Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
That's awesome @meatball77! We loved him at Rock. Really nice guy.
Kitzka

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Loving the Live show. My daughter is 19 and this is the year where she has danced with so many in the show. It's a little surreal for her to see friends and or folks from intensives on tv. We stopped watching when the younger kids were on. I'm glad we are back to young adults.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Loved the dances!!
But anyone else get the feel like it's a bit bachelor/bachelorette?
I fast forwarded it a bunch.
My favourite was the one Alison Holker was supposed to be in, and the one with Robert.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
It's great to be into the meat of the show and know who will be competing but I can't help but think this is the "All Star" competition and they are choosing their sidekicks.  In other words, it feels as though this is an All Star showcase and not a way to promote new talent.  Several of the dances last night highlighted the pro, not the contestant (I'm looking at YOU Jenna).  

And the bowing down to the choreographers for every single routine is now diluting the kind of maybe-once-a-show praise that used to really mean something.

Love Robert but how does he get Travis time and again?  

DD and I gauge our reactions based on who we watched in the dance - the pro, or the contestant.  If it's the former, then it was either poorly choreographed, or the contestant isn't strong enough to carry or share the routine with the pro.  And that should tell the voters something.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
I can't even begin with the fact that Zachary is gone. Ugh

I do agree it feels more about highlighting the all stars. DD and I noted that if she ever wanted to go on a show like this she'd better choose a team with someone taller than her and probably opposite sex as it seemed they were pairing off predictably into traditional male/ female duos.

The choice to show the all stars talking about how hard their choice was then cutting to a live reveal felt so very disrespectful to the dancer not chosen. Like, poof, gone, moving on. I don't know. Just didn't care for that.

That whole bit was just dumb IMO. I don't want to waste any time watching dancers pretend to be actors trying to create suspense. Show more dance with that time.

I think that the person who dressed Kaylee (is that her name with the blue hair) like that should be out of a job. Not a slam on the dancer, slam on the person who chose that costume. Awful.

I know everyone gushed over Robert's routine, but I saw bobbles in their partnering. Enough so that all the blind praise read as insincere to me.

I really didn't like the closing routine either. I did not think it was brilliant or breathtaking or amazing. It was good.

Lastly, I hate how much we all know before the show airs. People knew about casting and tours and commitments that contestants had that essentially meant there was no way they were going to be able to participate in the live show. Takes a lot of the fun out of it for me.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I haven't watched yet but looked up the top 10 to see if the ones we were rooting for made it through. Was very surprised Zachary was not in the top 10. I thought he might be left stranding in the final 2 or 3. There are still 2 that DD has danced with left (both at SIs), so that is exciting for us to see. Hoping they don't continue to stick Lex with tap. He is one of a few who probably tap well enough to appear in screen, but none of them are tappers. It's not like they have them perform ballet without a good ballet background. I think tap is similar in that being in that it requires more training than you can get in a week.
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
Loved the blue haired girl from last night!

She is local to our area.  Many of our dancers have worked with her outside of our studio and we've seen her at many of the conventions we go to.  I too love watching her.
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitzka
Loving the Live show. My daughter is 19 and this is the year where she has danced with so many in the show. It's a little surreal for her to see friends and or folks from intensives on tv. We stopped watching when the younger kids were on. I'm glad we are back to young adults.

My DS is 18. He was laughing because for Stacey's and Travis's dances, he learned combos from both of those exact dances at intensives this past year.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
birdmom... yes, I believe I am getting ever so slightly less wet behind the ears as a dance mom, starting to see the "game" and how it's played. It's interesting for sure. I have to admit it was a lot more magical when I didn't know more about stuff like this.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmom

My DS is 18. He was laughing because for Stacey's and Travis's dances, he learned combos from both of those exact dances at intensives this past year.

This is pretty common I've found over the years. Travis often has taken stuff from SYTCD and used it for combos (Send in the Clowns from last year was out of his show The Hollow Suit, it was also a solo for one of the best dancers, and my DD learned it this year at NUVO). My DD has done Stacey's as well from the show although she said the duo from the other night actually had very little from the combo in it. As far as Travis' solo, not sure that was from a combo. He did play that song at The Dance Awards Orlando in the senior room but didn't use it in a combo.
Not really sure how any of this matters though. It's common practice and I don't think it would necessarily give anyone an advantage.
birdmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128

This is pretty common I've found over the years. Travis often has taken stuff from SYTCD and used it for combos (Send in the Clowns from last year was out of his show The Hollow Suit, it was also a solo for one of the best dancers, and my DD learned it this year at NUVO). My DD has done Stacey's as well from the show although she said the duo from the other night actually had very little from the combo in it. As far as Travis' solo, not sure that was from a combo. He did play that song at The Dance Awards Orlando in the senior room but didn't use it in a combo.
Not really sure how any of this matters though. It's common practice and I don't think it would necessarily give anyone an advantage.

He didn't say that it really matters or gives anyone an advantage. He just thought it was funny that he learned parts of the dances.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: