Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 10      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next   »
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #76 
I also had a negative response to Ava crying over her height.  My dd is on her way to 5'10 or taller.  And as a result she has been placed in different dances than some of her friends.  And that's just the way it is.  It certainly is not a horrible sob story.  Most people would love to be tall and thin.  
Danceter

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #77 
I feel pretty "meh" about the show. I worry about kids being put in such a high pressure situation for really no reason at all. Even if they think they want it. Thirteen and under is awfully young. I don't see why this any different than say... Master Chief Junior though. I do wish they would have done this a companion to the normal SYTYCD. Maybe as a sort of mini season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJIDance
We don't have cable but I did watch all the previous seasons, so I was planning on tuning in once it became available online. But the snippet they released on FB with the tall girl from Dance Moms crying over the fact that she is tall and the mom smiling creepily in the background completely turned me off. I stopped watching DM for a reason. And being too tall or too short in dance is a reality that all who pursue this path will have to deal with. It really rubbed me the wrong way when they presented it as a message of "overcoming great obstacles." Being deaf or disabled or from an underprivileged background with no access to instruction is an obstacle. Being a tall daughter of a well to do studio owner is not. 

Dunno what they posted on facebook, but I don't think Ava was upset about being tall. She was talking about how she was being bullied online about being tall, and having an eating disorder. I have witnessed fully grown adults on this forum insist that Ava has an eating disorder. Being 13 sucks. It's emotional. I understand why she finds these accusations upsetting. 

Also: most of use have seen dancers with struggle while they go through growth spurts. Imagine your kid going through such a ridiculously large one. Must have been pretty difficult for her at times. And guys. She's 13. I distinctly remember crying over a Dawn dish detergent soap commercial when I was 13. It involved an oil spill and baby ducks. Ava even seemed to understand that the crying was a bit absurd. Cut her a break. 
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #78 
I think Ava was largely referring to her time on Dance Moms and the treatment Abby gave her for being tall and lean. 

While I think Abby's behavior and comments were appalling regarding Ava's physical stature, she (Ava) and her mother kept going back for more on air time.  If it were really that traumatic for her, why on earth did they show up again and again on Dance Moms when they were already privy to how they would treated and portrayed? 

That quest for fame and fortune sure is fierce in some...Some will do almost anything I think.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #79 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
I think Ava was largely referring to her time on Dance Moms and the treatment Abby gave her for being tall and lean. 

While I think Abby's behavior and comments were appalling regarding Ava's physical stature, she (Ava) and her mother kept going back for more on air time.  If it were really that traumatic for her, why on earth did they show up again and again on Dance Moms when they were already privy to how they would treated and portrayed? 

That quest for fame and fortune sure is fierce in some...Some will do almost anything I think.

Amen!!

If the whole situation is so upsetting, stop coming back for more.
nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #80 
I don't care for the new format, I am just hoping it keeps the show on long enough to bring it back to the adults.

As far as Ava- I did take it she was more upset about the weight issue that came along with her being so tall and people on social media saying she has an eating disorder.  That being said, I think if you constantly put yourself in the spotlight like her mother does with her, she opens herself up to constant scrutiny.  Right or wrong, it comes with the territory, ask any "celebrity".

As far as Avery's speech issue, I did also wonder if she had some sort of orthodontic appliance that caused it. I have a little guy who is 11 and who used to sound like he had a heavy New York accent.  By 11, he has already been through a few years of speech therapy at school.  I would hope that it wasn't just a rouse to make her sound younger, not that I wish a speech impediment on a kid lol!

The ballroom kids...well I have to say that I didn't like the girl asking again, but either way, I didn't care for the dancing and didn't understand why they went through.

Not a big fan of the parents sitting there on the side of the stage with the kids.  That's weird. The majority of these kids do not need their parents up there with them because they've been competing/dancing for years, so it just looks silly to me and makes me think they are trying too much to be a like a dancemom kind of show. 

kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #81 
DD15 watched last night.  Loved the first hip hop boy ("he's 10??"), loved the second hip hop boy (the one whose dad passed away - "he's so musical!"). For Avery, all she said was, "she's falling back on her boxes - why didn't she just do this piece as contemporary?".  For Ava she screwed up her face and said, "that was TOTALLY staged".  For Sophia's little snippet about wanting to "be" famous, DD said, "she already has over a million followers.  How famous does she want to be?"  For the ballroom couple she just shook her head and said, "that was really stupid of Nigel. Dumb, dumb, dumb."  And for the tapper, a genre near and dear to DD's heart, "holy cow!"

Will she watch again, I asked?  "Maybe".  

On a personal note, I was CREEPED OUT by the look on Ava's parents' faces.  The mother in particular was almost applauding the tears and urging her on.  If my daughter was up there bawling her eyes out on national television for being bullied the very last thing I'd be doing is smiling.  Creepy to the max.  Shudder. 
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #82 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom

On a personal note, I was CREEPED OUT by the look on Ava's parents' faces.  The mother in particular was almost applauding the tears and urging her on.  If my daughter was up there bawling her eyes out on national television for being bullied the very last thing I'd be doing is smiling.  Creepy to the max.  Shudder. 

Wait, that was Ava's dad???  I thought it was the mom and a brother.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #83 
I do not like the parents on the side of the stage either but it leaves me wondering if their won't be an element of DM in this show and if it has anything to do with who will get chosen.

I missed the first 15 min or so but watch Avery's on YouTube. She is adorable and full of energy. I don't know enough about pointe to critique her. I didn't care for her mom, seemed a bit over the top stage mom for me.

I thought the little blonde ballroom couple were cute (Lev?). Their interactions during interview were sweet and funny. Idk, I just find ballroom so weird with young kids since so much is about chemistry/connection and kids don't understand that (not that they should at those young ages). I just always find it a bit awkward but that's just my opinion. As for teen other ballroom come that cried and begged for another chance...did not care for that. Hope they give a 2nd chance to everyone then.

Missed the hip hop kids. Will have to go back and watch. The tapper girl was good but dd said they were simple steps and lots of repetition just done fast to look impressive (which seems to be the trend at comps these days). Hope to see tappers at the other cities too.

Idk, not loving it so far. I am interested to see how the actual competition part goes and havev2 dd's that want to watch so we will watch.

Did they say what the prize is for the winner?
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #84 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
I feel like that was set up by the producers. Otherwise they would've danced their best number first. My guess is the producers taught them a dance that day and made them do it and then encourage them to beg.

It was obviously set up by the producers. How else would they have the music for the second chance number all cued and ready to go. Give me a break. That was bad.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #85 
Not liking that so much of this seems staged.  The ballroom couple - the way the girl asked the question made it seem like it was rehearsed.  The whole Ava thing also look staged.  I think I already said that I had heard that Sophia Lucia was offered a contract for the stage weeks before they even did auditions and she never had to audition.  Not liking that. . .
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #86 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowmomto3
I don't care for the new format, I am just hoping it keeps the show on long enough to bring it back to the adults.

As far as Avery's speech issue, I did also wonder if she had some sort of orthodontic appliance that caused it. I have a little guy who is 11 and who used to sound like he had a heavy New York accent.  By 11, he has already been through a few years of speech therapy at school.  I would hope that it wasn't just a rouse to make her sound younger, not that I wish a speech impediment on a kid lol!

It's not - that's really her and she is a very sweet kid.  And that's why I asked the question. I was hoping someone on the board would know. I personally haven't talked to her since she was 8 or 9 and she talked the same way then and I figured she would grow out of it. My own dd couldn't say "r"s until she was 9. 
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #87 
I thought the parent thing was weird. The ballroom kids talking about weight loss made me squirm.

I am pretty sure Sophia was never a rhythmic gymnast, she has had coaching in stretching at a rhythmic gym but she didn't compete with apparatus. I could be wrong, but I believe you are thinking of Kaylee Quinn, she was for a short time.

We watched, I was surprised they showed the people who did t make it like on the adult show, it felt exploitive since they are kids. Mean. I was sure they wouldn't, but DD said of course they would- and they did.

I'm not really into it, but if DD wants to watch I will. I'm curious how they will do the dance assignments with kids.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #88 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancypants
I thought the parent thing was weird. The ballroom kids talking about weight loss made me squirm. I am pretty sure Sophia was never a rhythmic gymnast, she has had coaching in stretching at a rhythmic gym but she didn't compete with apparatus. I could be wrong, but I believe you are thinking of Kaylee Quinn, she was for a short time. We watched, I was surprised they showed the people who did t make it like on the adult show, it felt exploitive since they are kids. Mean. I was sure they wouldn't, but DD said of course they would- and they did. I'm not really into it, but if DD wants to watch I will. I'm curious how they will do the dance assignments with kids.

Apparently once they get through "hell week" they are going to bring in 10 all stars and each all star will pick a child they want to partner with.  I know ballroom dancer Jenna is one of the all stars but haven't seen anyone else yet.  Hoping all the all stars aren't contemporary dancers.
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #89 
I haven't watched the show yet, but I have to say that life is indeed very tough for 5'10" dancers. My daughter has missed many opportunities because of height; something no one has any control over. I am grateful that she wasn't as tall at 13, or things might have been even more difficult.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #90 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzy
I haven't watched the show yet, but I have to say that life is indeed very tough for 5'10" dancers. My daughter has missed many opportunities because of height; something no one has any control over. I am grateful that she wasn't as tall at 13, or things might have been even more difficult.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm about to say but there are all kinds of different disadvantages for dancers that are genetic - and a lot of them would actually stop a dancer from going very far at all (I'm thinking flexibility, poor feet etc.).  My DD is very curvy and has been since she was 11.  She rather dramatically stands out for that reason and there's not a thing she can do about it, especially as she stands there beside the more traditionally shaped dancer.  

Unfortunately, dance has a "look".  Tall, short, curvy, pale, freckled, bowlegged, pidgin-toed, well-endowed .... it's all against that perceived norm.  If I have any wish coming out of this dance crazed period we're in it's that we can help to shift that viewpoint toward something more inclusive while not losing the visual beauty of dance.
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #91 
I just watched Ava's audition in YouTube. I like her attitude and she seems very sweet and mature for 13. I expect she will build more muscle as she gets older, and then she won't appear quite as tall as she does now.
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #92 
Kmpmom, it's true that all dancers face challenges. My daughter was very lucky to have a lot of traits that are appreciated in the dance world. She has also been scouted as a model many times. Not complaining at all. However, most things can be changed somewhat (feet, flexibility, colouring, body shape to some degree). Height cannot.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #93 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzy

DD17 is now 6 foot tall.  It has not been "tough" to be tall.  There are things that her tiny teammates can't do that she can.  But there are some parts she would liked to have auditioned for but she was too tall.  Mainly that was because the costume she would have to fill would not have fit.  And we had to kiss the Rockette's dream good bye too.  But that is life.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #94 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42

DD17 is now 6 foot tall.  It has not been "tough" to be tall.  There are things that her tiny teammates can't do that she can.  But there are some parts she would liked to have auditioned for but she was too tall.  Mainly that was because the costume she would have to fill would not have fit.  And we had to kiss the Rockette's dream good bye too.  But that is life.

DD16 has been over 5'9 for the last 2 years.  I wouldn't say it has been "tough" to be tall, but it has it's downside.  Aside from the fact that she looks like the Jolly Brown Giant next to just about any other dancer at the studio.  It has been said that sometimes her height (in relation to the other dancers) just doesn't work choreographically in some instances.   She is also pretty well endowed.  She is definitely thin but is also very muscular (which does not help her to look less tall by the way)

I am hard pressed to think of anything her height allows her to do that her shorter team mates can't.
Oh wait ..... yes of course ......she can be a human prop and lift and carry the other dancers around. 
Tough?  No ...... but it's not ideal sometimes.  

That being said ......if these kids are all coming on SYTYCD and whining about how they  are short , or tall , or blind , hungry or bullied ....Then I definitely made the right choice in deciding to boycott this season. 

kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #95 
If the implication is that "curvy" can be changed, why didn't someone tell me this 20 years ago?  [biggrin]
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #96 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmella
The expanders do affect speech - I know lots of kids that have them - but as far as I know they don't make your voice any higher or more baby-like. I remember when Sophia Lucia was first on dance moms, people were commenting that she had an unusually high and squeaky voice. I do kind of wonder if any of this is intentional to seem younger and cuter ...

My dd14 (for those who are counting she's technically 13 but turns 14 in 2 weeks so really she's 14) is tiny but has a very low voice - she's a tenor in choir.  She gets picked on because her voice is low and "she sounds like a boy".  I guess you just can't win unless you are middle of the road.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #97 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42

Yup my dd will never be a model (even though she has the face and body) or a Rockette (even though she can dance) because she's likely to be 5'4" or 5'5". 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #98 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancypants
I thought the parent thing was weird. The ballroom kids talking about weight loss made me squirm. I am pretty sure Sophia was never a rhythmic gymnast, she has had coaching in stretching at a rhythmic gym but she didn't compete with apparatus. I could be wrong, but I believe you are thinking of Kaylee Quinn, she was for a short time. We watched, I was surprised they showed the people who did t make it like on the adult show, it felt exploitive since they are kids. Mean. I was sure they wouldn't, but DD said of course they would- and they did. I'm not really into it, but if DD wants to watch I will. I'm curious how they will do the dance assignments with kids.

I don't really think Sophia would lie to my dd.  She told her she started out as a rhythmic gymnast...just passing on what she told dd directly.  Choose to believe her or not.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #99 
[image]

Thumbs downer - you are still a chicken sh*t who obviously can't write an intelligent response.  Why are you even on this board? 
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #100 
I watched a couple of videos today (home sick) and I was wondering how many hours dancers like Avery G. and Sophia train? Have they just been lucky to avoid injury when training as much or more than adult pro dancers? They really are amazing.

Ballerinamom13, I know a couple of professional dancers who started out in RG. If I had to do it again, I might go that route for my daughter.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: