Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm switching my 11 year old son from a slip-on tap shoe to a lace up.  He has to deal with quick costume changes and I've been told to use an "elastic" lace to make it ACT like a slip on.  I've been digging around online, but I am unsure what to use that will stand up to the rigors of tap dance.  What suggestions do you have for me?
RebelSwan

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
LOL, pretty easy to overthink things.  They ALL  have quick costume changes.  Never heard my kid complain about the 15 seconds it takes to tie up her tap shoes though.

Edited to add:  a good practice to get into would be to untie the shoes every time you take them off though - sometimes that part can be tricky, especially if they "double knot"
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
OK...so 1 vote for "do nothing".  [rolleyes]  I'm still open to suggestions or recommendations for elastic or alternative tap shoe lacing.
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Honestly, nerves run so high during quick changes, I understand your concern. My DD has a shoe change in a dance this year from tap shoe to foot paw and back (and she wears slip ons). I would try the silicone laces. You can get them on amazon for around $5-8, and some are sturdy enough for running shoes, so I think they would hold up in tap. He can try them in class to be sure, but I'm all for eliminating any potential additional stressors backstage.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Are you looking for something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Homar-Kids-Elastic-Athletic-Shoelaces/dp/B0186Z5O56/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510765198&sr=8-4&keywords=no+tie+shoelaces
Kfish1987

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I untie my daughter's shoes.

She was in a production number where she went from jazz shoes to tap shoes to jazz shoes and tap shoes again. We were fine with regular laces
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 

YES...I'm just wondering if they'd hold up to the intensity of tapping.  [smile]
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
They certainly do for running.

Why not replace the laces and run through a few practices first to see if they hold up?  I'm sure he's gonna want to break in those shoes a bit before his first stage performance.  If it doesn't work - you already have the standard laces.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Also - wanted to add - we always replaced laces with elastic for the mary jane type of shoe.  That was when the girls who wore them were younger - and less rigors with tapping - but never had any issues.
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklane
They certainly do for running.

Why not replace the laces and run through a few practices first to see if they hold up?  I'm sure he's gonna want to break in those shoes a bit before his first stage performance.  If it doesn't work - you already have the standard laces.

Yeah...thanks!

As I mentioned in another thread, he isn't competing this year.  I'm saving his new tap shoes for a Christmas gift since they were DARN spendy!!  His studio is rec. only and all he needs to prepare for is the Spring Recital.  We'll have time to break them in, and experiment with lace options.  I was just hoping to avoid trying 6 different kinds if anyone here had experience with a specific brand or style.  He'll be in 8 different numbers in the recital and a couple are 1 song turnarounds.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I don't think elastic shoelaces would work with heavy tap shoes that need to be securely on. If it's easy to loosen and put them on, it would be as easy to come off the feet? Did you get Jason Sams? With heavier and better tap shoes, you don't want to risk the shoes to fly out during moves. Our tap teacher would not allow us. 

Most tap shoes my DDs had the thinest string kind waxed shoelaces. The same kind as men's dress shoes. I'm not sure those flat athletic laces would fit.

You just need to untie and loosen the laces so all he needs is to tighten and tie them. If the recital only gave him 1 song/3 minutes to change, they wouldn't start until he is done changing. I wouldn't worry. 
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Yes...they are J Sams.  I'm anxious to see how he does because it's quite a change in shoe from what he's used to.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We've always used braided elastic. If they are black, I'd go with the 1/4 black braided elastic. Lace up and double knot them together at the ends.
MNDanceDad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingemu
We've always used braided elastic. If they are black, I'd go with the 1/4 black braided elastic. Lace up and double knot them together at the ends.

THANK YOU!!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.