Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So, one of the teachers at Ellison Ballet's Summer Intensives was arrested (and will be extradited to Delaware) at the school in NYC this week for sexual assault of a minor.  Ellison's response to reporters is that the guy is a top professional and so he couldn't have done anything wrong.  Apparently they told parents that the teacher had left because of a "family emergency."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2017/07/06/dance-instructor-faces-sex-offense-dover/455993001/

5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
It's insane to me that the school would sweep such a serious matter under the rug!!! That's nearly just as concerning as the assault. His talent has nothing to do with it. Instead of insinuating that he is innocent without all the facts, they should be asking for anyone with any other information to step forward and contact authorities. I hope is isn't allowed to teach any longer and is shunned from the ballet community if there is even an ounce of truth.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I am sure there are many that are still unaware as the information given to the Ellison Ballet summer students was that the instructor had a "family emergency."  It was covered in the Washington Post and local Delaware publications as well as one Philly/Delaware area TV station, but the news does not seem to have hit NYC area publications.... or has been ignored. Nor has it been picked up by the dance publications. 
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
The alleged activity did not take place at Ellison.  That said, Ellison is quoted defending Boitsov until he was told that the male student who was assaulted was told to undress.

DD took class from Boitsov--character.  Good teacher.  

Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/dance-instructor-accused-of-sexual-contact-with-teen-boy/2017/07/06/d86e2bc6-6280-11e7-80a2-8c226031ac3f_story.html?utm_term=.910e061e5668

Dover De https://doverpolice.org/2017/07/06/dance-instructor-arrested-for-sex-offense-involving-student-7-6-17/

Delaware  http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2017/07/06/dance-instructor-faces-sex-offense-dover/455993001/

Ellison is a great teacher of boys but has questionable judgement in many respects.  Honestly,  I think he would make a better AD than instructor. 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
This statement is so absurd ... "I just cannot believe (the charges) because he is a top professional."

Seriously?!!!!!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Totally Dave.  It's that type of attitude that led to all the problems with USA gymnastics.  It bothers me that he immediately defended the guy to the press instead of just saying No Comment.  I can't imagine that he hasn't learned that you don't always have to talk to the press.  I highly doubt that the reporter was pounding his door down, the reporter was from a paper in delaware.

Imagine what would happen if a kid confided in Ellison with his immediate defending of the predator.  Also, because we all know that situations like this rarely happen in a vacuum the proper response would be to inform parents and kids of the situation and provide them with details of how to report should they have experienced anything that made them uneasy.
gandalf

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
So, one of the teachers at Ellison Ballet's Summer Intensives was arrested (and will be extradited to Delaware) at the school in NYC this week for sexual assault of a minor.  Ellison's response to reporters is that the guy is a top professional and so he couldn't have done anything wrong.  Apparently they told parents that the teacher had left because of a "family emergency."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2017/07/06/dance-instructor-faces-sex-offense-dover/455993001/

You do realize that you immediately mischaracterized the incident.
The charge was "sexual contact", not Sexual Assault.
A heinous crime, but he is still innocent until proven guilty.
Or should we just shoot him now?

What were they supposed to tell these young dancers what is alleged?
What if it were a misunderstanding?
Now you are left to explain to your 8 year old...
"Mommy, what is fondling?"  What is Molestation?

meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Your eight year olds should know about "bad touches" and fondling or molestation isn't something you should be scared to talk about with your kids, otherwise you put them at risk.  It would be a good opportunity to have a necessary talk.

However, I can't imagine that there are any eight year olds that are attending Ellison's ballet intensive. 

It takes a lot for someone to be extradited, I doubt they did it without at least a passable case.  Even if they didn't parents should be told so they can talk to their kids, let them know what to do if they need to report anything.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf

1) Unwanted sexual contact with a minor is a form of sexual assault.

2) The unwanted contact allegedly occurred in the locker room after asking the boy to undress.  I can see "misunderstanding" in dance, where instructors are in close proximity, and perhaps an arm brushes something while trying to demonstrate proper position.  But in the locker room after asking to remove clothing? It happened or it didn't, but there's really no room for misunderstanding in this scenario.

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I find that people have a hard time believing anyone is capable of anything awful until they experience it for themselves; no matter how damning the evidence. Specifically when it comes to instructors and coaches. If your child is spared the abuse or inappropriate behavior all you see is the product of their teaching. It takes such bravery to come forward and speak up in the face of such obvious social pressure to the contrary.
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf

Gandalf I don't understand.  Ellison could simply report the facts, as they have been reported in numerous news outlets.  Seems a better way to treat parents and families.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
It's insane to me that the school would sweep such a serious matter under the rug!!! That's nearly just as concerning as the assault. His talent has nothing to do with it. Instead of insinuating that he is innocent without all the facts, they should be asking for anyone with any other information to step forward and contact authorities. I hope is isn't allowed to teach any longer and is shunned from the ballet community if there is even an ounce of truth.

Exactly!
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
The way I read the article, it sounds like the school was asked to comment before they'd even heard of the charges.   If so, I can sort of understand an initial "no, you must be nuts" response to a reporter from out of the blue. 

I would not expect this response if the inquiry came from a student or parent.

And I don't blame the family for going straight to authorities, leaving the school out of it.   We've seen so many colleges/universities sweep accusations under the rug without even notifying local authorities.  This is definitely a better way of handling it.

Again, just going off of what little I can infer from the brief article.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Take a moment to look at these reputable stats, and please note that the vast majority of sexual abuses are by someone the child knows well (stranger danger is rare).  Given these numbers, it should never be a surprise that someone knows a perpetrator of sexual abuse.

Studies by David Finkelhor, Director of the Crimes Against Children Research Center, show that:

• 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys is a victim of child sexual abuse;
  • Self-report studies show that 20% of adult females and 5-10% of adult males recall a childhood sexual assault or sexual abuse incident;
  • During a one-year period in the U.S., 16% of youth ages 14 to 17 had been sexually victimized;
  • Over the course of their lifetime, 28% of U.S. youth ages 14 to 17 had been sexually victimized;
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.