Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 10      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerinaPaisley06
and what's with the girl who had millions of followers on social media...if I were the other dancers, I'd be a bit worried about that, considering this is a popularity contest (unless they are changing the format, not sure).

I think that's what bugged me about Avery being on pointe, she is 11 but seemed so much younger.  I'm not saying her pointe work is not good (I don't have a clue about dance), but she seemed so immature in a way.

I can't figure out what's up with her speech.  Maybe she has some dental issues going on?  If not, they should be looking into some speech therapy.  She's 12 now, I think.  And she is very tiny. 

The girl with a million followers  (Sophia) started as a rhythmic gymnast.  She is super flexible and has been a "media sensation" for quite awhile now.  She also went to YAGP Finals in NY.  She was in the jr. level and didn't do as well (as Avery, place wise).  I think she did make the final round, but not even sure about that- she did a pas and I don't know if she did her variations in NY or just the pas.
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I'm not doubting you but... I have 4 children who were once three years old.  And I've worked with countless three year olds for years and years and years.  I can't even imagine what a ballroom class for three year olds would look like.  Where can I see something like this with my own eyes?

And I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

Well, yes, at 3 it was nothing special (3 year olds dancing ballet are also not that impressive). But by 5-6 they were pretty good, and now at 11-12 they are amazing. As I said one boy that I know, who started at the age of 3, is now 12 and will be on the show starting with NY auditions. He is unbelievable! 

I just don't see anything wrong with 10-12 yo ballroom dancers being featured on this show. There are a lot of great young ballroom dancers in the country. 
mdsdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingymnast

What's wrong with young kids doing ballroom? My DD actually started ballroom dance when she was 3. At around 5.5 she quit, because she hated it, and because she wanted to do gymnastics instead. But some of the kids she started with are still dancing and they are amazing.
Of course that couple that was given a second chance was just awful. Even if they did let them do the second dance, they shouldn't have put them through. The second dance was no better than the first one.

Nothing is wrong with it, it's just surprising to me as I rarely see kids that young doing Ballroom, although I don't know much about it at all. I just tend to associate it with an older demo.
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsdmom
Nothing is wrong with it, it's just surprising to me as I rarely see kids that young doing Ballroom, although I don't know much about it at all. I just tend to associate it with an older demo.

Ah, got you. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I have a few friends whose kids are doing ballroom, and I constantly see the videos of their competitions on social media, so I was actually surprised that there were so few ballroom dancers. [smile]
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:

I thought that was ridiculous.  Bad bad bad.

I feel like that was set up by the producers. Otherwise they would've danced their best number first. My guess is the producers taught them a dance that day and made them do it and then encourage them to beg.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
I feel like that was set up by the producers. Otherwise they would've danced their best number first. My guess is the producers taught them a dance that day and made them do it and then encourage them to beg.

I agree that it was definitely set up for the show. Honestly, though I had no issue with it. I don't think it's necessary for kids to always think no means no. Like Nigel said you never know what the answer will be if you don't ask. I would be proud of my own child if she spoke up and asked for a second chance. Most likely the answer would be no but not always. Nothing wrong with fighting for yourself.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
We watched, and we will watch again.  Not following much gossip, we were surprised to see Sophia Lucia as a contestant - my dd thought there should be some rule against people who are already stars being in a talent contest.  And we were both appalled at the ballroom pair who whined their way into a second audition number.  This really bothered me as a teacher.  Students seem to have developed a mindset that they should get extra chances when the efforts they first submit are not judged or graded favorably.  Nope that's not how it works, and I was bothered that the judges rewarded it.  Otherwise, there were some talented dancers, including an 11 year old ballerina who thought danced beautifully.

Sophia was picked as a contestant and signed a contract even before the auditions.   
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #58 
Ballroom is very popular here. Kids start pretty young at 3-4 and partner up by 5-6. And by 8-9 you see all these forum posts "looking for a new partner for an amazing girl/boy that is COMMITTED to dance..." Ballroom is not my cup of tea and I don't think I could handle the constant worry over the partner up and quitting on you, but the kids really are pretty impressive by 11-12.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
and what's with the girl who had millions of followers on social media...if I were the other dancers, I'd be a bit worried about that, considering this is a popularity contest (unless they are changing the format, not sure).

I think that's what bugged me about Avery being on pointe, she is 11 but seemed so much younger.  I'm not saying her pointe work is not good (I don't have a clue about dance), but she seemed so immature in a way.

Avery Gay won 1st place at YAGP NY Finals this year.  She is amazing!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #60 
For whomever thumb's downed me - I'm serious about the speech therapy.  I know both girls - they go to dd's former studio, so if you think I'm being mean, I'm not.  A 12 year old should get some help.  She's probably not going to outgrow it at this point. 

If that's not the reason, what is?? Let's hear it.

AND - I wrote that in response to the comment that she looks so young. She speaks like a much younger kid.  My dd had a friend who had this horrible metal insert thing on the roof of her mouth to correct a bite issue (I think), and it affected her speech, hence the dental question. 

dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Avery Gay won 1st place at YAGP NY Finals this year.  She is amazing!

I thought Avery was Top 12? Kaylee Quinn was 1st...
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #62 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
For whomever thumb's downed me - I'm serious about the speech therapy.  I know both girls - they go to dd's former studio, so if you think I'm being mean, I'm not.  A 12 year old should get some help.  She's probably not going to outgrow it at this point. 

Guarantee you won't get a response.   

You know , because it takes such huge ball$ to thumbs down anonymously.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #63 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves

Guarantee you won't get a response.   

You know , because it takes such huge ball$ to thumbs down anonymously.

And yes, it does take big balls to just thumb's down someone instead of actually writing an intelligent response. 
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #64 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer

http://yagp.org/?page_id=6341

You are correct dancermom128. Avery was not 1st.

That's what I thought and confirmed with YAGP's results page.
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #65 
That thumbs down creates a lot of drama.  I wish the mods. would just remove it.  You know, if you can't say anything nice...
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #66 
We don't have cable but I did watch all the previous seasons, so I was planning on tuning in once it became available online. But the snippet they released on FB with the tall girl from Dance Moms crying over the fact that she is tall and the mom smiling creepily in the background completely turned me off. I stopped watching DM for a reason. And being too tall or too short in dance is a reality that all who pursue this path will have to deal with. It really rubbed me the wrong way when they presented it as a message of "overcoming great obstacles." Being deaf or disabled or from an underprivileged background with no access to instruction is an obstacle. Being a tall daughter of a well to do studio owner is not. 
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
That thumbs down creates a lot of drama.  I wish the mods. would just remove it.  You know, if you can't say anything nice...

I don't mind it ..... It just shouldn't be anonymous IMO.   I have actually wanted to thumbs down before at times when I really disagreed with something someone said, but I never do because I would feel like an idiot.   or I would tell on myself ,  which would probably feel just as idiotic.  

You can be anonymous via your screen name if you choose.  There is no reason to need to be anonymous for that. 

And making it so you can see who hits the thumbs down would probably deter our little friend as it is.  
oatmella

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #68 
I've noticed at least a few of the Dance Mom
kids who have some issues with their speech and seem younger than their age. I wonder if they live such insular lives (almost or entirely focused on dance) that certain things like necessary therapy are ignored? My kids' public school offers speech therapy to those who need it - I'm not sure if it is the norm for schools to provide this service or not. But I'm guessing most of these kids may not be attending a traditional school.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #69 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128

I thought Avery was Top 12? Kaylee Quinn was 1st...

Oops sorry, my DD11 said it was Avery.  I don't remember and I don't think it's posted yet?
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #70 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13

AND - I wrote that in response to the comment that she looks so young. She speaks like a much younger kid.  My dd had a friend who had this horrible metal insert thing on the roof of her mouth to correct a bite issue (I think), and it affected her speech, hence the dental question. 

I didn't thumbs down you and I know you're not trying to be mean but in the end I do have to ask what concern is it of yours?  You don't know that she isn't already getting help and even if she isn't that's her business.

This is not directed at you but I'm struggling lately with people in general thinking that other people's lives are their business....

As far as tiny, some kids just are.  DD last year at 13 was in a size 10/12.  Super tiny.  Everyone thought she was 9 or 10.  She shot up last year (6 inches) and went from looking 10 to looking 20.  DS has a friend who is 10 who looks the size of a kindergartener.  Some kids are just small. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #71 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJIDance
We don't have cable but I did watch all the previous seasons, so I was planning on tuning in once it became available online. But the snippet they released on FB with the tall girl from Dance Moms crying over the fact that she is tall and the mom smiling creepily in the background completely turned me off. I stopped watching DM for a reason. And being too tall or too short in dance is a reality that all who pursue this path will have to deal with. It really rubbed me the wrong way when they presented it as a message of "overcoming great obstacles." Being deaf or disabled or from an underprivileged background with no access to instruction is an obstacle. Being a tall daughter of a well to do studio owner is not. 

Not interested in the show after watching last night. I groaned when I saw Ava and Sophia.

Ava's mom is a former model and dancer, and while they were very sweet working with my daughter on modeling techniques several years ago; AND it was fun, at first, to see Ava on DM, the obvious push for stardom is troubling to me. Also, Ava's height has allowed her to be signed by Wilhelmina talent, no small feat in the world of modeling and entertainment. The tears were quite questionable, IMO, and representative of the manipulation of the show's producers.

I'll take a documentary of life inside a ballet school any day over that junk!

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles

I didn't thumbs down you and I know you're not trying to be mean but in the end I do have to ask what concern is it of yours?  You don't know that she isn't already getting help and even if she isn't that's her business.

This is not directed at you but I'm struggling lately with people in general thinking that other people's lives are their business....

As far as tiny, some kids just are.  DD last year at 13 was in a size 10/12.  Super tiny.  Everyone thought she was 9 or 10.  She shot up last year (6 inches) and went from looking 10 to looking 20.  DS has a friend who is 10 who looks the size of a kindergartener.  Some kids are just small. 

It's not my business.  My dd is friends with Avery and Sophia.  Avery has danced at MBA for a few years now and I'm curious and concerned - that's it.  She's adorable and I love her, but in a couple of years, she may not like the attention she gets from it.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #73 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmella
I've noticed at least a few of the Dance Mom kids who have some issues with their speech and seem younger than their age. I wonder if they live such insular lives (almost or entirely focused on dance) that certain things like necessary therapy are ignored? My kids' public school offers speech therapy to those who need it - I'm not sure if it is the norm for schools to provide this service or not. But I'm guessing most of these kids may not be attending a traditional school.

It's normal and required for them to offer speech to kids who need it.  However, if you're homeschooled you're not going to get it unless you pay.  I suspect this is the case.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #74 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77

It's normal and required for them to offer speech to kids who need it.  However, if you're homeschooled you're not going to get it unless you pay.  I suspect this is the case.

Good point!!!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #75 
IDK  I was a speech/language pathologist for over 15 yrs... and know firsthand the general quality of speech services offered in schools... so my guess is that it's more complicated than that. I didn't watch the show myself but most speech articulation issues that appear to magically resolve with one small group session per week in a group.. a group of kids who don't typically present w/the same issue? Those tend to be developmental in nature... meaning they would more than likely eventually resolve on their own even without those services.  So my guess is that these may be the type of issues that are more complicated.  And if they are more complicated, even with private therapy, they can be a bear to overcome.

That said, I didn't watch the show so I don't know what you all heard.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: