Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Talk about what they want us to see....

Interesting to read today about our local dancer, Ariana, in the top 20. She was asked by the producers which team she wanted to be on, street or stage. This was after she was told she made the top 20. She chose street, so obviously she is only shown on the show in that light. Like most, her background is much more versatile than street. I suppose it is no different than ballet dancers such as Alex Wong and Danny Tidwell going on the show with the contemporary dancer label. 

Ariana has had little air time compared to most in the top 20. Makes me worried that most of the country who does vote wouldn't know her. 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #52 
During the announcement of the Top 20, Denis had earned a spot, but then turned it down.  And yet by my count they only showed 9 other stage dancers making it through, without indicating who took Denis's place at the last minute.  Even if I did miss that new 10th person, they weren't introduced as his replacement.  And then Ariana is being asked which team she wants to be on?  Do you think that has something to do with Denis' abrupt departure?  I should go back and watch my recordings from that top 20 show.  We were away but I had the PVR running at home.  

As for Asaf, I could look at him for days, but wish someone would remove his vocal chords (don't tape his mouth ...those teeth, that smile ....).  LOL!  
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #53 
It sounds like she was asked before that as she was announced as being on the street team originally. The article I read mentions that she was asked which team she wanted to be on when they told her she made the top 20. I would hazard a guess that she is one of several who may have been given a choice, or at least asked their preference.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
During the announcement of the Top 20, Denis had earned a spot, but then turned it down.  And yet by my count they only showed 9 other stage dancers making it through, without indicating who took Denis's place at the last minute.  Even if I did miss that new 10th person, they weren't introduced as his replacement.  And then Ariana is being asked which team she wants to be on?  Do you think that has something to do with Denis' abrupt departure?  I should go back and watch my recordings from that top 20 show.  We were away but I had the PVR running at home.  

As for Asaf, I could look at him for days, but wish someone would remove his vocal chords (don't tape his mouth ...those teeth, that smile ....).  LOL!  

I don't know all the names yet... there are the two ballet guys, Derek Piquette, Moises, the tap girl, Katherine, her partner in the top 20 performances... I think his name was Edson?  Then there were the three girls in that heels number... Alexia, Marissa... Hailey??

The tapper in the street group in Vegas implied that they asked him which team he wanted to dance on, too.  Maybe it was a common question for any dancer who had a background that could go either way.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #55 
I remember one girl saying during auditions that she had trained extensively in things like ballet/jazz/contemporary and had auditioned previously and didn't make it.  Then when she heard the new format she went back and started training exclusively in hip hop styles so she could audition again as a hip hop dancer.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
I remember one girl saying during auditions that she had trained extensively in things like ballet/jazz/contemporary and had auditioned previously and didn't make it.  Then when she heard the new format she went back and started training exclusively in hip hop styles so she could audition again as a hip hop dancer.

Ash said JaJa made it to the Green Mile last year, but did not make the cut for the Top 20.  The new format seemed to have been to her benefit!  And you can definitely see in her dance/rehearsal footage that she has extensive technical training as well.

kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom

Ash said JaJa made it to the Green Mile last year, but did not make the cut for the Top 20.  The new format seemed to have been to her benefit!  And you can definitely see in her dance/rehearsal footage that she has extensive technical training as well.

It was Yourelis (sp?) who nearly made it a previous year doing what would be called "stage" style and this year came back and auditioned for Street.  She's going to go a long way I think.

More later on last night's show but JaJa was my superstar last night.  Loved her.  Wow.  
IteachM

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #58 
I really enjoy SYTYCD and have for years -- one of the few TV shows I watch regularly. I'm ok with the stage vs. street concept (or at least I thought I was), but for some reason this year I feel like things are way less transparent and fair than previous years and it's frustrating for me. The producers have always controlled what we see and attempted to shape the viewers' opinions of various dancers, but it's bugging more this time around. Between the street side having quite a bit of stage-trained dancers to the less than random ways dances are assigned (really? a dancer who tours with Travis get a duet choreographed by Travis fresh out of the gate last week), I don't feel like dancers are getting fair/equal treatment. I don't understand how some dancers are assigned to duets while others are mixed into small groups. Are we supposed to believe that's random or just accept that that's fair? Last week, I couldn't quite get how it was fair to put some dancers squarely in their comfort zone and place others way out of theirs. Building up some dancers with back stories and personal connections (devoting disproportionate amounts of time to some dancers over others) isn't new on the show, but it seems a little worse/more obvious this year. I think part of that is embedded in the stage/street format. The real back stories would probably reveal a lot more formal training (for street side dancers) than the producers want us to know about as viewers. I felt terrible that those ballet guys were paired off in last week's show to do a duet in those odd costumes (to me those costumes looked like rejected designs from the stiletto jazz number). The stage dancer who was eliminated has had virtually no back story / air time (then he was placed in a trio where he had much more challenging partner work to manage than the other guys and didn't really stand a chance at a good review from the judges) while other male dancers (Asaf in particular) had very "adapted" choreo and got loads of air time to show the numerous "pep talks" he receives to keep him in the mood to work/try new things (like choroe .... lol, really? at what point don't we expect him to embrace choreo on his own?). I'm glad Twitch pointed out that it's particularly disrespectful to the choreographer to resist choreo that's being tailored to you as a dancer. I really think the duets vs. trios vs. quads/small groups comparison might actually be the most frustrating change. It think it's easier to compare individual dancers when seeing them all in the same type of configuration (like duets). To me it's not quite fair expect people to pick out their favorite dancers from such mixed partnering configurations.

I'm excited about the anniversary show. Maybe it will put me in a better mood watching the rest of the season. Right now, Jaja is my favorite. I loved her duet with Jim.  [smile]
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IteachM
I really enjoy SYTYCD and have for years -- one of the few TV shows I watch regularly. I'm ok with the stage vs. street concept (or at least I thought I was), but for some reason this year I feel like things are way less transparent and fair than previous years and it's frustrating for me. The producers have always controlled what we see and attempted to shape the viewers' opinions of various dancers, but it's bugging more this time around. Between the street side having quite a bit of stage-trained dancers to the less than random ways dances are assigned (really? a dancer who tours with Travis get a duet choreographed by Travis fresh out of the gate last week), I don't feel like dancers are getting fair/equal treatment. I don't understand how some dancers are assigned to duets while others are mixed into small groups. Are we supposed to believe that's random or just accept that that's fair? Last week, I couldn't quite get how it was fair to put some dancers squarely in their comfort zone and place others way out of theirs. Building up some dancers with back stories and personal connections (devoting disproportionate amounts of time to some dancers over others) isn't new on the show, but it seems a little worse/more obvious this year. I think part of that is embedded in the stage/street format. The real back stories would probably reveal a lot more formal training (for street side dancers) than the producers want us to know about as viewers. I felt terrible that those ballet guys were paired off in last week's show to do a duet in those odd costumes (to me those costumes looked like rejected designs from the stiletto jazz number). The stage dancer who was eliminated has had virtually no back story / air time (then he was placed in a trio where he had much more challenging partner work to manage than the other guys and didn't really stand a chance at a good review from the judges) while other male dancers (Asaf in particular) had very "adapted" choreo and got loads of air time to show the numerous "pep talks" he receives to keep him in the mood to work/try new things (like choroe .... lol, really? at what point don't we expect him to embrace choreo on his own?). I'm glad Twitch pointed out that it's particularly disrespectful to the choreographer to resist choreo that's being tailored to you as a dancer. I really think the duets vs. trios vs. quads/small groups comparison might actually be the most frustrating change. It think it's easier to compare individual dancers when seeing them all in the same type of configuration (like duets). To me it's not quite fair expect people to pick out their favorite dancers from such mixed partnering configurations.

I'm excited about the anniversary show. Maybe it will put me in a better mood watching the rest of the season. Right now, Jaja is my favorite. I loved her duet with Jim.  [smile]

I agree with everything you said. I find the new format frustrating as well with duets vs small groups vs trios etc. The show just seems all over the place.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #60 
I'm excited about the anniversary show tonight but fear it's going to really show all the shortcomings of the current show.
  • I was disappointed to see we hadn't switched to a couples format as of this week.  
  • I'm still disliking the camera work and found myself talking to the TV about it last night. 
  • What's going on with costuming this year? Everything is the same muddy brown/gray.  
  • What's with Cat's wardrobe? Last night it looked as though they had leftover red drapes and threw them at her.  
  • Shockingly, I liked Paula as a judge last night. She actually made sense.  Unfortunately, she took it away from Jason, who was even worse.
If you haven't watched yet and don't want spoilers, stop reading now.  [smile]  
  • Mary Murphy would have been all over the Salsa from Yorelis, Darion and Haley as horrible technique from two of the three. Yorelis was the only one with proper foot and hip action.  I did agree with the comment that Haley makes up for any shortcomings with the use of her face, which I find just spot perfect all the time so far. Enjoy watching her.
  • The jazz number from Derek and Ariana was bizarre in terms of choreography as it was basically two soloists, not a duet where they got to interact.  It also didn't really take advantage of Derek's abilities and the costuming was so flat that they almost blended into the lighting. I tweeted to save him but won't do it for much longer unless he can connect to the audience more.  
  • The bollywood from Lily, Gaby, Burim and Edson was "Bollywood Lite".  Normally SYTYCD Bollywood is wicked fast, very intricate and very complicated. In this one, the boys had next to nothing to do, but at least Edson was centred over his feet and doing the moves crisply.  Neither of the girls was light enough on their feet to pull it off and the long headpiece was distracting.  
  • DD has danced to Dee Caspary numbers in the past and he's a taskmaster that makes you work for it so I'm not surprised that I loved that piece he gave Megz, Alexia and Virgil. It allowed each of them to shine without dumbing anything down.  Virgil is just fun to watch and Megz has something very magical about her.  Alexia fit it but should have shone in her own genre, although, as one of the judges said, that look she gave the camera at the very end put a beautiful bow on the piece.  
  • The Ray Leeper Jazz for Marissa, Moises and JJ was fun and I thought Marissa was strong although the judges seem to want to knock her down.  I forgot Moises was out there.  JJ too to some extent and I usually like her.  
  • I love Spencer Liff but I did not care too much for his Broadway piece for Kate, Neptune and Assf, but maybe that's because I thought Kate's face was totally under-done, and Asaf was just trying to keep up during most of the piece.  Neptune was a revelation!  Loved him in this piece.  I saw Kate in Shaping Sound and loved her but I'm just not seeing her as a great fit for this show.  She IS too cool in her approach (and by cool I mean distant, not awesome).  It's almost as though she's putting up with being there, as opposed to jumping at the opportunity.  That may be way off base but it's how it comes across to me.
  • The routine of the night was JaJa and Jim.  OMG that girl can work her face and the way she smoothed out her moves ....love love loved it.  
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Last week they were in their own style of dance and that is why they had odd pairings.
This week they were mixed up (stage and street) danced together.  So I am confused about the unfair part, I thought the pairing was fair.  I was very different from last week.
Personally I like the changing of the group sizes.  I mean with duets, it's kind of the same thing with partnering.  I think by mixing it up, you get a little something more.  So far I can't judge if I like the new format or not.  I am staying open at this point

I will agree that the ballet costumes last week were HORRIBLE.  I am glad Paula pointed that out.  Sometime the dancers get stuck with bad costumes or bad choreo.  It has happened in all the years I watched.  I hate that as well, but that is part of the choreographers vision and I think the dancers should not be held accountable for it, but sadly they do.

I actually enjoyed and was impressed with the "street" dancers.  They did amazing, but of course in the back of my head I know they are not solely street dancers at this point.

Ok fav dances of last night.  Ballet boy & Jaja, the trio with Megz & the street "see saw" routine.  I enjoyed all the street routines this time around.  I think I have more street favorites this season and usually I love any and almost all the contemporary routines.  The opening number was weird but cool all at once.

While Derrick is a beautiful dancer and has legs all day like Ricky.  Let's face it...He is no Ricky.  He lacks the Ricky personality.  He dances at the same studio Ricky did and they are campaigning hard for him, but I am just not surprised he was at the bottom.  He needs to show more of himself on stage and in interviews.

At this point in time my fav stage dancer is the tapper and fav street dancers are Megz, Ja Ja & JJ and the smaller guy now called Neptune (I think that is who I am thinking of)
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #62 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopmom
Last week they were in their own style of dance and that is why they had odd pairings.
This week they were mixed up (stage and street) danced together.  So I am confused about the unfair part, I thought the pairing was fair.  I was very different from last week.
Personally I like the changing of the group sizes.  I mean with duets, it's kind of the same thing with partnering.  I think by mixing it up, you get a little something more.  So far I can't judge if I like the new format or not.  I am staying open at this point

I will agree that the ballet costumes last week were HORRIBLE.  I am glad Paula pointed that out.  Sometime the dancers get stuck with bad costumes or bad choreo.  It has happened in all the years I watched.  I hate that as well, but that is part of the choreographers vision and I think the dancers should not be held accountable for it, but sadly they do.

I actually enjoyed and was impressed with the "street" dancers.  They did amazing, but of course in the back of my head I know they are not solely street dancers at this point.

Ok fav dances of last night.  Ballet boy & Jaja, the trio with Megz & the street "see saw" routine.  I enjoyed all the street routines this time around.  I think I have more street favorites this season and usually I love any and almost all the contemporary routines.  The opening number was weird but cool all at once.

While Derrick is a beautiful dancer and has legs all day like Ricky.  Let's face it...He is no Ricky.  He lacks the Ricky personality.  He dances at the same studio Ricky did and they are campaigning hard for him, but I am just not surprised he was at the bottom.  He needs to show more of himself on stage and in interviews.

