Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next   »
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #76 
Isn't Sophia too old? How old is she again? Kind of seems unfair for her to be eligible cause she's such a big name, but I think a few of the 18+ people were pro dancers too.
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #77 
Sophia is almost exactly a year older than my DD, so she won't be 14 until September, when mine turns 13.  Yikes, I'm about to have a teenager!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #78 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombe4dance
Rumor is Sophia Lucia is auditioning ....

13 and this would not surprise me at all.  Although I know she is still training at Master Ballet at the moment. 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #79 
If they're smart they wouldn't take anyone that has a history with dancemoms.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #80 
Who down voted meatball77?????    Seriously??     I added a vote...I'd add 10 if I could.  I totally agree with you meatball77
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #81 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I can now say I know someone personally who is pursuing this.  One of the dancers at dd's studio submitted a video of her contemporary number from YAGP on a whim and was invited to California.  She is quite a talented dancer.  Will be interested to hear their personal take on the experience.  They are very down to earth people. 

2 kids at our studio received the same invite. They both didn't make it past the first day. Both families changed their flights / rooms so they were there until Tuesday, since that is what the email said. On the bright side, SO went down with them and is taking them to several of the LA studios for classes yesterday  and today. I'm more jealous of that opportunity than the audition opportunity.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #82 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombe4dance
Rumor is Sophia Lucia is auditioning ....

DD told me that too. 
It's ridiculous....isn't she already famous?
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #83 
Dying to hear details about the CA auditions.  Does anyone have info?  Chicago and New York next....
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #84 
Apparently not famous enough...

What is the prize for winning? Was it announced anywhere?
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #85 
A very large lollipop and lots of instagram followers.

If these kids are paid for their time on the show will they be ineligble for some competitions.  Hmmmmm
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #86 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
A very large lollipop and lots of instagram followers.

If these kids are paid for their time on the show will they be ineligble for some competitions.  Hmmmmm

I'm not so sure.  My understanding is that the rule against professional dancers is to keep true professional dancers off the circuit, not little kids who get for a paid gig here or there.  I think that discussion has been had many times on here.  And the first example that comes to mind is some boy who toured with Billy Elliot... and yet continued to compete..
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #87 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I'm not so sure.  My understanding is that the rule against professional dancers is to keep true professional dancers off the circuit, not little kids who get for a paid gig here or there.  I think that discussion has been had many times on here.  And the first example that comes to mind is some boy who toured with Billy Elliot... and yet continued to compete..

Me Me! I complained about that! A local kid was touring with Billy Elliot a few years ago, as BILLY. He was home for spring break or something, and threw in a last minute solo with his home studio. Guess what? He won. I was mad at the time, because it wasn't "fair", but looking back I think I was wrong. He was a 13 year old kid at the time. If he wanted to hang with his studio and perform a solo, then who cares? 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #88 
Curious as to how "professional" is defined at most dance competitions.

Depending on the definition, I would think the DanceMoms kids would all be professionals. They certainly work more than, let's say, the various little girls who play Clara in the Radio City Christmas Show. 

I just looked at the rules and regulations for 3 competitions pulled at random (Showstoppers, On Stage/NYCDA, and KAR- the first three that came to mind). The word professional does not even appear in the rules for On Stage and NYCDA and KAR. It is mentioned for Showstoppers, but just says professional dancers compete in the "teacher" category. 
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #89 
Many years ago, Mitchell Federan, who danced (I have heard he teaches now) at Center Stage Dance Studio (I always heard that his mother owned the studio) in Ohio was on the competition circuit and traveled to Michigan quite often with his talented studio.  

He had played multiple professional roles in national tours of several shows all over the country.  He was also the young actor who played "Petey" on All My Children.  At some point, he returned home and continued in competition dance.  He was probably the most "professional" dancer we've seen on the competition circuit. 

Also, Amy Yakima, played Clara in the Radio City Christmas Spectacular for a couple of years but still competed after. 

DD also has a friend (not at her studio) who has done countless professional jobs on stage, in print, on film, and in commercial television spots and also still competes.  We also know several others who have dabbled in the "professional" world and still compete.

I think the list is pretty long of those who have done professional work and are still allowed to compete.  I have never really known any competition company to exclude "professional" children from competing. 

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #90 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
Who down voted meatball77?????    Seriously??     I added a vote...I'd add 10 if I could.  I totally agree with you meatball77

Actually, now that I think about this...I hope they do let Dance Mom people on the show and I hope they get their butts kicked because most of them are NOT that good. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #91 
Found out the dancer from dd's studio made it past the ballet round and then past the contemporary round and then was eliminated in whatever the next round was.   Apparently the very next round would've gotten her in front of the actual tv judges (and therefore possibly on tv).  There goes my reason to watch.
gymmommy71

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #92 
Instafamous and DM kids will get a lot of votes though if on the show. As we know even from the adult version, a lot of what happens w/ the voting is popularity and not always based on who is the best dancer (except in the case of judges saves). A less than stellar but popular dancer can get all the way to end if they are never in the bottom w/ votes. Remember that Valerie girl - she was not very good at all, even in her own style of tap, but made it really far cause the voters loved her.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #93 
I just looked up one of our local Ontario comps and it says:

A “Professional” is defined as a person, who choreographs and conducts class and is paid, performing and/or teaching as a major source of income. Performers meeting the above criteria are classified as “Professional” and must enter the Pro/Am Division only. Pro/Am Groups are not eligible for Overall Awards. A dancer who teaches, in exchange of classes is not classified as a professional. This is the only performance category in which Professionals may dance, such as a studio director or teacher.
mackiecat

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #94 
Most competition guidelines that I have read say a professional is 18 and older and derived more than 50% of their income from performing or teaching.
Charlie

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #95 
My daughter competed at Starpower a couple of years ago where Sophia Lucia was competing also.  She was amazing and I was glad my daughter and her team got the opportunity to watch her, but it was annoying considering her Capezio ad was in the program and she listed her occupation as a professional dancer!
Jennharps

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #96 
Based on what i've seen on SYTUCD Jr instgram most of the kids selected to go on to the "producers solo"  round were kids who have contracts under talent agencies. It will be interesting to see what kids were selected for the show. I'm sure they are the big name kids already in the industry.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #97 
I really don't get the reasoning behind thinking it's "not fair" for someone to be on SYTYCD because they've done some professional work, or are famous, or have been on Dance Moms, etc.  First of all, nothing about the show is "fair" so I'm not sure why we would choose prior experience as one area where the playing field should be level.  Professional experience and exposure were not criteria that disqualified the dancers in past seasons - it's never been amateurs only, although they have definitely tried to portray the contestants as amateurs as much as possible.

I also don't think it's unfair in any way for a child who has had some professional work as a dancer or performer to participate in competitions against other kids who haven't done that kind of work.  I think it would be kind of cool to see a former Billy at a comp we attend.  

There's a kid at DD's school who was on Broadway in The Lion King as a child. Nobody is trying to get her banned from trying out for the school musicals.  
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #98 
Our local area is a source of several Billys so we've competed against them many times.  I don't really have a problem with it to be honest.  Kinda makes you open your eyes and go 'wow'.  One we know personally and he's just the nicest, hardest working kid you'd ever want to meet.  Maybe I feel this way because I know these kids go to school full time now, just like my kid, and train at a regular studio, just like my kid.  If they were being home schooled so they could travel the country doing paid gigs of all kinds without an end date, like a Broadway show has, I might feel differently.  Not sure though as that's not the case.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #99 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
Our local area is a source of several Billys so we've competed against them many times.  I don't really have a problem with it to be honest.  Kinda makes you open your eyes and go 'wow'.  One we know personally and he's just the nicest, hardest working kid you'd ever want to meet.  Maybe I feel this way because I know these kids go to school full time now, just like my kid, and train at a regular studio, just like my kid.  If they were being home schooled so they could travel the country doing paid gigs of all kinds without an end date, like a Broadway show has, I might feel differently.  Not sure though as that's not the case.

There are kids competing who are homeschooled so that they can train who are competing.  I don't really see how getting paid to perform makes much difference.  Plus I'm betting most of the kids who are getting paid to perform are not really making much money, considering the added expenses that these jobs create for their families. 
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #100 
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyiinnv
My daughter competed at Starpower a couple of years ago where Sophia Lucia was competing also.  She was amazing and I was glad my daughter and her team got the opportunity to watch her, but it was annoying considering her Capezio ad was in the program and she listed her occupation as a professional dancer!

Eh... children don't have occupations.

Honestly, I don't understand why it should make any difference to anyone.  They are children.  Very talented children, yes, but still children.  It's not like the paid gigs somehow give them an edge.  They got the gigs because they were talented.  They didn't somehow become more talented because they got the gigs.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: