Author   Comment   Page 2 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
Michgal

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michgal
Was Kate the first one they put through top 20 on team street?

No she is on the stage team.

I meant team stage! Oy vey...so was she the first on team stage? 
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Go Jim!   [smile]
LJK2dance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
We love Kate in our house!  After seeing Shaping Sound this past year, she was one of the dancers who came out in the lobby after the show for pictures (along with Travis - I was admittedly starstruck!).  Not only was she fabulous in the show, but she was truly kind and gracious.  She posed for tons of pictures and took the time to talk to the girls and answer questions.  At first, I was a little put off because of her Shaping Sound connection, but quickly got over it.  She is not a household name and this program has the potential to bring her even greater professional success.  She may have a tiny edge in that Travis knows her strengths and weaknesses, however, I think Travis could make even ME look great!  Jim is quite simply amazing.  I could watch an hour long show just featuring him!

I am happy with all of the Team Stage dancers.  I am not a street dance kind of gal, but the Team Street dancers looked good too. I still don't quite understand the new format.  The Stage team will still have to dance different genres.  It seems that there are different "genres" of street dance, but, frankly, it all looks pretty much the same to me!
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
What did everyone think about last night's show?  I thought it was kinda flat and the camera work was awful.  Most of the time you couldn't see the full dance and when you could, they quickly broke away to Paula/Jason face-time.  Notice that Nigel rarely gets similar treatment?  Gotta be something in their contracts.

I know a lot of you are Gaby fans and I hate they keep calling her a "tapper" as it implies she hasn't trained in any other style which she quite obviously has (as have almost every other "tapper" on the planet).  With regard to the Stacey Tookey piece she was in, I didn't like the fog covering up 1/3 of their bodies but you could see she has lovely lines but I'm not sure about the performance side.  Derek is exquisite but he came across as devoid of personality.  

Loved the second street routine (with replacement Asaf who is gorgeous but won't last long --- how did someone who cannot pick up choreography get picked of the show?  That's insane).  

Don't get me wrong, I'd pay to watch Jim rehearse and that piece was very hard but both he and his partner (whose name escapes me) were far too "delicate" (DD's word) in their movements for that music.  

I liked the Kate Harpootlian duet near the end but how did she get a duet from Travis none-the-less when the others were all in trios or quartets?  I liked the piece (couldn't take my eyes off her) but DD immediately said, "there is ZERO connection between the two of them.  Yuck".  I do wonder though whether the judges were extra harsh so as not to show favouritism.

Really liked the street group piece at the end but come on ...how were the two breakers allowed to leave the stage during the tricky choreo part and then slide back on again?  They should have to do everything or the audience could perceive that they were there and give them credit.

The stage group dance (broadway) was awesome!  

I know there's more, but my vacation dulled brain is not remembering at the moment.  Overall, It thought the show was ....okay.  

Oh!  Great to see Brian Friedman back and I liked his piece.  
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
What did everyone think about last night's show?  I thought it was kinda flat and the camera work was awful.  Most of the time you couldn't see the full dance and when you could, they quickly broke away to Paula/Jason face-time.  Notice that Nigel rarely gets similar treatment?  Gotta be something in their contracts.

I know a lot of you are Gaby fans and I hate they keep calling her a "tapper" as it implies she hasn't trained in any other style which she quite obviously has (as have almost every other "tapper" on the planet).  With regard to the Stacey Tookey piece she was in, I didn't like the fog covering up 1/3 of their bodies but you could see she has lovely lines but I'm not sure about the performance side.  Derek is exquisite but he came across as devoid of personality.  

Loved the second street routine (with replacement Asaf who is gorgeous but won't last long --- how did someone who cannot pick up choreography get picked of the show?  That's insane).  

Don't get me wrong, I'd pay to watch Jim rehearse and that piece was very hard but both he and his partner (whose name escapes me) were far too "delicate" (DD's word) in their movements for that music.  

I liked the Kate Harpootlian duet near the end but how did she get a duet from Travis none-the-less when the others were all in trios or quartets?  I liked the piece (couldn't take my eyes off her) but DD immediately said, "there is ZERO connection between the two of them.  Yuck".  I do wonder though whether the judges were extra harsh so as not to show favouritism.

Really liked the street group piece at the end but come on ...how were the two breakers allowed to leave the stage during the tricky choreo part and then slide back on again?  They should have to do everything or the audience could perceive that they were there and give them credit.

I know there's more, but my vacation dulled brain is not remembering at the moment.  Overall, It thought the show was ....okay.  

The day they require the entire group to break dance like those 2 guys did in that piece is the day it'll be unfair to give them a 16 second pass on choreography that the others are doing
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
Quote:

The day they require the entire group to break dance like those 2 guys did in that piece is the day it'll be unfair to give them a 16 second pass on choreography that the others are doing

True but the entire stage team wasn't required to tap like Gaby and Moses did - they, essentially, got a pass on that.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

True but the entire stage team wasn't required to tap like Gaby and Moses did - they, essentially, got a pass on that.

I'm confused now. Not making everybody tap is giving them a pass. Not having the breakers do that 16 count is giving them a pass. Not having the whole street group do windmills and whatever those insane back spins are is giving them a pass. It seems everybody can expect a pass at some point. Seems fair to me
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm confused now. Not making everybody tap is giving them a pass. Not having the breakers do that 16 count is giving them a pass. Not having the whole street group do windmills and whatever those insane back spins are is giving them a pass. It seems everybody can expect a pass at some point. Seems fair to me

I actually don't think just having Gaby and Moses do the tap is giving everyone else a pass --- it was instead giving two people who could do something extraordinary a chance to showcase that.   The reverse happened with the two breakers.  The could NOT do what was 'ordinary' or at least 'accomplishable' by the other finalists and were given a pass.  

Having said that, I have no issues with the one guy (Birum?) who is a breaker and who seems to have enough ability in other areas to hang in there.  I think he was sent off so that Asaf didn't go alone.  Asaf, whom I adored during the auditions, is just a breaker.  Letting him through and giving him the pass last night was like letting a tap dancer out of the contemporary or lyrical routines because she hasn't learned to point her feet, extend her knees, use her port de bras ...etc.   

emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
In general I wasn't thrilled with the show.  There were some "good" numbers but mostly I was underwhelmed.  And of course Jason had his performance; we'll have that to look forward to every week I suppose.  And I used to actually like his music...

Really concerned for the future of my former favorite show!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #35 
I just finished watching.  The big thing that stuck out for me was the horrific pointe work during Jason's song.  I couldn't recognize which of the all stars the three girls were but they were definitely not ballet dancers and shouldn't have been en pointe.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #36 
YES, It was just not me, I swear DH thinks I am crazy, I was so annoyed with the camera work last night. In the group numbers they would only show 2 or three in the group at a time, then pan to the judges. And every time Jason Derulo.... speaks it drives me nuts. (and every time I say his name I sing it like he does just like before every song that he sings, uhg) Him and Paula I fast fwd through, even his song and dance. Nigel lately even spends more and more time talking to the choreographers than the dancers. Travis had beautiful choreo as usual, honestly reminded me the Denise Wall groups from watching The Dance Awards. Loved Stacey's. I definitely got the feelings she was going for. Some of the street looked a little bit too Broadway. It would be so hard to combine them. Fave is Yaya, and Megz. I remember Yaya from previous year and she has worked her butt off! SO much improvement(So was Poppins, I thought she was in) 
Was it really just me that thought the ballet duo was off? I thought it was a mess and he missed steps.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
I was very disappointed.  In years past, didn't they break out separate shows for top 10 men vs. women? So you only had to focus on 10 dancers per night?  With this format, they had all 20 dancers in a two hour show.  Some in groups of 4, some in groups of 2 or 3.  That, plus the camera work made it especially tough to get a feel for any dancer that you weren't already familiar with.

And many of the dances just didn't feel polished yet.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #38 
I've always hated the camera work for this show. And the weird lighting where the make it so dark you can't see anything clearly
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #39 
I also thought the lighting was terrible last night.  Maybe the lighting people weren't all that used to all the new fancy lights.

LOL about the Paula clap.  Drives me nuts and reminds me of when my kids were little and that's how they clapped!

Can we talk about those beautiful feet of Jim's???????  Wow, amazing.

Was annoyed about a few things:
1. Lighting (as I mentioned above)
2. Asaf (??) and Biram (?) hiding in the background and not having to do the choreo, they shouldn't be on the show although that Asaf is one gooooood looking guy.
3. Too many stripper numbers.  I'd die if my daughter even in her 20's had to wear some of those outfits.
4. I miss Mary and hope Nigel regrets firing her!
5. I also miss Wade Robson terribly and Mia Michaels.  They are amazing!!

That was my 0.2 cents on last nights show :-)

Margaret
amberdawn76

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerinaPaisley06
I also thought the lighting was terrible last night.  Maybe the lighting people weren't all that used to all the new fancy lights.

LOL about the Paula clap.  Drives me nuts and reminds me of when my kids were little and that's how they clapped!

Can we talk about those beautiful feet of Jim's???????  Wow, amazing.

Was annoyed about a few things:
1. Lighting (as I mentioned above)
2. Asaf (??) and Biram (?) hiding in the background and not having to do the choreo, they shouldn't be on the show although that Asaf is one gooooood looking guy.
3. Too many stripper numbers.  I'd die if my daughter even in her 20's had to wear some of those outfits.
4. I miss Mary and hope Nigel regrets firing her!
5. I also miss Wade Robson terribly and Mia Michaels.  They are amazing!!

That was my 0.2 cents on last nights show :-)

Margaret

Ok...I'm curious.  Other than I'm guessing the Brian Friedman jazz number, which dances did you feel were inappropriate?
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #41 
I didn't think either was inappropriate per say - the other was the hip hop by Pharside and Phoenix.  Thought it was stripperish too.  I must say I really did enjoy Brian's routine.
amberdawn76

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
I didn't think either was inappropriate per say - the other was the hip hop by Pharside and Phoenix.  Thought it was stripperish too.  I must say I really did enjoy Brian's routine.

Ok.  Like I said, I was just curious.  Those were two of my favorites of the night.  I guess I like the stripperish ones.  LOL [rofl]
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:

Interesting. This didn't resister that way at all to me. It's interesting how different we can all see things.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. This didn't resister that way at all to me. It's interesting how different we can all see things.
I called stripper show too with Brian Friedman costumes. I think the girls danced it classy, and it was a very good jazz number, but it's the cut out bra tops that were to riskay for me! As soon as they popped open their jackets I was OH My....!! Slight alteration and I would have been better with it.
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Yeah,even my husband thought the stripper costumes were to distract from the fact they really did more posing than dancing in that number.  Black catsuits would have actually been sexier, IMO.

I found the stilettos a dangerous choice, don't the dancers normally get to choose their own footwear?  
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge
Yeah,even my husband thought the stripper costumes were to distract from the fact they really did more posing than dancing in that number.  Black catsuits would have actually been sexier, IMO.

I found the stilettos a dangerous choice, don't the dancers normally get to choose their own footwear?  

I thought the kip-up in the stilettos was pretty stinkin' impressive.  Dancing in stilettos is a pretty hard skill in itself and pretty hard to learn in a few days.  So I give those girls some props...especially the Utah girl who said she doesn't usually wear heals of any kind.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Finally saw the show (top 20 perform). My thoughts on some of the numbers... The Stacy Tookey number in the white - the choreograpjy and those two boys were amazing, wasn't impressed w/ the girl - barely noticed her at all. The hip hop w/ Jaja was good - that Asaf has to be one of the best looking men I have ever seen - he is so gorgeous he glows. I think he's going to get a lot of votes because he's so charismatic and impossible to ignore - his tricks are unique and impressive too, I guess we'll see how he does. Wow is he gorgeous.

That number w/ the jackets certainly was risqué, but I thought it was very entertaining and well done - however, it's kind of an eye opener of how there is a fine line between dancing and adult entertainment :/.

The two ballet boys were amazing individually, but I don't really think they danced together like a duet should. And gosh, why did they put them in girl costumes?

The Bruno Mars number looked like something from the teen division of a competition (with a much higher quality prop) that would get a high gold and not make the top 10 - not impressed at all.

Travis' choreography was beautiful and those two performed it perfectly - think that red haired older girl is one of my favorites, and I don't care what the judges said. Travis is adorable in his advisor role too - I really liked seeing him in the behind the scenes scenes.

I actually enjoyed Jason Duerelo's performance, and the "thriller video" group dance parts were really good, but those girls shouldn't have been wearing point shoes - a show like this should know better [frown].

Seems to me that short haired Hailey girl is the "favorite" so far based on screen time and choreogrpahy featuring - I'm not really seeing why though as a few of the other girls seem like stronger dancers to me. So many of the boys are good - Jim the ballet guy seems to stand out a bit, but the others are so good too that it isn't like Ricky level standing out.

That broadway group dance was spectacular, but the street group dance was good too - I hope they keep doing a group number for each team every week.

I will never stop missing Mary judging wise.

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #48 
I'm not going to have popular opinions but I'll share anyway.

First, I don't think I like this format. 

I loved the team street hip hop number, and the Broadway group dance but that was all I loved.  I wasn't even crazy about Travis's choreo.

Here is where I will get unpopular.   I get that other dancers have danced professionally or some what professionally and been on the show, but I think Kate being in Travis's professional company and now on his "team", and having him as an advisor is a real conflict of interest and unfair to the other contestants.  She could dance circles around everyone else and I will never cast a vote for her , because IMO she already has an advantage , she knows and works personally with Travis. 

Asaf -  What a good looking boy.  And he is a total B*tch in my opinion.   If they want to let him off the hook as far as the choreo he isn't capable of picking up , fine.  Yes, it's been done before for others.  And no , most can't do what he can do.  What I don't like is that he has been a whiner since Vegas week about choreo , because he simply can't hang.  And it seems he expects to be let off the hook. Burim struggled with choreo also, but he didn't whine about it. He goes for it.   I don't like whiners.  Asaf won't get any votes from me either.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:

I loved the team street hip hop number, and the Broadway group dance but that was all I loved.  I wasn't even crazy about Travis's choreo.

Here is where I will get unpopular.   I get that other dancers have danced professionally or some what professionally and been on the show, but I think Kate being in Travis's professional company and now on his "team", and having him as an advisor is a real conflict of interest and unfair to the other contestants.  She could dance circles around everyone else and I will never cast a vote for her , because IMO she already has an advantage , she knows and works personally with Travis. 

Asaf -  What a good looking boy.  And he is a total B*tch in my opinion.   If they want to let him off the hook as far as the choreo he isn't capable of picking up , fine.  Yes, it's been done before for others.  And no , most can't do what he can do.  What I don't like is that he has been a whiner since Vegas week about choreo , because he simply can't hang.  And it seems he expects to be let off the hook. Burim struggled with choreo also, but he didn't whine about it. He goes for it.   I don't like whiners.  Asaf won't get any votes from me either.
I get what you mean about Asaf, I do feel like he's being whiny, I am just wondering if he's quite as bad as the producers want us to believe. We saw nothing about Burim asking to be cut out, but that doesn't mean that he didn't. He may be the whiniest! Just need to keep in mind that this is what the producers want us to see, they can pretty much sway the votes whichever way they feel.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
Quote:

I get what you mean about Asaf, I do feel like he's being whiny, I am just wondering if he's quite as bad as the producers want us to believe. We saw nothing about Burim asking to be cut out, but that doesn't mean that he didn't. He may be the whiniest! Just need to keep in mind that this is what the producers want us to see, they can pretty much sway the votes whichever way they feel.

Right.  But that's true for any contestant and any situation.  None of them will get a pass from me based on how they were possibly edited.  I think we see and can tell enough from some of the things they say with the cameras on them to form our opinions.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.