At this point in time my fav stage dancer is the tapper and fav street dancers are Megz, Ja Ja & JJ and the smaller guy now called Neptune (I think that is who I am thinking of)

If you're responding to my post (the only one who has posted about last night's show) I didn't say anything about it being unfair, only that I wished they'd gone to couples.  For me, trios and quartets make it harder to really see what one individual dancer is doing, especially with the crazy camera angles and movement this year.  It also makes it easier for the producers to hide certain dancers.
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #63 
kmpmom, actually I think we were posting at the same time, since I am just now seeing your post above mine. [smile]
I do see your point as well as other posters, I was just sharing my opinion of how I didn't mind it. 
I do think someone somewhere said it was unfair and I was just pointing out the differences with past shows and this season as to why it seems the way it does.  

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #64 
I missed last night's show again and did not remember to DVR it. I have been working on Monday nights which gets in the way of my guilty pleasure for the summer.

Anyway, I have worried about our local gal, Ariana, from the start as she had minimal to no air time before she was selected for the top 20. Makes me feel like they viewed her as a "throw away." She's not an "in your face" sort of person, kind of shy and sweet. I don't know that she has a particularly dramatic back story of any sort either. She is a gorgeous contemporary dancer, but not competition style. I've seen her do most styles over the years. 

Thanks for the reviews, kmpmom! I hope to catch some of the dances on line. 
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #65 
My two favorites are definitely JaJa and Jim (those feet!!!).  I can tell JaJa isn't just a street dancer and I know next to nothing about dance.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #66 
I am feeling jipped by the 10th anniversary show. While I loved the dances they did show, I feel like they wasted so much time on the other stuff. I wanted more dances [frown]
kt923

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
I am feeling jipped by the 10th anniversary show. While I loved the dances they did show, I feel like they wasted so much time on the other stuff. I wanted more dances [frown]

I agree. I was (pathetically) really looking forward to this. It was just a desperate grab for viewers leading into the premiere of the Knock Knock game show. Between the Seacrest interviews, this season's dancers doing awful 3 second solos, the 4 minutes dedicated to the crappy auditions, 3 minutes to national dance day, there was hardly any time left for the memorable dance routines. Not to mention the routines that we DID see have been re-performed several times over the years, so there wasn't really anything special about it.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #68 
Given the performers are all working dancers, I'm sure it was hard to get enough of them together in one place to put the show together.  I know Eliana Girard is injured but was supposed to perform (perhaps Bang Bang with Alex Wong? - UGH I would watch that forever).  There no way a dance lover could have watched that and not been disappointed in the show but thrilled by the dances.  Fix You was stronger than ever --- Gah …Allison.  Forever and all day long I could watch her.  The Hummingbird - Jamie Goodwin was just beyond the pale.  I voted for Outta Your Mind as fav dance and I thought DD was going to fall off the couch she was clapping and shouting so loudly while it was on.  The one that disappointed me was Run the World.  All in all, while disappointed, I wish they would do that all the time.  I'd watch every time.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #69 

I too was looking so forward to the "Anniversary Show" but alas was disappointed again with my former favorite show. 

While I could watch "Outta Your Mind" forever (my top 5 favorites on this show for sure).  What is an anniversary show without Mary, Adam, Mia and all the other judges who made this show so great.  I understand that the dancers are busy so making an appearance would be difficult for some but not having the former judges was a glaring oversight.

I am still watching but this will likely be my last season watching if the show returns with Paula and Jason and this same format.

Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #70 
To clarify, I wasn't disappointed in the dances they did show, I loved all of those, I just think there should have been more of them. They wasted so much time on the Solos of the current season, auditions and Ryan Seacrest new show.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #71 
I haven't watched the Anniversary show.  The older dances they did ..... were they done by the original dancers?   One season they had the contestants doing well loved pieces from seasons past and I did NOT enjoy watching it done by dancers other than the ones who danced those pieces originally on the show.
highlandmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #72 
I was disappointed with the show, it seemed that they wasted too much time on random items when they could have spent it on the past dances.  On a side note we were not exposed to the new Ryan Seacrest show but were exposed at one time to six full minutes of commercials in a row.  Average time per commercial break was four, thank gosh for PVR's.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #73 
My2, the dances were done by the original dancers.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #74 
I enjoyed the anniversary show.  I thought Robert looked like he was struggling a bit during Fix You and it seemed like Allison gave him some encouragement once it was over.  I loved him as a dancer the first time around but since his accident I see him struggling with things which is understandable.

I really liked Comfort and Jasmine and Mark and Jenna but I could watch Mark dance for hours.
mackiecat

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #75 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
My2, the dances were done by the original dancers.
the bench however was missing Heidi
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.