Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 8      1   2   3   4   Next   »
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Any one else see the Instagram post by dance makers about SYTYCD juniors this season????
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I saw the pic but didn't read the caption so I went back to look. Interesting. I couldn't find anything online about it though. We attend Dancemakers next month so hopefully whoever is explaining it at the other conventions will be there to explain it at our location too. I always said it would be neat to have a younger version of the show. Same with American Idol. I really enjoyed American Juniors when it was on.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 

There have been rumors for a while that the next show will be SYTYCD Junior, but nothing definite. 

I also really liked American Juniors, possibly even more than American Idol. 

Chickenlady

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We are at NUVO Long Beach and the executive producer of SYTYCD, Jeff Thacker, just announced that the next season will be juniors. It will be open to 8- to 13-year-olds. Audition cities are LA, Chicago & NY. Dancers will audition in their best one genre. He said you will be able to preregister online starting (I think) next week.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenlady
We are at NUVO Long Beach and the executive producer of SYTYCD, Jeff Thacker, just announced that the next season will be juniors. It will be open to 8- to 13-year-olds. Audition cities are LA, Chicago & NY. Dancers will audition in their best one genre. He said you will be able to preregister online starting (I think) next week.

Thanks for the update!

Are ya'll competing any dances tonight? I will be watching my friends' dancers on the livestream    
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Interesting. Is that in place of the regular SYTYCD or in addition to?
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
DD just told me about it too. Frustrating, because she is 14.....too old for juniors but too young for regular SYTYCD. Hopefully they will still have both. Or raise the age to 17 lol.
Anyone know??
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I hope it is in addition to and not instead of.  As much as I love watching developing young dancers, I really enjoyed watching the adults on SYTYCD.   There are great young dancers competing at high schools near me most weekends.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Ugh. I'm not a fan of them taking what was a showcase for amazing adult dancers and spinning it off into yet another children's competitive reality show - so people are going to vote children off a show and watch them cry on TV? And I wonder if people will be cast for backstories like it's rumored they do w/ the adult version.

This is not a good thing for dance IMO. Please don't do this SYTYCD - can't we have one show where it's okay for the talented participants to be through puberty and old enough to sign a contract themselves?

Chickenlady

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Beachgirl: This is an optional for us. My girls competed their solos yesterday morning. Good luck to your friends. There are so many talented dancers here!

Beccasmom: There were a lot of sad teen/senior dancers and parents in the room when he made the announcement. He was asked why the decision was made to limit it to that age group and he said they were looking maximize the number of dancers who would be eligible and that age group is the biggest segment of the dance population. He said if they have a next year they would consider different age groups.

Twinkletoes & ggsmith: Someone asked him if the regular SYTYCD dance would still have the stage vs. street format and he said no (but that there would be a twist that he couldn't reveal right now). That answer made me think that they would do both, but everything else he said made me think it would only be juniors this season. So...I don't know! He may have clarified, but we had to leave before he was done to get back to class.

He told all the dancers that if they were planning to audition, they needed to think about 3 things:

1) Their strongest genre;
2) Which former SYTYCD dancer they feel they dance the most like or inspires them the most; and,
3) What makes them different from or stand out from other dancers (aka, their "story").

Based entirely upon my own speculation, this immediately made me think that they would be linking kids with older or returning dancers.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenlady
Beachgirl: This is an optional for us. My girls competed their solos yesterday morning. Good luck to your friends. There are so many talented dancers here! Beccasmom: There were a lot of sad teen/senior dancers and parents in the room when he made the announcement. He was asked why the decision was made to limit it to that age group and he said they were looking maximize the number of dancers who would be eligible and that age group is the biggest segment of the dance population. He said if they have a next year they would consider different age groups. Twinkletoes & ggsmith: Someone asked him if the regular SYTYCD dance would still have the stage vs. street format and he said no (but that there would be a twist that he couldn't reveal right now). That answer made me think that they would do both, but everything else he said made me think it would only be juniors this season. So...I don't know! He may have clarified, but we had to leave before he was done to get back to class. He told all the dancers that if they were planning to audition, they needed to think about 3 things: 1) Their strongest genre; 2) Which former SYTYCD dancer they feel they dance the most like or inspires them the most; and, 3) What makes them different from or stand out from other dancers (aka, their "story"). Based entirely upon my own speculation, this immediately made me think that they would be linking kids with older or returning dancers.

Thanks for the info.

It really stinks for them to omit an entire age group for eligibility. 
We live 20 minutes from NYC and dd would love to do the audition for the experience if nothing else. 
trinitymomof2

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Well that puts both mine smack dab in the middle of not being eligible for either, since they are about to be 15 and 17.......
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Not sure if your average TV viewer will watch 8-13 year old dancers. The adult show struggles for ratings. I hope these kids will not be exploited.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
So, we are already excited at my house (just turned 10 and 13), and I'm hoping the auditions don't run into a comp weekend. We're only 6 hours away from Chicago, so a road trip might be in order! I've been trying to find out more info. The instagram post almost seems like they are auditioning at their convention? Or am I reading that wrong? 

"Just in! Our special guest in Boston and Anaheim is Jeff Thacker-Ex producer of SYTYCD. He will be discussing and talking about this year's New SYTYCD Juniors season. He will be taking q&a from dancers and adults and is looking forward to seeing what amazing talented dancers we have at Dancemakers. If you're not already registered be sure to come check out this very special experience!" Does that sound like they are auditioning at the convention? 
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
So if they don't do the adult version this year, then every dancer that just worked their butt off for the past 5-10 years dreaming of the day they would finally become age eligible to tryout for SYTYCD is going to be SOL. With the opportunity instead being given to a fresh batch of 8-13 year kids? Just the age bracket the new 18 year olds were when they first started dreaming of being on this show? Wow - that's cold.

First they get rid of Mary, now this.

It will be really creepy if Nigel is juding little 8-10 year old girls - especially if they do any sassy jazz numbers - eeeelch - I'm grossed out just thinking about that so I really hope they don't have him on the show. And for the love of God, if anyone even remotely associated w/ dance moms (Abby Lee, Christi, Cathy)
shows up on the show as a judge or choreographer, the entire SYTYCD franchise will be dead to me...[wink]
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I think we can thank Dance Moms for this move.  Like it or not (and I hate it and what it's done to dance) the show is a hit.  They don't want to miss that shows target audience.  And lets not forget the Instagram and YouTube little stars; put a few of these talented little nuggets on the show and they have that age segment locked up...instant audience.  It's especially important because their viewer numbers have been declining for years now with the old/traditional SYTYCD.
DANCEKITTY

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Casting directors have been reaching out over the last few weeks about it. LA auditions at the end of Feb. I can't see the adult version coming back - it barely made the cut last year.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Honestly, if your goal in life is to be on SYTCD, I really think you need to reevaluate what your doing. There's a big dance world out here and I just don't think the be all end all is being on this show. If the show was successful it would continue on. It isn't anymore. I don't think you can blame the producers for crushing anyone's dreams.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
Honestly, if your goal in life is to be on SYTCD, I really think you need to reevaluate what your doing. There's a big dance world out here and I just don't think the be all end all is being on this show. If the show was successful it would continue on. It isn't anymore. I don't think you can blame the producers for crushing anyone's dreams.

I get this... But I still think it's unfair. DD always sort of imagined auditioning for this. It may not be her life goal to be on the show, but she's been watching since season 1, always imaging being on the show one day... Or at least auditioning for it and seeing how far she could get. Now that she's almost old enough it turns out that she's going to be too old? That's just incredibly disappointing.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
I get this... But I still think it's unfair. DD always sort of imagined auditioning for this. It may not be her life goal to be on the show, but she's been watching since season 1, always imaging being on the show one day... Or at least auditioning for it and seeing how far she could get. Now that she's almost old enough it turns out that she's going to be too old? That's just incredibly disappointing.

Same here. No, it's not the be-all, end-all in life but it's a show these girls have grown up watching and they follow the careers of the winners and now they won't have the chance to audition. Whoever thought this up clearly wasn't thinking about that segment of their audience.
And yes, I do agree that it's been influenced by the whole Dance Moms phenomenon.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
SYCTYD isn't my or my kids "goal in life". Just hoping it's a fun road trip with some good friends. Also, since my kids are tappers, their first comment was "maybe we'll get to meet Gabby Diaz!" Delusions of fame and fortune are in-check. Just looking for a fun time!
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I'll just not watch. It's not the direction I want to see SYTYCD take. It'll be the only season ever I don't watch
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
I am just worried it would end up being all about tricks, and contortion.
I do enjoy the dance and movement more than the endless spins and splits behind the back.
So many dancers I can think of who are brilliant to watch, who may age out before they get this show going.
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
I am just worried it would end up being all about tricks, and contortion.
I do enjoy the dance and movement more than the endless spins and splits behind the back.
So many dancers I can think of who are brilliant to watch, who may age out before they get this show going.

I actually am hoping it does the exact opposite. I remember watching an audition that Nigel made the comment about a dancer being a competition kid and how it's different in the real world of dance.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 

Wouldn't it be nice if this season showed America what dance should look like for children of that age and what quality dance classes and quality dance training actually looks like? 

I know, I know. Too much to ask for. I can't envision anyone else other than strong competition kids making it on this show. If I recall, American Juniors was handled fairly nicely with the result being a group making it to the end, not just one winner and without the vitriol and demoralizing feedback that sometimes is on AI. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: