Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
gymdancermom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
After a few years of ballet my daughter (age 7) decided it wasn't for her.  I signed her up for tap because she loves to perform (she does acting and singing and musical theater).  She loves it!  Right now this is the only dance class that she is taking and she definitely does not want to do ballet at this point.  I would like to get her into a second dance class per week -would it be better for her to do more tap classes or should I have her try another type of dance -maybe jazz?
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Does your studio do hip hop? She might like that. The thing is, at her age, she might like jazz but at the studio my daughter was at, one could not take the more advanced jazz classes unless they were also taking ballet. Ballet is the backbone of dance and it will help with jazz but I think it is not as necessary for hip hop or tap.
dancemonkey

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My daughter whose in college for musical theater is a great tap dancer. Even though your daughter doesn't feel like ballet is for her I would say to encourage her to stay in ballet and add a jazz class. Ballet makes all the difference in the world in terms of how the carry their bodies. And If she does end up in the field (I know it's far off) she won't have to catch up.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
If you can take jazz, that would be good for an interest in MT.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkey
My daughter whose in college for musical theater is a great tap dancer. Even though your daughter doesn't feel like ballet is for her I would say to encourage her to stay in ballet and add a jazz class. Ballet makes all the difference in the world in terms of how the carry their bodies. And If she does end up in the field (I know it's far off) she won't have to catch up.

I 2nd this.  Ballet is the foundation to all dance.  I think it would be good to take a ballet class 1 hour a week.  It doesn't have to be her focus and it will help her in Tap.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
She's 7. Let her try whatever type of class she likes. Most studios around here would let you try a jazz or hip hop class for free to see which one she likes better.  
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
DD7 used to think ballet was boring till we switched to a studio that is more serious about ballet this Sept. Did you ask her why she doesn't like it? It's possible that some recreational ballet class might be "too easy" for them where at this early age, they basically wouldn't do anything more than spin around and clap.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
At this age if she is just doing it for fun I would let her choose.  Ballet is the foundation of all dance but if she's not a serious dancer than why force it.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
At this age if she is just doing it for fun I would let her choose.  Ballet is the foundation of all dance but if she's not a serious dancer than why force it.

Totally agree. Besides, many schools don't even start formal ballet before 8 anyway.

Let her take what she wants. Not every little kid needs to be aimed at a professional career at age 7.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Do not give up ballet! My eldest is a tapper, and ballet helped her immensely!
gymdancermom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
DD7 used to think ballet was boring till we switched to a studio that is more serious about ballet this Sept. Did you ask her why she doesn't like it? It's possible that some recreational ballet class might be "too easy" for them where at this early age, they basically wouldn't do anything more than spin around and clap.

I definitely think that she found her old ballet class slow and boring and she might prefer a ballet class at her new studio (where she only does tap at this point) because this studio is more serious.  Thanks for the suggestion.
tappergirlmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My dd hated ballet until pretty recently (she's 9 now) and that came with a combination of having a really good teacher, and just getting older and more focused on being a better dancer.  At 7-8, she hated ballet and only went through the motions of it because it was required for jazz.  For a girl who loves tap and hip hop, ballet was almost unbearably dull and slow.  I didn't force the issue at that age.  She took her one hour a week required ballet class, and I let her focus on what she enjoyed the most. As she got older, I think she began to see the benefits of it and actually started to enjoy ballet as well.  
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
She's 7!! Who cares if she takes ballet now, let her take what she wants. Add a jazz class if you think she'd enjoy that.
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmom
She's 7. Let her try whatever type of class she likes. Most studios around here would let you try a jazz or hip hop class for free to see which one she likes better.  

I agree. My dancer hated ballet at that age. Now he is in a dance company that is ballet focused. His first love is tap but has realized that ballet helps everything. 

There is still time for your dancer to appreciate ballet.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: