Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 8 of 8     «   Prev   5   6   7   8
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #176 
I loved both the tap solo and the tap duet. Really liked both the JaJa/Gaby jazz and the Travis number. Loved the broadway routine - so much fun and suited Virgil and Hailee's personalities. I didn't like the Jaja/Cyrus routine - really wanted to but didn't. For me, it didn't have the wow factor at all, and the costuming for Jaja was so bad, it was really distracting. I liked her solo much better. Loved Virgil's solo. Hailee's, I don't know - I don't know technique so can't comment on that, but from the performance standpoint, it wasn't memorable for me.
lilyzdancemom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #177 
As far as Virgil being a "street" dancer - didn't one of his little interviews or whatever they are (where the name their mentors, etc) say he was on Broadway? I think most of the "street dancers" are trained. It's so annoying [rolleyes]
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #178 
Finally watched the whole episode.

Gaby and Zack were over the top amazing.  I could watch them tap for hours.

Virgil and Joshua killed it.

Wasn't crazy about the JaJa/Cyrus number and I wanted to be because I like them both but it just fell flat.

Loved the lyrical hip hop by Phillip Chebeeb.  I think that had a lot to do with Gaby and Virgil as much as the great choreography.

I really think it is going to come down to Gaby or Virgil next week.
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #179 
That tap routine was flipping amazing!! Gabby & Hailee's duet and Virgil & Cyrus really stood out to me as well.
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #180 
Just a side note.
DD11 said, so I guess a hiphop lyrical routine is another name for contemporary.  LOL
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #181 
Yay for Gabby! I was glad to see her win.

I don't blame Hailey and Gabby for choosing their dances with Robert as their favorites. Who wouldn't want a chance to kiss him again?! Lol

Loved the dance with Alex and Jim!

I wonder if the ratings will be enough to get another season...
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #182 
The finale was by far the best show of the season.  I enjoyed every piece and it was packed with dancing.
All I have to say is OMG at the 10 yr old animator. 
I really enjoyed the top 4 and they all did the best they could and were very entertaining. 

Alex & JIM =  WOW  

My new favorite choreographers after this season are Farside and Phoenix.  I have enjoyed every single one of their street routines

So happy Gaby won.  Miami is packed full of talent, maybe they should hold auditions down here now. [smile]
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #183 
I think the right dancer won. I still wish Jim had been in the top 4. I think his long term potential is higher than most of the others from this season. His dance with Alex was gorgeous. I'm loving Phillip Chebeeb as a choreographer. My dd had lyrical hip hop sections in both her HH solo and large group this year. I really love the style. It made me cringe when Nigel said something about needing SYTYCD for kids. Just no. I did not enjoy the 10 year old animator. She was cute but I'd rather see Cyrus with someone who could really match him. I hope the show gets picked up. I still think it's the best we have right now for introducing young dancers and choreographers to the public.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #184 
I could watch Jim and Alex dance together for hours!
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #185 
I do hope this show is picked up for another season.  Even though I am not a big fan of the format, I prefer the old format.  

I love what the show has done for dance regardless. 

I didn't connect with the dancers on this season as I have in the past so I didn't have too many favorites that had me anticipating each week's show.  But I did enjoy several of the dances that have come out of this season.

I do think that Phoenix and Pharside were one of the best things from this year.  I also like Phillip and my D is a huge fan of Ray Leeper. 

I enjoyed the finale and agreed with most of the favorite dances of the season, so I enjoyed that!  I would prefer to have some guest judges so we don't have to listen to the same ones every week.  I do like hearing a "different" opinion each week, I think it adds to the show.

So happy for Travis and his emmy.  So very deserved!  Btw, If you haven't seen Shaping Sound on tour yet, I highly recommend it!
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #186 
Sorry...I'm still bitter about Jim.  Dd is too.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #187 
I haven't watched the finale.  Got home late that night and my newsfeed was full of GABY so I figured who won. LOL

Sounds like it is worth the watch though.   Happy that Gaby won.
greenhorn

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #188 
I thought this season of SYTYCD was a disappointment.  Not their finest work.  If they are picked up for another season,  they need to revise the format, ditch two of the judges and focus on dance.  Street style, while I enjoy watching it, is not worthy of 10 dancer slots. It is a genre of dance and should be treated as part of the show.  It diluted the pool of dancers.  
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #189 
Honestly I think they could use a year off.  Not canceled but take a year off and start fresh in 2017 after a much needed beak.  And get rid of most of the choreographers, they're great but I miss the unexpected things that happened in the first couple seasons.
tappingfeet

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #190 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
I could watch Jim and Alex dance together for hours!

Me, too!  Their dance was amazing!
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #191 
My dd14 and I are finally sitting down to watch the finale. Our question is if this is aired live how on earth did Jaja do the two back to back #'s? One of them had to be pre-recorded.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #192 
I think some of the routines had to be pre-recorded.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #193 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
I think some of the routines had to be pre-recorded.

That's what we were thinking but couldn't agree lol
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #194 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
Honestly I think they could use a year off.  Not canceled but take a year off and start fresh in 2017 after a much needed beak.  And get rid of most of the choreographers, they're great but I miss the unexpected things that happened in the first couple seasons.

Okay but just one year. If its still around in two years, I am gonna try to convince DD16 to audition. I would rather that she go for it and nit make it than always wonder "what if"?
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #195 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut
Which two numbers? With all the little video clip fillers, commercial breaks and such, there were at least a couple minutes between each number. As someone who does costuming for lots of live theater, I guarantee it is possible to do pretty much any full costume, hair and makeup change in that time. I'm sure many of our dancers have experienced dancing in two numbers at a competition with only one number to change, usually requiring a jog to the dressing room to do it. On a show like this, they have a team of changers waiting for them the second they step into the wings, it goes much faster than you can imagine!

Speaking of fillers, what was that Travis number with Channing Tatum's wife? (Sorry, I don't know her actual name or why she is famous other than her husband.) While it was a lovely piece, I thought her dancing left a lot to be desired and I can't help but wonder why on earth they threw that in there, am I missing something? Loved that Jim and Alex piece, though!

It was towards the beginning, it had no film clip in between. It was A duo with Jaja and then team street doing one of their #'s (can't remember the names now to save my my life lol). I've done lots of theater and quick changes but I'm not sure how they pulled that one off if it wasn't pre-recorded.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #196 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncemom01
Quote:
Which two numbers? With all the little video clip fillers, commercial breaks and such, there were at least a couple minutes between each number. As someone who does costuming for lots of live theater, I guarantee it is possible to do pretty much any full costume, hair and makeup change in that time. I'm sure many of our dancers have experienced dancing in two numbers at a competition with only one number to change, usually requiring a jog to the dressing room to do it. On a show like this, they have a team of changers waiting for them the second they step into the wings, it goes much faster than you can imagine!

Speaking of fillers, what was that Travis number with Channing Tatum's wife? (Sorry, I don't know her actual name or why she is famous other than her husband.) While it was a lovely piece, I thought her dancing left a lot to be desired and I can't help but wonder why on earth they threw that in there, am I missing something? Loved that Jim and Alex piece, though!

It was towards the beginning, it had no film clip in between. It was A duo with Jaja and then team street doing one of their #'s (can't remember the names now to save my my life lol). I've done lots of theater and quick changes but I'm not sure how they pulled that one off if it wasn't pre-recorded.

It was definitely a film clip.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #197 
Quote:
Which two numbers? With all the little video clip fillers, commercial breaks and such, there were at least a couple minutes between each number. As someone who does costuming for lots of live theater, I guarantee it is possible to do pretty much any full costume, hair and makeup change in that time. I'm sure many of our dancers have experienced dancing in two numbers at a competition with only one number to change, usually requiring a jog to the dressing room to do it. On a show like this, they have a team of changers waiting for them the second they step into the wings, it goes much faster than you can imagine! Speaking of fillers, what was that Travis number with Channing Tatum's wife? (Sorry, I don't know her actual name or why she is famous other than her husband.) While it was a lovely piece, I thought her dancing left a lot to be desired and I can't help but wonder why on earth they threw that in there, am I missing something? Loved that Jim and Alex piece, though!

The girl Trevor danced with was Jenna Dewan Channing.  She was in Step up and later a Lifetime series called Witches of East End.  The number they did was something they performed at the Dizzy Feet Gala a couple of months ago.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: