Author   Comment   Page 2 of 10      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Wasnt impressed
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I have watched every season of SYTYCD in it's entirety.  Even when they dropped Mary , after format changes and even with Paula and Jason as "judges".  I still loved the opportunity the show offered in the way of a spring board for young adults interested in breaking in to professional dancing. 

The show makes no sense to me at all with this demographic.  So I will not be tuning in to the pony show.  What will these kids gain from this other than 5 minutes of fame?   How many opportunities are there really for this age group?  

I feel like this particular format steals opportunity from those who have worked hard for YEARS and paid their dues hoping to break in , just to give in to the new "my mini is a phenom ....look at her ...just LOOK at her" trend that has become SOOOOO prevalent.   

I will not tune in for one single second of this. 

Just another way that damn Dance Mom show is ruining dance IMO.  Everybody has gone all "Dance Mom" 

Blech.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer

A built in fan base. Ratings. Millions of young dancers making their parents watch and/or record.

ETA - I think to keep the show on the air they had to so something to increase ratings. This is what they came up with. Crossing my fingers that the show does well and goes back to 18+next season.

All they had to do was stop changing the damn format , bring Mary back , and stick to guest judges that could form a coherent thought based on actual KNOWLEDGE of the art form. 

[biggrin]
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer

I liked some of the guest judges too! Christina Applegate, Jesse Tyler Fergusen, Jenna Elfman were my faves. The were funny! And the ladies had danced growing up. I think JTF is just a Broadway enthusiast.

I enjoyed those 3 as well.  I found Christina to have very good comments for the dancers.  Not just fluff. 
And who doesn't love JTF in any capacity?
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves

I enjoyed those 3 as well.  I found Christina to have very good comments for the dancers.  Not just fluff. 

Hey!  I thought you weren't going to watch? [wink]
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

I didn't!   LOL.   We were talking about guest judges from previous seasons. [smile]
4boysmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

They were not on last night's show, just in previous seasons.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves

Let's go further back ...to the Mia Michaels days.  
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
We watched, and we will watch again.  Not following much gossip, we were surprised to see Sophia Lucia as a contestant - my dd thought there should be some rule against people who are already stars being in a talent contest.  And we were both appalled at the ballroom pair who whined their way into a second audition number.  This really bothered me as a teacher.  Students seem to have developed a mindset that they should get extra chances when the efforts they first submit are not judged or graded favorably.  Nope that's not how it works, and I was bothered that the judges rewarded it.  Otherwise, there were some talented dancers, including an 11 year old ballerina who thought danced beautifully.

I thought that was ridiculous.  Bad bad bad.
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom

and bring back the most amazing choreographer, Wade Robson.  His group numbers were out of this world!!!!!!!!
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #36 
The 11 year old on pointe???? 
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
I've actually never watched SYTYCD ... I DVR'd last night's episode and asked DD if she was interested in watching it with me.  She said yes.  As DD is almost 15, I'll take this as mom/daughter quality time.  Even if the show $ucks ... [biggrin]
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerinaPaisley06
The 11 year old on pointe???? 

If you are talking about Avery, she's been on pointe for at least a year.  She is from dd's former ballet studio.  They start them early, but do NOT put everyone on pointe early and don't hesitate to take girl's off pointe if they aren't strong enough. 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
I watched only to see who was on from dd's  former studio. Had Maddie been on, I would have changed the channel. I'm done now.  And I too, was appalled that they let those two audition again. That will never happen in the "real world" and letting them do it on TV is just putting the idea in little kids' heads that it's ok to whine.  SO NOT OK.  That actually made me sick.  I would like to see some kid do that at an SI audition. OMG...
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #40 
I wasn't overly impressed. 

The pointe dancer was a beautiful dancer but her pointe was awful. 

The two ballroom kids that begged for a second chance were ridiculous.  I don't think they should have been given a second chance at that point.  What does the fact that he lost 50 lbs have to do with what kind of dancers they are.
mdsdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:

When she left was the turning point for me. I started to lose interest but DD and I did watch last night. I wasn't blown away but I did think it was a nice change of pace. I was shocked to see so many young kids doing ballroom.
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13

If you are talking about Avery, she's been on pointe for at least a year.  She is from dd's former ballet studio.  They start them early, but do NOT put everyone on pointe early and don't hesitate to take girl's off pointe if they aren't strong enough. 

