Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 8      1   2   3   4   Next   »
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Who is watching? What do you think?

Love the stage team. I could watch Jim dance all day, so talented! So happy Gabby made it through, hope she goes far. Was hoping Natalie would make it through, I really liked her. I was rooting for Mary too for the street team, really liked her. Interesting street team. Can't wait to see what they do. Afraid to find out who is out next week due to injury...please don't be Jim!

Michgal

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I loved Gabby too- glad she made it! Was really bummed to see Marie Poppins go- my DD took a class with her at Millenium and she is just amazing and such a giving, positive person! 

We were also sad to see Corey Mission Whitfield go home- another amazing dancer, teacher and person! I'm really glad that he got "air" time though- hoping that it'll bring good things his way! 

Shocked that the ballroom guy dropped- they never really said who they replaced him with, did they? 

Can not wait to see what they do with the street dancers also- some incredible talent! Looks like it'll be a good show! 

Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
No, they didn't say who made it in his place.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Didn't get to watch because of work but I am so excited to see that Ariana made it to the top 10 for the street team! 

She started at a good comp school and made the switch to a hip hop school maybe 4-5 yrs ago, when they opened. Dd danced at that hip hop school whenever she could (generally once a week or so). Ariana is just an overall nice gal. I think I even have some photos of her dancing en pointe from their first August SI. Even though it's a hip hop school, most of the dancers in their top crews still take some ballet, etc. I've also see her dance with their contemporary group, so she is far from "pure" street. I bet she's not alone in that. 

Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It's nice to see the support for the female hip hoppers. DD16 loves Jaja. I had hoped for better for Standing O but that is cause we are from Detroit. Not going to lie, but
I'm not surprised that Derek P made it. He is an amazing dancer. He was a guest choreographer at our studio last summer. But being an amazing dancer doesn't mean that you are an amazing teacher for younger kiddos. Just saying.
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 

Our Studio's Hip Hop and Contemporary teacher Megan "Megz" Alfonso made it!! We were jumping around and screaming when they showed her getting through.

Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I think it'll be exciting. All of the street dancers are trained dancers. Really couldn't expect someone without some training to be able to learn choreo and anybody not doing a solo has to learn choreo. I'm really hoping the new formula buys the show more time
FantabulouslyCherry

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
The stage team looks very strong. Gabby is my favorite to make it so far.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Happy to see many of the dancers who made the top 10 on each side of the competition!  Hopefully the dancers themselves can save the show this season!

I just can't warm up to Paula and Jason as judges.  They just seem to bring nothing to the critiques that's useful or insightful in any respect. 

I also hate the cutaways to Paula's and Jason's faces during the dancing.  I watch the show to see the dancers not the judges facial expressions and Paula's clapping!  I'm wondering if Paula and Jason were guaranteed a certain amount of camera time when they signed their contracts. 
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I really like Jim. Also rooting for Moises Parra. He's from a local studio that we compete against regularly.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Jim tweeted that he is excited to find out what genre he'll be dancing in the first live show, so unless that's a diversion ... he's fine, and we're pumped!
csdancemom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Rooting for Alexia. She is in the same college dance program as DD. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I am not usually a fan of hip hop ut my two favorite girls are JaJa and the girls from Japan.

Jim is an obvious favorite as well as the other ballet dancer and the tapper on the stage side.

I was really disappointed in Denis.  I remember when he won the Canadian competition.  He really had a leg up on all the other contestants due to that experience and to give it up just because his girlfriend didn't make it seemed a little childish.
OurLittleDancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer

PS - the way Paula claps has been driving me crazy since her American Idol days.

Me too!!!  My youngest just said the other night - why does she clap like that?  I assume it's because her nails are so long!?
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I suspect there was a little more to Denis giving it up than his girlfriend not making it through. We never know the whole story on these shows!

I am a little worried about our local gal, Ariana, as she has gotten so little air time. People just don't know her and I am concerned she won't have enough of a fan base to get far. Part of the show's formula is to build up some fan base for favorites early on. She was shown for about a second on the NY audition show. I read on a blog something about her just appearing out of thing air... which is funny because 100s of dancers go through some of this and some are never even seen on air. [smile] 
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
JaJa! Ballet dude! Eye Candy! Tapper girl! Ricky wanna be! Curly! Little guy!

This is how I know them, no idea what their names are yet. Will take me a couple weeks to learn.

PS - the way Paula claps has been driving me crazy since her American Idol days.

DDs and I have been jokingly doing a "Paula clap" for years, and it goes back to the AI days! We also do a "golf clap" sometimes.
Tombe4dance

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
LOVED, LOVED, and still loving team stage top 10.
Nobody in stage got injured..... YAY!
Hurrikane got injured on street and he's been replaced by Asa .
brightblue

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Do you think there are more established pros this year?

I saw some people online grumpy about Kate Harpootlian from Shaping Sound going through to top 20, the thought being that already working with Travis gave her an unfair advantage.

Personally I'm in favor of their doing whatever will up their ratings and keep the show on the air, and Kate is crazy pretty and knows how to work the camera. . Seems to me like more of the dancers are giving a very polished vibe in the interviews I've seen. Maybe it's always been that way though.

Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #19 
There have been lots of top 20 dancers who were in successful professional careers so it's not new to the show. I completely hate the editing of the dancers personality that goes on. Some of the dancers are completely opposite of the way they're portrayed on the show. After meeting some in real life I was not happy that they weren't shown in a positive light.
Michgal

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Was Kate the first one they put through top 20 on team street?
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michgal
Was Kate the first one they put through top 20 on team street?

No she is on the stage team.
dancedancedaaance

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I don't really understand the ins and outs of the new format. How come there are more girls thank boys on team street? will it no longer be boy-girl pairs in the live shows?
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmom
There have been lots of top 20 dancers who were in successful professional careers so it's not new to the show. I completely hate the editing of the dancers personality that goes on. Some of the dancers are completely opposite of the way they're portrayed on the show. After meeting some in real life I was not happy that they weren't shown in a positive light.

I guess that's the "TV" part of "Reality TV," which on many shows outweighs the "Reality" part.

As for Jim Nowakowski, I assure you that he is as likeable in person as he is on TV.  Great young man, hope he goes far!!!!!
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Someone we know made it through to Vegas but not the top 20.  Out of curiosity I looked up the contract for dancers and it is really pretty shocking.  In auditioning for the show you are giving them the right to say anything at all about you, true or not, or portray you in any way they see fit.  You give over a great deal of control over your professional career and reputation when you sign the contract, and have no recourse if you/your career suffer because of the way you are portrayed in the media.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Here's a really interesting, informative blog written by Travis Wall about all of the stage dancers.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/08/so-you-think-you-can-dance-travis-wall-introduces-team-stage-mentor-blog?hootPostID=93a4542cede4dc591fec9d219b3b2a77
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: