing dolls", or like the same as the high schools that wear the cowboy hats and boots....
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
amandafarris03, the DBB I am talking about compete at UDA type events in jazz/ pom / lyrical-contemporary and I would assume she means drill team as in school team and college team type style, definitely not dancin' dolls, not even same zip code [wink]
willowjane

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Try this link.  It looks like they are from the Woodlands (north of Houston).

https://www.dancinbluebonnet.com/gallery
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
amandafarris03, the DBB I am talking about compete at UDA type events in jazz/ pom / lyrical-contemporary and I would assume she means drill team as in school team and college team type style, definitely not dancin' dolls, not even same zip code [wink]

that's what I was thinking (the texas high school style of dance) I was trying to explain to someone that never lived in texas about it, and I ended up having to show them a video because I couldn't explain it well enough!
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Although this does make me wonder what do you call the Dancin' Dolls style?
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Although this does make me wonder what do you call the Dancin' Dolls style?

It's some form of majorette, I know absolutely nothing about it. DD doesn't like the Dancing Dolls at all.
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover

It's some form of majorette, I know absolutely nothing about it. DD doesn't like the Dancing Dolls at all.

dancing dolls is more "urban" majorette.  they don't really focus on technique.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandafarris03

dancing dolls is more "urban" majorette.  they don't really focus on technique.

Right, and it irks DD so bad, lol!
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover

Right, and it irks DD so bad, lol!

their floppy feet and legs make me cringe!!! I don't want dd13 picking up those habits! [tongue]
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I'm just fascinated with it. Where did it start? Why is its technique so greatly different than other jazz type technique? How long has it been around? Where are the studios that do this kind of dance ? I'm not a fan to watch it because it looks downright painful every time they slam to the ground, and DD can't quite wrap her brain around appreciating it for what it is (which is fine, she's 10 and working hard enough to learn her own technique)... but I am very curious.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
I'm just fascinated with it. Where did it start? Why is its technique so greatly different than other jazz type technique? How long has it been around? Where are the studios that do this kind of dance ? I'm not a fan to watch it because it looks downright painful every time they slam to the ground, and DD can't quite wrap her brain around appreciating it for what it is (which is fine, she's 10 and working hard enough to learn her own technique)... but I am very curious.

The style of dance is rooted in the dance lines of HBCUs.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Thank you, PasDeChatMom !

Now... back to the BlueBonnets.... anyone slog their way through all of this having any ties to their studio best of luck the next two weekends at worlds and summit. We're pulling for you !
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:

their floppy feet and legs make me cringe!!! I don't want dd13 picking up those habits! [tongue]

Me too!
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:

look up videos on the dancing dolls.  they are in Mississippi I think.  I'm not sure where it started or any of that but it seems to be a deep south thing....but don't quote me on that [tongue]
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:

look up videos on the dancing dolls.  they are in Mississippi I think.  I'm not sure where it started or any of that but it seems to be a deep south thing....but don't quote me on that [tongue]

There a few teams a couple hours away from me, I think one in Cleveland and a few to choose from in Cincinnati, but other than that, to my knowledge its definitely more popular in the south!
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
My DD15's drill team has competed against the bluebonnets. They are great as a team.

Last year at the Drill competition nationals, they won the "grand champion" I don't personally know the studio. I think the Drill competition circuit is their main focus. The director is from the same background. 
http://www.showtimeint.com

Drill team dance also awards good techniques... team formation and team synchrony is another big focus. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
This is the college level drill team in TX. A lot of dancers try out there.
https://www.rangerette.com
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
2dornot2d, do you have any idea what their training is like? Do they give their dancers a good foundation or do they teach and practice only to the routine? I'm pulling for them to do well at the dance summit this weekend !
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #25 
I would think lots of turns, leaps classes. They are solid dancers doing these kind of techniques very well. I can't speak for DBB but I can explain the difference in the training through my 2 DDs' teams.

My DD15's drill team has mandatory ballet (just 1 class/week but most dancers don't care about ballet), technique (turns & leaps) and jazz lyrical classes and 2-3 hour rehearsals once a week. We don't have acro classes. I'm sure some other drill studios do. Their technique is not ballet foundation. It's more towards how to get the turns and leaps right to look good in the dance...Some people call "trick" technique. Everyone needs to look sharp and move at the same time. Their choreography is usually full of turns leaps and other tricks. They also have a pom dance which requires more precision and sharpness. The team brings at least 3 dances to compete to be a champion team. Genres are jazz, lyrical, modern, contemporary, military, pom, novelty and hip hop.

My DD12 is on performing company with 3-4 ballet classes a week and other genre classes. Ballet technique is the main focus to do anything well. Turnout, emotions, performance (stage presence) etc is what they also work on all year... their dances don't have choreography of turns and leaps. It's more artistry and control they show through dance. Performing company competes at conventions and more advanced level competitions. They bring in star choreographers like Travis Wall, Andrew Winghart... and those dances don't even have a single turn.

I think DBBs are amazing! Hope they do well at the upcoming competition!

HTH!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.