Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD is in a small tap group again this year and it has in it a fairly large prop that she and another girl have to dance on top of at one point in the dance, only for maybe 20 seconds though so not a lot of time, but they have to climb on to it via steps at the back. My DH is making the large prop so I know he'll make it as safe as possible (sturdy) but we were talking about how if we don't do something to the top it may be too slippery if just painted. Last year during comps several of our kiddos slipped while on stage dancing during the group routine so it's always in my mind (not the same kid either, about 4 different ones slipped during this routine at the various comps and recital). So I guess my question is is there anything I can do to my DD's tap shoes that will help with slipperyness and not wreck the sound or bottom of the shoes? My DH plans on putting some kind of anti-skid paint on top of the prop so that it's a bit more grippy, but wonder what else we should do. I'm not happy about her having to dance on top of that thing in slippery tap shoes but it is what it is unfortunately. 
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know much about much, but do her tap shoes already have skid pads on them?  If not, that could help.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I'm assuming it does though it must not be a very sticky rubber pad, I'll have to give it a good look tonight (she has tap class tomorrow). This is the shoe - So Danca TA06/07:  https://dancewearcorner.com/products/so-danca-ta07-buckle-strap-tap-shoe-adult

Every comp we went to last year it was a "who's going to slip today!" conversation that always took place before they hit the stage. We did one comp with a built up stage in a ballroom and during that number two girls went down at different points in the choreography. One mom in the group whose dancer does tap solos said after that incident that she usually sprayed the taps with hair spray to make them a bit more sticky. Haven't tried it though.

We're not fans of this brand of shoes but our studio seems to be stuck on them.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Why not just add appropriate flooring (marley or similar) or an equivalent on the part they will actually step up and tap on? The top of the prop won't really be visible from the audience so I don't see how it would be esthetically an issue.
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It appears to have a skid pad on it.  Hmmm...I wish I could help.  Spraying hairspray on the bottom just sounds like a bad idea to me.  Then again...what do I know?  [confused]
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I agree with 5678StarMom.  Ensure that the treads(if there are stairs or steps) and the top of the prop has Marley or other material to help slips.  In fact you can get shower pan liner from Home depot (people use it as a substitute for Marley in home studios) - but it has a sticky bottom and you can apply it right to the top of the prop where they will be dancing.  

Dancers on the stage will also likely be tapping on Marley too
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Home now and checked the shoes - non-skid is basically a joke, Will definitely tell DH to get the shower pan liner for on top of the prop and I think I need to have a talk with tap teacher about the shoes. He is building the steps too so will make sure there is non-skid tread on them. This is one reason he is building - to ensure it,s safe.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
DD's former studio was a heavy tap studio.  Hairspray on the taps was standard procedure.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Our girls do the hair spray on the taps sometimes too.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Hairspray! We’ve been tapping for years
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles
DD's former studio was a heavy tap studio.  Hairspray on the taps was standard procedure.

This is super interesting for me.  I've never heard of it.  Here's a stupid question:  What kind of hairspray?  Aerosol?  Pump?  I totally want to try this for my son's new shoes if he struggles with slipping.

What about doing slides?  Doesn't it gum up the bottom too much?
owensamo

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My DD's an avid tapper, and her first SO told all the kids to go out and scuff up their taps on the concrete when they're new. It doesn't really affect the sound, but does help with slipperiness - the extra texture in the metal from the scratches does increase friction. She's done it with pretty much every pair of tap shoes since. We have also done hair spray on taps if the floor is particularly slippery. My DD's done numerous tap solos on various surfaces and never had an issue with slipping.
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #13 
We used duct tape on the bottom of the taps.
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
We used duct tape on the bottom of the taps.

whaaaa???

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.