It's just not a normal thing for me to see someone that young on pointe.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 
It's not young for a serious ballet kid, my daughter went up at 10.5, she's a ballet kid and had been taking the proper number of classes and had the strength and development.  I think part of the issue was they seemed to try to make her look super young with the way she was interviewed and interacting with her mom and her speech.  So instead of seeing a mature eleven year old you saw a tiny kid that looked like she was nine.  I think there was something with the choreography, either it was bad or she was just very under-rehearsed.  Avery is one of the YAGP finalists and that wouldn't have happened if she wasn't strong on pointe, but that piece was terrible.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #44 
That girl won mini female best dancer at The Dance Awards Vegas last year. (ETA: she also made top 12, pre-competitive at YAGP) She is talented and beautiful… and has been on TV a few times this spring.

My DD14 said "she looks like she is doing her competition contemporary number... in pointe shoes to impress people"

My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:

Agreed.
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #46 
and what's with the girl who had millions of followers on social media...if I were the other dancers, I'd be a bit worried about that, considering this is a popularity contest (unless they are changing the format, not sure).

I think that's what bugged me about Avery being on pointe, she is 11 but seemed so much younger.  I'm not saying her pointe work is not good (I don't have a clue about dance), but she seemed so immature in a way.
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsdmom
When she left was the turning point for me. I started to lose interest but DD and I did watch last night. I wasn't blown away but I did think it was a nice change of pace. I was shocked to see so many young kids doing ballroom.

What's wrong with young kids doing ballroom? My DD actually started ballroom dance when she was 3. At around 5.5 she quit, because she hated it, and because she wanted to do gymnastics instead. But some of the kids she started with are still dancing and they are amazing.
Of course that couple that was given a second chance was just awful. Even if they did let them do the second dance, they shouldn't have put them through. The second dance was no better than the first one.
mic123

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
And I too, was appalled that they let those two audition again. That will never happen in the "real world" and letting them do it on TV is just putting the idea in little kids' heads that it's ok to whine.  SO NOT OK.  That actually made me sick.  I would like to see some kid do that at an SI audition. OMG...

Agreed.  That happened at a competition we went to this year.  The girl was a good dancer, but towards the end she ran off stage upset (either forgot her choreography or didn't think she danced as well as she could have?).  Several numbers later she got to do it again.  She then placed quite high.
I have never seen that happen before.  It really irritated me.  I say you go up there and do your best and if your best isn't good enough, better luck next time and you will learn from that experience.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingymnast

What's wrong with young kids doing ballroom? My DD actually started ballroom dance when she was 3. At around 5.5 she quit, because she hated it, and because she wanted to do gymnastics instead. But some of the kids she started with are still dancing and they are amazing.
Of course that couple that was given a second chance was just awful. Even if they did let them do the second dance, they shouldn't have put them through. The second dance was no better than the first one.

I'm not doubting you but... I have 4 children who were once three years old.  And I've worked with countless three year olds over many years.  I can't even imagine what a ballroom class for three year olds would look like.  Where can I see something like this with my own eyes?

And I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerinaPaisley06
and what's with the girl who had millions of followers on social media...if I were the other dancers, I'd be a bit worried about that, considering this is a popularity contest (unless they are changing the format, not sure).

I think that's what bugged me about Avery being on pointe, she is 11 but seemed so much younger.  I'm not saying her pointe work is not good (I don't have a clue about dance), but she seemed so immature in a way.

I can't figure out what's up with her speech.  Maybe she has some dental issues going on?  If not, they should be looking into some speech therapy.  She's 12 now, I think.  And she is very tiny. 

The girl with a million followers  (Sophia) started as a rhythmic gymnast.  She is super flexible and has been a "media sensation" for quite awhile now.  She also went to YAGP Finals in NY.  She was in the jr. level and didn't do as well (as Avery, place wise).  I think she did make the final round, but not even sure about that- she did a pas and I don't know if she did her variations in NY or just the pas.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.