Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Mumof4

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD6 is on the comp team and this is her first year doing a troupe. For U8s they don't have set classes. Ballet is obviously required but that's it.
I noticed the older girls have to take set classes and one of them is tap! DD6 hates tap haha. She is really good at ballet and jazz but refuses to even consider tap.
Obviously she is 6 and this might change but is tap hard to pick up at an older age? I don't know a whole lot about tap and am interested in others thoughts.
Thanks in advance.
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I think she is too young to really know if she hates tap. The stuff they do in tap up to the age of 6 is not really tap, just fundamentals and musicality. I would encourage her to stick at it, as she gets older it gets exciting when the real skill begins.

Tap is hard to pick up at an older age. A lot of other dance styles will follow a similar type of technique, a good classical dancer can pick up lyrical for example. But tap has a whole language of its own.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I really can't see anything positive coming from forcing a six year old to take a dance class she isn't interested in or actively dislikes.  Why buy extra shoes, pay for an extra class, and deal with an unhappy kid over tap?  

If she decides she likes tap later, she can pick it up.  I've seen plenty of kids who never danced at all decide they want to start when they are 10, 12, or even older and catch up to their peers.  There are professional dancers who actually didn't start dancing until college.

RebelSwan

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My daughter has been at two studios.  She's 13 now, and at the current studio there is no chance anyone could catch up at this age.  Even a struggle for kids who transfer in with tap experience.

At the old studio you would be placed on the tap team and could very likely be their top tapper in the first year.  But I've also never seen them receive a mark over 89.

Our style is very relentless and "machine gun" and boy those kids WORK.  [frown] It's so opposite of the slow musical Fred Astaire style I love.
threedancingdaughters

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My DD was indifferent to tap her first comp year (age 6). She thought it was boring and liked her jazz dance so much better. Now she is 8 and going into her third year of comp and loves tap! The basics were super boring for her, but she had a tap group this past year with a teacher that she really looks up to who made it very fun, and that one year made a huge difference! Now she's always tapping around the house [smile] So what your DD loves or hates could very well change! I wouldn't worry about it much. 6 is young, there's plenty of time to learn more tap if she wants to or needs to in the coming years.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
If she doesn't want tap and doesn't have to take it don't make her at this age. I think it helps you learn to count your music and with rhythm so it's good exposure but don't force it.

Our studio encourages kids to tap for experience but the older comp kids do not have to and do not compete tap.. The younger comp kids do all take tap class as a requirement.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
A few of the girls at dd's former studio competed without taking tap.  Even though it was a strong tap studio, they were never penalized for not taking tap.  I wouldn't force her.  She may or may not come to it on her own when she is older.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
My DD's Mini team has tap as mandatory - they compete in it and have to take both a tech and a choreo class for it. My DD8 is not a strong tapper and doesn't really enjoy it. She understands why she has to take it in that it helps musicality, rhythm and timing but she doesn't love it. As soon as she can drop it she will, but she's stuck with it this season and I think at least another year or two after that. The teacher does make all the difference though. DD has a really strong tap teacher and DD enjoys taking class from her so that's the only positive from it. 
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
DD never took a single tap class until she was almost 12. Now, at 17, she is an exceptional tapper. When she started, she was placed in a class of 8-10 year olds who had been tapping a few years. The first few months she struggled to learn the basics, we offered to pay for privates to help catch her up, but the teacher told us to wait until after Christmas and see how she was doing. I would pick her up and find her in the lobby with younger girls going over steps with her to help her out, it was adorable. By Christmas, she was completely caught up to that group. By the end of the year, she was placed with her own age group for the next year. By the next year, she was being called out by tap teachers at conventions and placed in the most advanced groups at our studio, which is strong in tap. A natural sense of music and rhythm helps a ton, but there is no reason she has to start tap now to be good at it.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
What I'm getting from these responses is that Jacaranda may be correct, tap may indeed have a language of its own.  You aren't going to pick it up in an afternoon or three.

But at the end of the day, it's still dance.  So if a dancer is willing to work on some of the fundamentals over a period of time - even if that means working with much younger classmates - that language can be learned.

Mumof4

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Thank you for all your advice 😉
At this point I wouldn't bother forcing her to do it. I was just interested in seeing others experiences.
I am sure if she has to take it she will work it out.
She just thinks it's too loud and noisy at the moment, she is 6, things change.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I agree, I wouldn't force her to take it, especially at the age of 6.

That being said, tap can really help a dancer's development. It can help your rhythm and musicality. It forces you to really listen to the music and find where each sound fits correctly. Tap, depending on how it is taught, can really transform a dancer. Classical tap specifically takes more skill imo. You must be on the balls of your feet at all times, its much less flat footed. I find that dancers who train in classical tap are often able to switch over to other types of tap more easily than the other way around. Similar to how I find a dancer trained in classical ballet is able to pick up other styles more quickly(and with better technique!), of course, this is only my opinion.
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Most kids hate tap early on, but may love it later. When young they can just hear the loud noise and that it's not right, not necessarily how to fix it. Our last two places required tap for every one 3y and up. Our new place has it as an elective. Dd was finally starting to love tap so it's taking up one of her electives.

I'd wait until your little is older before stressing about it. We've had older girls join the studio from nothing and excel at tap.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
DS started tap at 3 and hated it.  At 6 he dropped it.  By 8 it was required for elite company and he fell in love that year.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.