Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
There are plenty of opportunities for fans of dance to see young dancers do their thing.  Most major cities have comps most weekends between January and May; conventions livecast; youtube is full of kids strutting their stuff or studios/choreographers promoting their work; and of course there's the elephant that drove all this, the ALDC.  

What we don't have much opportunity to see is young adult dance and what it can look like. While I think SYTYCD has moved away from some of it's own secret sauce in recent years, it was still the best showcase we had. It was not the be-all and end-all of what a dance career could mean, but it showed what good training and years and years of hard work could produce when combined with a mature body and soul. It showed the non-dance world just how hard these kids work and how gruelling it is on their bodies. 

In my IG feed on the weekend was a post from a dance competition that one of last year's SYTYCD contestants is involved with. It was a short video of young girl who's solo he had choreographed.  She was stunning.  Not only "all legs and tricks" but emotion too.  Surprised I'd never heard of her, so I clicked the link to her name.  She's 10 and apparently very open about the fact she has struggled with an eating disorder and suffers panic attacks.  I don't need to know that much about a girl I don't know and will never meet.  I'd have never intruded on her life if not for her famous choreographer and his need for attention. 

I'm concerned what a show like this would do for young kids.  I'm saddened to hear the show is leaving it's roots to join the fray.

Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Paula Abdul and Abby Lee both tried to have this type of tween dance competition show and neither one lasted. What does SYTYCD think they can do differently to make theirs work?
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
Paula Abdul and Abby Lee both tried to have this type of tween dance competition show and neither one lasted. What does SYTYCD think they can do differently to make theirs work?

Now there's an interesting connection I hadn't thought about (we didn't get Paula's show up here).  I wonder how much influence she's had on the switch for SYTYCD?  Might that have been part of her agreement?  
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 

I don't know if I like it. I feel like it could quickly and easily become "Dance Mom's" on prime time. 

Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2

Now there's an interesting connection I hadn't thought about (we didn't get Paula's show up here).  I wonder how much influence she's had on the switch for SYTYCD?  Might that have been part of her agreement?  

It was called "Live to Dance" I believe and only lasted one season.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 

Actually, the catch for Paula Abdul's show was that dancers of any age could audition. It may have been mostly tweens and young teens that made it through though. 

Sad that SYTYCD has struggled lately. Then again, this is the last season of Idol. Perhaps the general public is tiring of these types of shows. Would be nice if reality shows in general would disappear. Tired of the entire genre. 

Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

Actually, the catch for Paula Abdul's show was that dancers of any age could audition. It may have been mostly tweens and young teens that made it through though. 

Sad that SYTYCD has struggled lately. Then again, this is the last season of Idol. Perhaps the general public is tiring of these types of shows. Would be nice if reality shows in general would disappear. Tired of the entire genre. 

You're right, I totally forgot about that. I think their was a senior aged tap dancer and another older couple maybe but mainly kids that made it through.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmommy71
Ugh. I'm not a fan of them taking what was a showcase for amazing adult dancers and spinning it off into yet another children's competitive reality show - so people are going to vote children off a show and watch them cry on TV? And I wonder if people will be cast for backstories like it's rumored they do w/ the adult version. This is not a good thing for dance IMO. Please don't do this SYTYCD - can't we have one show where it's okay for the talented participants to be through puberty and old enough to sign a contract themselves?

Well said!
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Boo.  I have no desire to see something like this.   To me it would probably  go 1 of 2 ways ..... it would either be a shinier version of Dance Moms ..... or ..... I'd be suffering through young dancers dancing to themes like drug addiction  etc.   I get enough age inappropriate angst and subject matter on the comp scene ...but Thanks. 
sbbrewerst

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Can't stand any reality tv. Why not just let the dancers grow and try to get a job on their own merit? 
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
honestly I wish it was 12-17 age group instead of the younger set. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbrewerst
Can't stand any reality tv. Why not just let the dancers grow and try to get a job on their own merit? 

I agree.  Then again, I don't really see any of these shows as giving these kids a real boost, professionally speaking.  They are 15 minutes that, for some, will lead to another 15 minutes & maybe even another 15  minutes..... most often because someone wants to capitalize on their popularity.  But ultimately we're talking about kids.  Kids may score professional dance gigs but that doesn't make them true professional dancers.  That's a title they're going to have to earn the hard way, like everyone else.

IDK... tbh I'm kind of interested to see how the careers of all these famous young dancers unfold.  A large part of me expects that the overwhelming majority will end up going to college like most other kids... maybe they'll major in dance & maybe they won't... but ultimately I really don't expect most to end up dancing or even working in the industry.  What most of them are doing now has less to do with dance than it does w/feeding an ego.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 

That's an interesting question, heidi459. 

Someone mentioned that Paula Abdul show recently, so I looked up the girl who did very well (came in 2nd) (Kendall Glover)to see what she was doing now. She was 11 yrs old when the show aired in 2011, before the age of the Insta-famous and youtube dance stars. She was the girl of the moment. She was also featured in an online series about comp dancers that year. 

Turns out she recently gave up dance for to play volleyball in high school. 

Totally fits your prediction. 

jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
In my opinion, the 8-13 age group is the exact wrong age group to focus on!  How well a dancer does at that age is not always an accurate reflection of what type of dancer they will be by the time they are adults.  

How many of us have personal experience of the "young prodigy" winning everything as a mini and junior that suddenly fades away as a teen?  Or the mediocre mini/jr who stuns everyone by "coming out of nowhere" as a teen or Sr?  

Ash has been dancing for 14 years (11 comp) now.  In that time, of all the kids she has danced with over the years, exactly 1 has gone on to dance professionally (she was a Sr when Ash was a mini).  One or 2 others teach at different studios, and 4 are currently on their college dance teams.  None are majoring/minoring in dance.  Several gave up dance in high school when they wanted to do other things, and the rest pretty much quit dance entirely once they hit college.  Of all the kids I remember being "prodigies" as minis, only 2 are still dancing, but they are now one of the masses of talented teens/seniors rather than standouts.  The rest faded away.
jjjgirls

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #40 
So this is going around Facebook about this. Kind of sums up my thinking on it as well. https://www.facebook.com/SuzanneDiVastoCitere/posts/10153343742310794
bisous3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 
@jjjgirls, that's my status.. :-)
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Smart lady, that bisous3! [wink]

So are there supposed to be scouts out? I do not want to be a part of that. Hopefully they will stick to the coastal cities. Do we know where and what comps?

ETA- I hope they at least give the attendees a chance to have an opinion before they allow scouts at a competition. But likely most comp dancers and parents would welcome scouts in my opinion and experience.
bisous3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 
How they're doing the scouting I am not too sure about. THAT was my main concern. I feel like conventions nowadays have become more about getting noticed and getting called out than about learning. All we need is yet another distraction... Hopefully they'll just hold auditions just like every other reality show. They aren't all bad- I used to LOVE Junior Star Search back in the day!
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #44 
I watched So You Think You Can Dance Ukraine this season (they just wrapped up in December). They decided to allow kids starting from any age together with the adult dancers. It was kinda cute to watch at the auditions stage and some were really talented but it turned into a total fiasco once they got to top 20. The kids garnered huge amounts of sympathy votes pushing out real quality dancers and 3 out of 4 finalists were kids ages, 10, 13, and 14. The 14 year old boy won. He actually was pretty good but nowhere near the caliber of the dancers that left the show way before their time. The 10 year old who got second place was a former rhythmic gymnast who switched to dance just a year and a half ago and most of her routines were full of tricks and very little dancing. It was painful to watch, like a train wreck I couldn't turn away from. But it also showed that kids bring in the votes and the ratings...
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisous3

LOVE your post! [love]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 

Ahhh... the early days of reality shows! Before there was all this extra nonsense to go along with them. Star Search Junior with Ed McMahon! 

I wish I was your FB friend, bisous3, just to like that post and like some of the comments below it! <insert roaring applause> You said it all. 

It's crazy how much it all has changed since my dd competed and that was not terribly long ago. And, even crazier how it has changed since my cousin competed in the late 70's. I remember thinking even then how strange it was that she was competing in dance, I mean, what is there to compete? I was at a school that focused more on actual dance. We did not even have an annual recital. Recital years alternated with "technique" years when there would only be a demonstration for the parents. I can't imagine a school doing that today. It's all about the costumes and performance after performance, generally a comp for the performance. Some are so busy perfecting those dances that they aren't learning anything else. <preaching to the choir. I'll stop now. LOL>

dancindaughter

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Speaking of demonstrations only...at DD's studio every other year the ballet dance at recital is just a class demonstration.  I actually really enjoy it.  It about a 10-15 minute piece that is a brief overview of what ballet class is.  They show barre work, across the floor combinations, and center work for all ages.  It is very interesting to see the progression of what the little ones learn and how that turns into what the seniors are doing in class. 
bisous3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Tendumom- please send me a friend request! and thank you, emmymom- I kind of went off on 25 different tangents there than originally intended but I think there were some good comments from friends. 
I guess we'll have to wait and see with this one.  I wonder how Jeff Thacker, who if I understand correctly isn't the most patient man in the world, is going to deal with the kids and some of the parents. I will say that the ratings on regular So You Think are just getting lower and lower every year. I don't think there's anything wrong with the show- like American Idol it's probably just run it's course. If the Junior version keeps dance on primetime tv- in a POSITIVE way, then it can be good. 
jjjgirls

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisous3

It's a small world! Very well said, thank you. Our studio owner posted that link on the studio Facebook page. Lots of agreement here!
bopmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #50 
I have not seen anything about this online except for here.  If they come close to us DD11 would love to try out for experience.
She has no tricks and struggles with low arches but is an emotional dancer and loves to perform.  If it has to do with me, then nope we won't have anything to do with it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.