Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 6 of 10     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next   »
judie

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,157
Reply with quote  #126 
Hopefully go to college.

Still not watching.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,190
Reply with quote  #127 
So did any of you watch last night?  The one ballerina,  Tia, auditioned with DD11.  DD11 made it to second round with her but got cut after that.  Tia was definitely better at the audition and did a great improv.  However, I was not impressed with her performance of Kitri at all last night.   
0
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 31
Reply with quote  #128 
What annoys me the most is that out of 3 judges Nigel is the one making all decisions. Like last week with that ballroom couple, both Jason and Paula said yes to the girl and no to the boy, but then Nigel said yes to both, and suddenly the other two changed their minds. Last night the cute little girl, both Jason and Paula said how much they liked her, but then Nigel said no, and it was a no from all 3. Really? Why can't they make their own decisions? I thought the girl was pretty good, definitely better than the ballroom couple.
0
JustAnotherDanceMom7

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 95
Reply with quote  #129 
Yeah, I was left scratching my head last night about some of the gushing and standing o's.  Like really?  I don't know.  It seems awfully scripted to me.  And no doubt some of these kids are amazing.  But, I definitely prefer the old format much, much better and also long for the days of Mia and Mandy.  Maybe it'll get better, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll keep watching with DD though - lol. 
0
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 154
Reply with quote  #130 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmella
Avery's mom came across as kind of crazy. I think she may be living a little too vicariously through her daughter!


I thought the same thing Oatmella.  I even thought throwing in the "alter-ego" had nothing to do with anything.  JMO.
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,092
Reply with quote  #131 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerinaPaisley06


I thought the same thing Oatmella.  I even thought throwing in the "alter-ego" had nothing to do with anything.  JMO.


I think mentioning the alter ego was just a ploy to get the public to remember her.
0
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 155
Reply with quote  #132 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
So did any of you watch last night?  The one ballerina,  Tia, auditioned with DD11.  DD11 made it to second round with her but got cut after that.  Tia was definitely better at the audition and did a great improv.  However, I was not impressed with her performance of Kitri at all last night.   


Her performance felt very rushed, absolutely no artistry just doing the requisite steps (IMO). She even forgot to point her feet for half of it - that turn sequence at the end was difficult to watch. I'm sure she is a lovely dancer, you can tell she is strong and flexible, but it really must have been an off day for her. 


0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,190
Reply with quote  #133 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasDeChatMom


Her performance felt very rushed, absolutely no artistry just doing the requisite steps (IMO). She even forgot to point her feet for half of it - that turn sequence at the end was difficult to watch. I'm sure she is a lovely dancer, you can tell she is strong and flexible, but it really must have been an off day for her. 




The ballet dancer from Master Ballet Academy last week, Avery, I thought was much better.  I agree with you that it was really hard to watch that end turn sequence.
0
Btfdmom

Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 18
Reply with quote  #134 
The poor child who barfed all over Paula! That will be forever recorded for her!
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,190
Reply with quote  #135 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btfdmom
The poor child who barfed all over Paula! That will be forever recorded for her!


I love how she said the happiness just came out of her LOL!
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,092
Reply with quote  #136 
I found this week was a lot of dancer that just did tricks.
0
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,333
Reply with quote  #137 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmella
The expanders do affect speech - I know lots of kids that have them - but as far as I know they don't make your voice any higher or more baby-like. I remember when Sophia Lucia was first on dance moms, people were commenting that she had an unusually high and squeaky voice. I do kind of wonder if any of this is intentional to seem younger and cuter ...


DD13 had an expander and it did not make her voice any different, she just had to learn to talk with it. 

DD11 on the other hand has a deciated septum as well as large filters (cant remember the term) in her nose, and her voice is higher and younger,   They will fix it when she is 15
0
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,333
Reply with quote  #138 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danceter



Also: most of use have seen dancers with struggle while they go through growth spurts. Imagine your kid going through such a ridiculously large one. Must have been pretty difficult for her at times. And guys. She's 13. I distinctly remember crying over a Dawn dish detergent soap commercial when I was 13. It involved an oil spill and baby ducks. Ava even seemed to understand that the crying was a bit absurd. Cut her a break. 


DD11 has gone from 4'9 to 5'3 in just a little over a year.   Its been a difficult time in 5th grade being so tall and she is taller then most of her dance classmates who are a year older or more, but  she doesn't cry about it, she is just trying to find her center and get her flexibility back. But she she isnt on TV so that probably helps. 

She will be one of the dancers who is 5'10 or so
0
ChelleB70

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 726
Reply with quote  #139 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerinaPaisley06
The 11 year old on pointe???? 


I thought that was a little young too but she was adorable.  "Where's your dad?"  "He's at work...dance is expensive, you know?" [rofl]
0
ChelleB70

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 726
Reply with quote  #140 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
IDK  I was a speech/language pathologist for over 15 yrs... and know firsthand the general quality of speech services offered in schools... so my guess is that it's more complicated than that. I didn't watch the show myself but most speech articulation issues that appear to magically resolve with one small group session per week in a group.. a group of kids who don't typically present w/the same issue? Those tend to be developmental in nature... meaning they would more than likely eventually resolve on their own even without those services.  So my guess is that these may be the type of issues that are more complicated.  And if they are more complicated, even with private therapy, they can be a bear to overcome.

That said, I didn't watch the show so I don't know what you all heard.


Getting a bit OT but would love to hear a SP's take on this.  It's not just the dance kids on tv.  I hear so many of my kid's classmates with speech issues who are in middle and high school.  A lot more than when I grew up.  My non-professional self wonders if all the extremely early orthodontia work has something to do with it.  Although 2 of my nephews have/had speech issues but no orthodontia yet.  1 was offered therapy, the other one (who was harder to understand) was not.  The former has gotten much better, the latter only marginally and they go to the same schools.
0
ChelleB70

Avatar / Picture

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 726
Reply with quote  #141 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance_Angels
A local girl won Project Runway Jr!!!! Now we have a local girl who made the 1st round on SYTYCD! Cute as a button, we have seen her at local competitions! So we will be watching!


My dd LOVED Peytie and her style.  She wishes she could buy her clothing.  My dd is not a crier but she got teary eyed when she won!
0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 5,704
Reply with quote  #142 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleB70


Getting a bit OT but would love to hear a SP's take on this.  It's not just the dance kids on tv.  I hear so many of my kid's classmates with speech issues who are in middle and high school.  A lot more than when I grew up.  My non-professional self wonders if all the extremely early orthodontia work has something to do with it.  Although 2 of my nephews have/had speech issues but no orthodontia yet.  1 was offered therapy, the other one (who was harder to understand) was not.  The former has gotten much better, the latter only marginally and they go to the same schools.


Unless they have some sort of appliance in their mouth that's interfering w/their ability to make sounds properly there should be no correlation. Truth is, the great majority of what people think are speech "problems" in younger kids are developmental in nature... meaning they will grow out of them.  Two of my own kids had a a boatload of developmental errors... one so much so that people who didn't know him had a lot of trouble understanding him until he was four.  But because I was an SLP myself I knew what was what.  And I let them grow out of them without any help from me or anyone else.  But the ones that aren't developmental can be very difficult to treat... especially in a school setting.  My guess is that the kids you're seeing have never had the benefit of quality services.  Longer individual session with a strict home program.  You simply can't fix a more complex issue in a 30 minute group session one time a week.  It's not necessarily the SLP's fault. It's just that they often have waaaay too many kids on their caseload.  And rarely have the type of home support that is necessary for success.

0
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,328
Reply with quote  #143 
Random thought..."if the kids are starting to vomit on judges, maybe I should start watching."
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,092
Reply with quote  #144 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Random thought..."if the kids are starting to vomit on judges, maybe I should start watching."


That was kind of funny and the way the little girl handled it was priceless.
0
meatball77

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,519
Reply with quote  #145 
I think a lot of these kids get major encouragement for acting cute and young (jojo's bows . . . . ) and are therefore encouraged to keep those speech issues.

I teach elementary school and while there are always a few kinders that I can't understand I don't think that I have any kids older than third grade with noticeable speech issues like that (aside from mumbling/speaking very quietly or ones that are related to their ESL status) certainly no kids who talk like they're four when they're eleven.  But that's not encouraged at school, it is encouraged in this type of child performer environment.  Avery acted like she was nine in the interview so it made her dancing look more impressive. 
0
dmjrm4

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 194
Reply with quote  #146 
Why in the world would the producers SHOW the girl throwing up - two times!  I was appalled that they showed it in such detail.  Gross.  Loved the second episode though, better than the first.  Can't wait for the New York auditions with Tate McRae!!!!!!!!!  Our favorite dancer!
0
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,927
Reply with quote  #147 
I see that Lennox Hopkins will be at the NY auditions too.

ETA, I thought the vomiting part, while gross, was funny, especially how the little girl described it. All her happiness came out!
0
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,526
Reply with quote  #148 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
I think a lot of these kids get major encouragement for acting cute and young (jojo's bows . . . . ) and are therefore encouraged to keep those speech issues.

I teach elementary school and while there are always a few kinders that I can't understand I don't think that I have any kids older than third grade with noticeable speech issues like that (aside from mumbling/speaking very quietly or ones that are related to their ESL status) certainly no kids who talk like they're four when they're eleven.  But that's not encouraged at school, it is encouraged in this type of child performer environment.  Avery acted like she was nine in the interview so it made her dancing look more impressive. 


This whole phenomenon of kids acting younger than they are for attention in the competition dance world really disgusts me more and more. I know about a half dozen 10-12 year olds who have embraced this "child like" persona/character in real life and it all stems from dance and them being petite. Some of them can sometimes be caught "breaking character" when fighting w/ her mom in a corner, but then go back toacting like a 6 year old for the crowd (which is really just parents and kids sitting in the waiting room). As if their entire public life is one big stage act and you can tell the messed up crazy stage moms are in on it cause it gets their kid attention.

People aren't supposed to be kids forever - can we please stop this before all these girls end up needing major therapy when they are 20 to deal w/ the harsh reality that they aren't kids anymore?
0
oatmella

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 68
Reply with quote  #149 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmommy71


This whole phenomenon of kids acting younger than they are for attention in the competition dance world really disgusts me more and more. I know about a half dozen 10-12 year olds who have embraced this "child like" persona/character in real life and it all stems from dance and them being petite. Some of them can sometimes be caught "breaking character" when fighting w/ her mom in a corner, but then go back toacting like a 6 year old for the crowd (which is really just parents and kids sitting in the waiting room). As if their entire public life is one big stage act and you can tell the messed up crazy stage moms are in on it cause it gets their kid attention.

People aren't supposed to be kids forever - can we please stop this before all these girls end up needing major therapy when they are 20 to deal w/ the harsh reality that they aren't kids anymore?


I find this kind of disturbing as well. I wonder if some of these kids are so sheltered that they don't know abnormal this is - they don't have a normal peer group to relate to. Eventually they will have growth spurts (remember how tiny Sophia Lucia used to be on dance moms?) and grow up - and they won't be the cute little prodigy anymore. It's quite sad that there are crazy stage parents out there encouraging this - I guess some of these would be the parents who want their kids to be social media stars and manage their kids Instagram accounts ...
0
ButterX3

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 99
Reply with quote  #150 
When DD was pre school age she would say her R's & L's as if they were W's. When I asked the pediatritian about it, he said it was something she would outgrow. When DD hit kindergarten her kindergarten teached addressed it, and she did speech therapy in the summer between kindergarten and 1st grade. It was provided for free thru our public school system. Thats all it took. So I tend to agree that some kids outgrow it. But when you get to be JoJo's age, maybe it's more than just a developemental delay.

I watched the first episode with Ava, I have a hard time stomaching her mother. I think because when I see her, I immediatly think of Kate Gosselin. I think it was her older brother that was with her. She looks like she has grown a foot since I saw her on anything last. Anyways, DD and I watched the first one and decided that was enough. We predicted a lot of tears, and there were a lot of tears. I thought it may be a fun thing for DD and I to watch. But it's just not that good. When they bring back the old format, we will watch again. I wish they would have just done a spin off show. Like look how many Law & Order's there are, or NCIS's, so why can't there be 2 SYTYCD?


0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: