Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Speaking of Paula Abdul...does anyone know why CO dance convention (the one she founded) died?  I thought there would be something about why it abruptly ended back in 2014 but I never saw anything about it.
fdmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #52 
It's official - SYTYCD is renewed, but going with the kids.....  Saddened by this. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fox-renews-you-think-you-861024
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdmom
It's official - SYTYCD is renewed, but going with the kids.....  Saddened by this. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fox-renews-you-think-you-861024

Ok, I won't be watching...

I don't like the "junior" aspect in the "new" format.  It seems like they are pursuing the "Dance Moms" audience and I don't like that turn in the show. 

I also cannot handle another year of Paula and especially cannot watch Jason Derulo again!  It will be the first year that I will sit this show out! 

Sadly, I am done...
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #54 
I saw it on Twitter. DD wants to auditon but we have conflicts with the audition weekends. I might send a video through their link, but it sounds like even with a video submission you still have to go to a city to audition and none of those cities are anywhere near us! I was hoping for ATL.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Boo.   I just lost one of my favorite shows.  This is a horrible idea. 
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
And of course, Nigel will still be judging - eye roll. Him judging preteen girls sounds like the creepiest thing possible - his gushing over the 18 year old blondes was bad enough, now we're gonna have him judge little girls. Gross!
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #57 
I am also disappointed-I loved watching SYTYCD the way it was, and I think the introduction of street vs stage was a great way to "even the playing field" by recognizing dancer's strengths. Also, my kids are both submitting videos! The audition week in Chicago (by far the closest) conflicts with a comp weekend, but one step at a time...
musicmom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Speaking of Paula Abdul...does anyone know why CO dance convention (the one she founded) died?  I thought there would be something about why it abruptly ended back in 2014 but I never saw anything about it.

Never heard any explanation. Studios already planned to go. Although in my area it had been struggling for a while. They were giving out scholarships to a wide variety of abilities. We think it was a late effort to build some more loyalty.
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Here are the audition details:

http://sytycdauditions.com/
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #60 
Interesting read...

https://tvline.com/2016/02/01/sytycd-next-generation-tweens-jason-derulo-season-13-renewed/

emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #61 

Absolutely love this article (and most of the comments)!  Exactly my thoughts...Horrible idea! 

What are they thinking?

As I said above in a post...sadly, I am done!
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #62 
Great read. Thank you for posting. And I completely agree. I just can't wrap my head around the all star pairings with 8 year old. I think that's my biggest stumbling block. If they keep it kiddy, it will be boring and a waste of the all star talent. If they go to the mature, it's bound to be completely inappropriate. Kids are tough and can handle eliminations, so I am not as worried about that. They should have either done SYTYCD junior with just the kids, or kept the age range 18-30. It's the mixing of the adults and kids that has me cringing and will keep me from tuning in.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #63 
So the kids and their all star will DANCE together? I assumed it was going to be some type of mentoring thing where the all star helps them prep for their routine, kind of like how Travis and Twitch did this year but w/ an All Star per person, not just one per team. So we could be watching Travis Wall dancing w/ a 9 year old girl, or Twitch hip hopping w/ a 12 year old boy?! OMG - that is the stupidest ever - only person who would enjoy that would be the 9 and 12 year old and their parents!

No way will I watch.
Momtodancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #64 
Last year I had to contain myself from changing the channel when Jason Derulo judged. DD and I had to make believe it was a comedy show when he spoke. There is no way I would watch little ones competing, I hate mini pieces. As mentioned before most pieces are appealing to a mature audience as dancers have the maturity to dance them, only getting with time and experience. How will the little ones be able to project that without looking silly or ridiculous, they won't be able to go the entire season with hip hop, pieces, theatrical, funny pieces. Not sure why the producers didn't stick with the formula that worked "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #65 
I am surprised there has not been more activity on here about this topic.  Did anyone's DC apply?  Have you heard back and been invited to LA, Chicago or New York for a live audition?  I know lots aren't excited about the "younger generation" concept, but I'm guessing lots have sent in audition tapes too?  My DD really wanted to audition, so she worked with SO to submit a video.  Anyone else?
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #66 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjrm4
I am surprised there has not been more activity on here about this topic.  Did anyone's DC apply?  Have you heard back and been invited to LA, Chicago or New York for a live audition?  I know lots aren't excited about the "younger generation" concept, but I'm guessing lots have sent in audition tapes too?  My DD really wanted to audition, so she worked with SO to submit a video.  Anyone else?

We were going to go to the LA auditions but I am swamped at work so can't take time off. Flights from LA that leave on Friday evening and come home on Sunday evening are outrageous so we are passing.

There are several kids from DDs studio who submitted audition videos and are going to LA. Two of them have already heard from the show and are being asked to block out from Saturday to Tuesday! It's very exciting for those kids.  I did start the video submission but never actually uploaded the video and hit submit. But because my registration is there, I received an email last night saying that DD was not selected to move on to the producers round. 
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #67 
We were going to submit a video but honestly would not be able to make any of the auditions due to conflicts....not to mention the fact that we probably wouldn't be able to do the show if selected anyway because of our at-home commitments. Unfortunately the timing just isn't right for us. If they came somewhere closer like ATL it might have been easier to make it work.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #68 
That's an interesting point about the timing.  Anyone who tries out now would basically have to abandon their studio team right as the season gets started.  Anyone doing the show has bigger goals in mind that what a studio could bring them but I wonder if there are studios that have forbidden their dancers from auditioning and will hold them to contracts?  Could be interesting to watch unfold.  
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #69 
Kmpmom - the controversy is already starting at our studio. The mom of an older girl has already expressed that she's not going to be happy if any of the kids going miss competitions. I was actual going to post it as a topic to see what people here think.

IMHO - the two kids who made it past the video submission round have been dancing 25-30 hours a week for the last 5 years. They are amazing little dancers and have always made it clear that their intention is to dance professionally. Whether you agree with the show casting kids or not, this is a big opportunity for them. The dances the kids are in can be reblocked or the kids can fly home for comp weekends. We only have 3 more plus nationals so really it isn't a huge deal.
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #70 
I've never watched, beyond an occasional episode, the 18+ version of SYTYCD.  But, for the train wreck factor, I'll tune in and check this one out.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #71 
My honest opinion is that those who choose to try and make the cut should do it solely for the unique experience and not because they think it's some sort of short cut into professional dance.  It's one thing for the 18+ set who might truly be ready to venture out into the real world but these little kids?  That's not where they're at.  And it's just silly imo to go in w/this idea that they are.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #72 
DD12 is auditioning. Her SO got an email inviting submissions.
Zero expectations, we only watched the show when Fabrice Calmels was judging. Or in clips on YouTube.
Just an experience like auditioning for AUDC was. Something she can tell her kids about some day.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #73 

I can now say I know someone personally who is pursuing this.  One of the dancers at dd's studio submitted a video of her contemporary number from YAGP on a whim and was invited to California.  She is quite a talented dancer.  Will be interested to hear their personal take on the experience.  They are very down to earth people. 

jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #74 
My serious dancer is too old for this format - whew.  I understand auditioning for the experience - life is a series of experiences.  But I am sad SYTYCD has come to this... if it isn't the last season I'll be shocked.  DD and I are thinking we will not be watching unless she knows someone on it to support.  
Tombe4dance

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #75 
Rumor is Sophia Lucia is auditioning ....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: