Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 8 of 8     «   Prev   5   6   7   8
mookiel

Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #176 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaO
OK, I was going to just ignore this silliness but I'm going to respond just to set the record straight not because I honestly believe a couple of you are likely to actually get it.

First, as a young Latin style and Ballroom dancer, being able to negotiate in heels is absolutely necessary. It's not easy, and just because your daughter doesn't do it in the style you have her into does not make it somehow cheap.

Girls like Amanda, who are ethnic, Latino and are raised by immigrant parents in the culture of their native countries get a bunch of haughtiness -as we've seen here - from white bread suburban dance types. And you're in good company - Abby Lee Miller has the same attitude. Narrow mindedness, not to say racism,is sad.

And for reference sake, "showgirl" is not a synonym for stripper. The Radio City Music Hall Rockettes, for example, are showgirls. Raychelle Rak is a broadway showgirl, and if you'll recall she specifically did a class during AUDC2 where she worked with the dancers in heels.

She was most specifically not teaching them to hoover up dollar bills from drunk men or work the topless 1AM show at the Flamingo.

I could on and on here - Liza Minelli, Gwen Virdon, Chita Rivera, the cast of A Chorus Line, Chicago, 42nd Street, Anything Goes and/or West Side Story, the marvelous Karine Olivio -  but there's no point. Some people live to get offended even when it requires them to employ a construct - "show girls are dirty" - that takes a hefty amount of heavy lifting.

In any case, the point I was making - and which seems obvious - is that the dancer in question handled working in heels very well at a young age, a point which it does not seem to me to suggest any comparison to hoochie coochie girls. 

A couple of you really need to climb down off that high horse before you hurt yourselves.



Are you even a dance mom or just a fan of the Dance Moms show? Every single post you've ever made here is in reference to the show. It's a little odd. 
1
ballerinamom13

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,768
Reply with quote  #177 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiel


Are you even a dance mom or just a fan of the Dance Moms show? Every single post you've ever made here is in reference to the show. It's a little odd. 


This is my question too...
And I'll stay on my "high horse" as long as I want.  I've been on it a long time.  It seems to work for me and my dd.
1
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,618
Reply with quote  #178 
I love all the thumbs down. Can't imagine who is responsible [rofl]
1
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,589
Reply with quote  #179 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaO
OK, I was going to just ignore this silliness but I'm going to respond just to set the record straight not because I honestly believe a couple of you are likely to actually get it.

First, as a young Latin style and Ballroom dancer, being able to negotiate in heels is absolutely necessary. It's not easy, and just because your daughter doesn't do it in the style you have her into does not make it somehow cheap.

Girls like Amanda, who are ethnic, Latino and are raised by immigrant parents in the culture of their native countries get a bunch of haughtiness -as we've seen here - from white bread suburban dance types. And you're in good company - Abby Lee Miller has the same attitude. Narrow mindedness, not to say racism,is sad.

And for reference sake, "showgirl" is not a synonym for stripper. The Radio City Music Hall Rockettes, for example, are showgirls. Raychelle Rak is a broadway showgirl, and if you'll recall she specifically did a class during AUDC2 where she worked with the dancers in heels.

She was most specifically not teaching them to hoover up dollar bills from drunk men or work the topless 1AM show at the Flamingo.

I could on and on here - Liza Minelli, Gwen Virdon, Chita Rivera, the cast of A Chorus Line, Chicago, 42nd Street, Anything Goes and/or West Side Story, the marvelous Karine Olivio -  but there's no point. Some people live to get offended even when it requires them to employ a construct - "show girls are dirty" - that takes a hefty amount of heavy lifting.

In any case, the point I was making - and which seems obvious - is that the dancer in question handled working in heels very well at a young age, a point which it does not seem to me to suggest any comparison to hoochie coochie girls. 

A couple of you really need to climb down off that high horse before you hurt yourselves.



Not sure where the racist thing came from?  You never mentioned the race or dance styles of this girl in your original post.  I don't follow kid competitors on youtube or TV and I'm too lazy to google it. I didn't get racist from your post or any of the others following.  What are we missing?

Maybe its a semantics issue.  I have always thought of a "showgirl" as one of those on stage at a casino with a big feather thing on their head and not much on their body.  What dancing they do is in an adult show. Not strippers but there for the same purpose.  I consider Broadway casts and Rockettes Dancers.  I consider Liza, Gwen and Chita Actresses, Dancers, Singers and pretty much Goddesses.  Maybe that is the disconnect?


1
Sabrina

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,851
Reply with quote  #180 
Originally Posted by DonnaO

"Style, class, posture, technique, lines to die for, and the cameras love her. And even at 12 she could dance in heels like a showgirl."

Originally Posted by DonnaO

Style, class, posture, technique, lines to die for, and the cameras love her. And even at 12 she could dance in heels like a veteran ballroom dancer.

There...fixed that for ya.

1
bopmom

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,020
Reply with quote  #181 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingpeanut
DD and I are so sad our former favorite show has ventured down this path. We have decided that instead of watching, we will go back and rewatch the first couple seasons. We didn't even start watching until the second season, and she was too young to really appreciate it back then. It should be fun for her to see the performances of so many dancers she has since had classes with at conventions and master classes.


What a great idea.  I will be doing this with DD11 as well
0
tinydancers

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 250
Reply with quote  #182 
Is there an easy way to watch past seasons? I haven't seen it streaming anywhere.
0
armydancemom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 176
Reply with quote  #183 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaO
OK, I was going to just ignore this silliness but I'm going to respond just to set the record straight not because I honestly believe a couple of you are likely to actually get it.

First, as a young Latin style and Ballroom dancer, being able to negotiate in heels is absolutely necessary. It's not easy, and just because your daughter doesn't do it in the style you have her into does not make it somehow cheap.

Girls like Amanda, who are ethnic, Latino and are raised by immigrant parents in the culture of their native countries get a bunch of haughtiness -as we've seen here - from white bread suburban dance types. And you're in good company - Abby Lee Miller has the same attitude. Narrow mindedness, not to say racism,is sad.

And for reference sake, "showgirl" is not a synonym for stripper. The Radio City Music Hall Rockettes, for example, are showgirls. Raychelle Rak is a broadway showgirl, and if you'll recall she specifically did a class during AUDC2 where she worked with the dancers in heels.

She was most specifically not teaching them to hoover up dollar bills from drunk men or work the topless 1AM show at the Flamingo.

I could on and on here - Liza Minelli, Gwen Virdon, Chita Rivera, the cast of A Chorus Line, Chicago, 42nd Street, Anything Goes and/or West Side Story, the marvelous Karine Olivio -  but there's no point. Some people live to get offended even when it requires them to employ a construct - "show girls are dirty" - that takes a hefty amount of heavy lifting.

In any case, the point I was making - and which seems obvious - is that the dancer in question handled working in heels very well at a young age, a point which it does not seem to me to suggest any comparison to hoochie coochie girls. 

A couple of you really need to climb down off that high horse before you hurt yourselves.


No one here said that they disliked ballroom dancing or Amanda's dancing because it was too ethnic. All they did is get a little uncomfortable about you calling a 12 year old a showgirl. And this is coming from a black mom who knows how ethic dances/dancers can sometimes be seen as over sexual, if you don't know the culture.
1
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,325
Reply with quote  #184 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
Can't even begin to imagine how the racist card got brought in here. The only racist comment I saw was "white bread suburbia".


YES.
1
My2DanceLoves

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 5,410
Reply with quote  #185 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
[image]

Someone thumbs downed my post and a lot of others. Wonder who that could have been? Hmmmmmmmm??????




Pretty obvious it was "DonnaNOTaDanceMom"
1
Psmom

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 5,790
Reply with quote  #186 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer


Yep

ETA - I had to go back and give everyone a thumbs up ya know, to help balance it all out. [smile]


That's what I'm doing too!
1
Psmom

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 5,790
Reply with quote  #187 
Interesting that DonnaO hasn't logged on to the site since her post but I have an idea who's down voting
1
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,252
Reply with quote  #188 
Okay I'm a little slow but I just noticed that every post in every thread has a thumbs down.  Who the H$#L is so miserable to take the time to do that.
1
IreneP

Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 419
Reply with quote  #189 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
Okay I'm a little slow but I just noticed that every post in every thread has a thumbs down.  Who the H$#L is so miserable to take the time to do that.

Someone with way too much time on her hands.. [rolleyes]
I'm going back and give everyone a thumbs up
1
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: