Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 8     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next
tinydancers

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #126 
I'm truly surprised they're putting her in a position that can (will?) expose how she stacks up, talent-wise.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #127 
Quote:
I'm truly surprised they're putting her in a position that can (will?) expose how she stacks up, talent-wise.

They aren't. If they did, she'd be on the other side of the judge's table.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #128 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymanddance
They just lost any shred of credibility they may have had by adding Maddie Zeigler as a judge. 

Lets just say that Sophia Lucia or Avery Gay make the top ten….. Maddie is going to offer them advice and critique? Ummmmm maybe that should be the other way around. 

Clear the tracks ladies and gentlemen because I see a train wreck in our near future.

This is what I was thinking.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #129 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13

Actually, now that I think about this...I hope they do let Dance Mom people on the show and I hope they get their butts kicked because most of them are NOT that good. 

Now seems like a good time to repeat what I said a few days ago.  You've got to be kidding me?  Maddie is going to give others advice????  There are so many better dancers out there. I personally know 5 or 6 of them.    I won't watch one second.  What a bunch of crap.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #130 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
This is what I was thinking.

Me too. When Sophia was briefly on Dance Moms, Maddie was intimidated by her. Now she's going to judge her? Please.............
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #131 
awww...

come on....

you are all just jealous! 

Isn't that what Abby Lee Miller would say?

Got to find something to laugh about as it's now a bigger joke than it should have been
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #132 
Well .....there's the nail in the coffin.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #133 
We won't be watching now.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #134 
I saw something that said the morales kids we're going to do it too. I guess the girl is over her eating disorder enough to go back to the high pressure national television thing already? Smh.

This news about Maddie judging is really distributing. I guess there are decision makers in the entertainment industry who believe that she really is something. Can't believe that this once great show has turned in to a Dance Moms spin off [frown].
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #135 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
Unfortunate turn this is all taking. So much of the publics perception of dance is already wrapped up in dance moms. If they wanted a younger dancer to be a judge, I'm sure they could have found someone with more extensive training. What training does Maddie really have? I feel that she is very talented...but I can't take her as a judge. SYTYCD has definitely jumped the shark.

I'm wondering if she is a judge because she would not necessarily win as a competitor.  So many dancers out there with better training and technique.  Not that the average viewer would know the difference.
dancindaughter

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #136 
Well, now I officially know someone who is auditioning.  A girl from our studio (who is fabulous BTW) posted last night her invite to the Chicago Produce's' Round.  I had no clue anyone from our studio submitted videos.  I guess because DD and her group are all too old.  Very sad that there is a chance I might have to watch.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #137 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindaughter
Well, now I officially know someone who is auditioning.  A girl from our studio (who is fabulous BTW) posted last night her invite to the Chicago Produce's' Round.  I had no clue anyone from our studio submitted videos.  I guess because DD and her group are all too old.  Very sad that there is a chance I might have to watch.

And now one of our dancers got invited to audition in Chicago also. 
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #138 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisous3
Tendumom- please send me a friend request! and thank you, emmymom- I kind of went off on 25 different tangents there than originally intended but I think there were some good comments from friends. 
I guess we'll have to wait and see with this one.  I wonder how Jeff Thacker, who if I understand correctly isn't the most patient man in the world, is going to deal with the kids and some of the parents. I will say that the ratings on regular So You Think are just getting lower and lower every year. I don't think there's anything wrong with the show- like American Idol it's probably just run it's course. If the Junior version keeps dance on primetime tv- in a POSITIVE way, then it can be good. 
heromom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #139 
I was wondering that exact same thing. He is not the nicest guy in the world at auditions.
dancindaughter

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #140 
Actually it turns out, 2 girls from our studio are in Chicago.  It will be interesting to hear about it I guess.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #141 
They break so many of the adults when doing the show, I can't imagine how they'll handle kids.
Tombe4dance

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #142 

^Nigel posted this on his Twitter, but I found it on YouTube. Looks like he's using her video to drum up views for the upcoming season in two months. This is so disappointing.
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #143 
So do you all think they will stick to the "favorite" dancer or make it more of a "best" dancer contest? Outside of other dancers the viewing public isn't as open minded about young kids wearing skimpy outfits and dancing in a more adult style. We are accustomed to these things but I don't think the show can do well if they don't draw a broader audience. Even in my extended family, who love to see my dd dance, they're not really comfortable with the edgy contemporary stuff or her hard hitting hiphop and she's 19! They'd prefer a sweet little dance to Cotton eyed Joe or a ballet to When you Wish Upon a Star. This could be pretty complicated to sale to the public
Psmom

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #144 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombe4dance
http://youtu.be/XkKAxDkTHpg

^Nigel posted this on his Twitter, but I found it on YouTube. Looks like he's using her video to drum up views for the upcoming season in two months. This is so disappointing.

To continue my previous post-I have two sisters in law who have daughters who are 11,12, and 13 years old. Neither of them would be comfortable letting my nieces watch a dance like this with the dancer in a leotard without tights and the rolling around on the floor. This is the way they would describe this. I think there are a lot of moms of girls this age that feel the same way.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #145 
I hear this was going to only be for one season?  I like the regular format better too.  My daughter (11) went to the audition in Chicago yesterday and got one of the 30 pink tickets to the 2nd round but got cut after that.  We stood outside in the cold for over 7 hours with hundreds of people LOL.

Anyway, I think I'm more upset about Maddie Ziegler being a judge than I am about the format with the younger dancers.  

Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #146 
Since each dancer will be paired with an all star, I would think it would be difficult to do choreo that suits an adult and a child.
Candykss79

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #147 
Quote:
I'm wondering if she is a judge because she would not necessarily win as a competitor.  So many dancers out there with better training and technique.  Not that the average viewer would know the difference.

The thing is, the show hasn't ever been about the "best" dancer winning. It's about the dancer who is most popular with the viewing audience. Because of that, they couldn't allow Maddie to compete and still maintain that the competition had any shred of fairness at all. There are many young dancers out there with youtube followings and who are well known on the circuit a la Sophia but do we really believe that against Maddie's fanbase they would have any chance? The only person that could likely go toe-to-toe with her so to speak in the fanbase aspect is Chloe who is too old for the show. I think they likely asked her to judge in order to rope in that fanbase in a way that would not jeopardize the "fairness" (because do we really think this show is fair?) of the show for the rest of the competitors. At least this way we have some hope of seeing other young dancers get a chance to be in the spotlight. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the hip-hop kids and the tappers. I just hope that this year doesn't follow the standard format (besides stage vs street) of loading the group with contemporary dancers. I can appreciate that type of dance, my niece dances that style, but i'd like to see something else as well. As an aside in my tiny little voice, i'll say that often at this age most contemporary dancers don't know how to emote well enough. For instance that video of Sophia Lucia is visually stunning but it didn't draw me in and make me want to watch. Compare that with the video Nigel posted of the little hip-hop kid Kida. That video makes me want to see more!

As far as Maddie judging others who are technically more advanced than her, I don't have a problem with it. It's happened on every single season so far. Many of the guest judges have no or little dance background and yet they provide critiques. One of the regular judges is Jason Derulo who is completely useless in my opinion. Honestly i'd rather listen to Maddie versus him any day of the week. I think that they also had to provide some counter to Nigel. I think that some viewers, knowing of Nigel's past perviness would be a little hesitant to watch him judge young ladies on the cusp of adolescence. By bringing in a child judge they counter that somewhat. In the end this is all about ratings and if bringing in Maddie keeps the show on a little bit longer, I can live with it. Hopefully if the show brings the ratings up they'll alternate youth years and regular years and both audiences can be satisfied.
universaldancing

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #148 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancinandlovinit

She was the original YouTube star before YouTube was really big and everyone was a YouTube star. She was amazing but after she didn't win Live to Dance she just stopped. Or, stopped putting it online, I don't know. I would have like to have seen her on AUDC up against Briana Haire. They are the same age, and Kendall regularly beat her at Showstopper nationals. I think Kendall would have easily won. 

She actually had surgery on her knees and after that, she could not straighten out her legs anymore! If you've watched her solos before Live to Dance you can tell when she's doing extensions and turns. Her not winning LTD did not have anything to do with it. But now with volleyball where bent knees are encouraged I'm sure it's something where she doesn't have to strain herself. 
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #149 
We had a dancer from our studio audition. He made it to the top 50 before being cut.
bisous3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #150 
I predict Maddie will be very heavily scripted and will have mostly positive things to say. Too bad they didn't make her host or co-host with Cat Deeley that could have been cute. Clearly they are desperate for the Dance Moms viewers. I heard some rumors about some kids who they'd contacted to be on the show and after they agreed, were not very happy to hear Maddie would be judging and tried to back out.... so maybe they're paying certain dancers to be there? Can't say for sure. I also heard none of the usual choreographers on on board yet because there isn't a clear plan as to how they are going to do this. They cannot work the kids as many hours a day as the adults and they learn a LOT of choreography, especially during the final episodes. There are so many things up in the air that the regulars are apparently reluctant to get involved. I am so disappointed. This season of this show could have done so much for the dance students across the country, hearing all the "right" things said by the people they respect most... 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: