Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 8     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #101 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

Eh... children don't have occupations.

Honestly, I don't understand why it should make any difference to anyone.  They are children.  Very talented children, yes, but still children.  It's not like the paid gigs somehow give them an edge.  They got the gigs because they were talented.  They didn't somehow become more talented because they got the gigs.

Couldn't agree more. Who cares? And most comps will stipulate that a professional is over 18 anyways.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #102 
Quote:
most of the kids selected to go on to the "producers solo"  round were kids who have contracts under talent agencies. 

That makes me think these kids were already going to that round no matter what. Did they even do the prior round(s)? Just curious, knowing how these things can be different for those with agents on other TV shows. 
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #103 
Were the kids who were selected to come to the auditions required to pay any money - like an audition fee? If this whole thing is just a ruse to get people to these venues to fill seats and make them think they had a shot, when the show already had a set of preselected kids that they knew ahead of time would make it to the judges, that would be really devious.

I'm very suspect of any casting call for dance kids ever since DD/I got on an email list (not sure how we got on it) where we get messages about "audition opportunities", but then when you read the fine print you see that there is a fee to audition, and then another bigger fee if you are "selected". What kind of crock is that? Is this something they only try to pull when it's kids and they know parents are footing the bill?
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #104 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

That's an interesting question, heidi459. 

Someone mentioned that Paula Abdul show recently, so I looked up the girl who did very well (came in 2nd) (Kendall Glover)to see what she was doing now. She was 11 yrs old when the show aired in 2011, before the age of the Insta-famous and youtube dance stars. She was the girl of the moment. She was also featured in an online series about comp dancers that year. 

Turns out she recently gave up dance for to play volleyball in high school. 

Totally fits your prediction. 

She was the original YouTube star before YouTube was really big and everyone was a YouTube star. She was amazing but after she didn't win Live to Dance she just stopped. Or, stopped putting it online, I don't know. I would have like to have seen her on AUDC up against Briana Haire. They are the same age, and Kendall regularly beat her at Showstopper nationals. I think Kendall would have easily won. 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #105 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancedaughters

There are kids competing who are homeschooled so that they can train who are competing.  I don't really see how getting paid to perform makes much difference.  Plus I'm betting most of the kids who are getting paid to perform are not really making much money, considering the added expenses that these jobs create for their families. 

Agreed.  
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #106 
Kendall Glover probably realized volleyball could possibly get her a full NCAA scholarship (where she could study whatever major she chose), whereas dance at most would lead to a scholarship where she would have to study dance (and it would likely only be a partial scholarship). Even if she liked them both equally, the NCAA path would open up the most options for her future.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #107 
We also can't forget the fact that SYTYCD is a reality TV show above all else. They want kids that could potentially raise viewership so no doubt they would look for the Sophia Lucias and other well-known dancers in the dance world.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #108 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
Maddie Zieger just posted by SYTCD as part of juniors. Shocking [biggrin]

It's worse than you think!  She is supposed to be a judge!!

http://www.tvguide.com/news/maddie-ziegler-to-judge-so-you-think-you-can-dance-the-next-generation/

beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #109 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2

It's worse than you think!  She is supposed to be a judge!!

http://www.tvguide.com/news/maddie-ziegler-to-judge-so-you-think-you-can-dance-the-next-generation/

....and there you go.....they just added the Dance Moms fans to their viewership.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #110 
Yep I deleted my post after I realized she was a judge lol
jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #111 
This will definitely be the last season now... done, I am done.  I want to see a 13 year old student serve as a judge as much as I enjoyed Jason Derulo as a judge...
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #112 
I was just coming to post this link, but I see the cat is already out of the bag!  LOL

http://www.fox.com/so-you-think-you-can-dance/article/maddie-ziegler-joins-so-you-think-you-can-dance-the-next-generation
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #113 
All. Respect. Lost. [frown]
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #114 
Was just coming over to post the link. Bye-bye SYTYCD! I'd rather see paint dry.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #115 
I was trying to be open-minded about this but, with that child as a judge?  Completely jumped the shark.  What a shame.  How will we get our summer dance fix?
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #116 
Well, a student who participated at the Dance Award is going to judge the master teacher/choreographers who judged her last year? SMH...
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #117 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmommy71
Were the kids who were selected to come to the auditions required to pay any money - like an audition fee? If this whole thing is just a ruse to get people to these venues to fill seats and make them think they had a shot, when the show already had a set of preselected kids that they knew ahead of time would make it to the judges, that would be really devious. I'm very suspect of any casting call for dance kids ever since DD/I got on an email list (not sure how we got on it) where we get messages about "audition opportunities", but then when you read the fine print you see that there is a fee to audition, and then another bigger fee if you are "selected". What kind of crock is that? Is this something they only try to pull when it's kids and they know parents are footing the bill?

Many shows and movies use the open call as a way of drumming up interest and publicity for their product.  The movie Gracie (which I quite liked) had rounds and rounds of open calls and searching and eventually cast Carly Schroeder, who was an established young actress with plenty of credits - it's not like they needed an open call to find her.  Many of the professional tours and some of the Broadway runs of Annie have held big open call auditions only to end up casting kids that the producers/casting team already knew.

So I'm sure that is what's going on to a large extent, but it's nothing new.  That said, none of the situations I mentioned involved any kind of fee to audition.  It was just a process that took up lots of time/energy for kids and their families, when they really had very little chance of choosing someone from that process.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #118 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmommy71
Kendall Glover probably realized volleyball could possibly get her a full NCAA scholarship (where she could study whatever major she chose), whereas dance at most would lead to a scholarship where she would have to study dance (and it would likely only be a partial scholarship). Even if she liked them both equally, the NCAA path would open up the most options for her future.

Or possibly she just started playing and found that she really enjoyed it.

Either way she seems to be very good at it.
IreneP

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #119 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom
I was just coming to post this link, but I see the cat is already out of the bag!  LOL

http://www.fox.com/so-you-think-you-can-dance/article/maddie-ziegler-joins-so-you-think-you-can-dance-the-next-generation

Oh, boy! I don't even know what to say... [frown]
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #120 
Has anyone been invited to the New York auditions yet - or know someone that has?  I know Chicago is March 11 and New York is March 18.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #121 
Unfortunate turn this is all taking. So much of the publics perception of dance is already wrapped up in dance moms. If they wanted a younger dancer to be a judge, I'm sure they could have found someone with more extensive training. What training does Maddie really have? I feel that she is very talented...but I can't take her as a judge.

SYTYCD has definitely jumped the shark.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #122 
I must have put black on for a reason today. I also changed my home phone ring tone to the Black Swan melody. I did it for fun (there are only a few choices, one is the Candy Cane/Hoops/Russian music from Nut) but now it seems a little melancholy. Keeping it as I am now in mourning for what SYTYCD once was and is no longer. 

Really Nigel?? WTF are you thinking? 

I suppose that all the actual serious dancers who are in that age range are too busy actually TRAINING and LEARNING the craft to be cast as a judge. 

happytappyfeet

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #123 
I knew there was no way Maddie Ziegler would be a contestant. It would have completely ruined her brand to dance against dancers better than her. However I am disappointed this is what the show has come to - having her judge. I will not be watching.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #124 
Soooo disappointed in the news about Maddie. I can't believe they ruined such a good show with this stupid format.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #125 
They just lost any shred of credibility they may have had by adding Maddie Zeigler as a judge. 

Lets just say that Sophia Lucia or Avery Gay make the top ten….. Maddie is going to offer them advice and critique? Ummmmm maybe that should be the other way around. 

Clear the tracks ladies and gentlemen because I see a train wreck in our near future.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: