Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
SpicyLuck

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I see this topic come up a lot. Is it very common? I am a newer dance parent and my child 4 y/o really enjoys the studio, fellow classmates, and owners. If she decides to continue with dance I'd hate to think this topic would come up for me. What are the common reasons people switch? Is it because the rigor is not there for your child anymore? Is it other students? Teachers? Costs once they start taking more classes?
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We have a few good threads you can search about why people stay or why people switch. Some people stay at a studio for their whole dance career. For those who switch it is usually that the studio is no longer a good match for their child for one reason or another. My reading of the comments here is that most often people switch in search of better training. (This is certainly why my child switched.) Less often people switch because they don't like the teachers or owners. I haven't heard of many switching due to peers - leaving friends is often a reason people are reluctant to make a move.

If you and your dancer are happy, no need to worry! At her age, having fun and enjoying dance is all that matters!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I think it's fairly rare for a studio to really be the best place for every level of dancer.  The studios that produce wonderful trained professionals (or pre-professionals) often don't have engaging pre-school classes and are so large that younger students get lost in the crowd.

I told my sister that you find a place where dance is fun and they get to wear pretty costumes when they are 3.  If it ends up that they like dance then you move them someplace with good technique but is still small enough to give opportunities when they're eight.  Then if they again are more serious and have talent then school you look around again when they're 13.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 

Your post made me smile because I do remember looking at the older girls at the studio where dd was when she was 4 and thinking they spent too much time at dance. I remember thinking that dd wouldn't do their top company because it left little time for anything else. 

I can laugh at that now. Dd ended up switching from that very large competition school to a ballet school in middle school. She was dancing more than the dancers at the comp school during her high school years and is now dancing 6 days a week as a trainee in a professional ballet company. The comp school had great classes for preschoolers, a separate recital for ages 8 or so and under that ran about an hour (they had multiple shows so no one was there too long), and all sorts of programming for them ranging from different combo classes to a fun summer dance camp, and more. It was just right for her then and not right for her when she was older, though I think we left before that happened. We left because they closed the closest location to us and her jazz teacher told me that dd belonged in a ballet school. We considered various options, including going to the somewhat further location and ended up with her at a ballet school. Her next switch came in her teen years and was because of the style and level of the training. She did stay there a bit longer than she should have, in hindsight of course. 

Don't worry too much about it now. She may be one of those that stays at the same place until she graduates. She may move on to something other than dance in a few years. She may outgrow the current studio and need to go elsewhere. Anything can happen [smile]

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
In search of better training.
In search of more "stage" opportunities (featured roles, etc.).
Desire to focus on different dance genre than the studio's primary strength.
Desire to add/subtract from comp travel and expenses.
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Generally because the studio is no longer a good fit for the dancer, for a multitude of reasons.
Most of us are fairly clueless when we sign our little ones up for dance class because they want to be princess ballerinas, lol!
Sometimes we figure out that the studio we started at doesn't have the quality of training needed for later on (when the kid still wants to be a dancer several years later).
Sometimes the quality of the teaching, or direction the studio is taking, changes.
Sometimes a perfectly good studio just isn't the right place for your dancer as he or she gets older and figures out what direction they want to take their dance in.
Sometimes a studio environment turns very political in the higher levels.

We have changed once and although it was difficult, it was a good change. The old studio provided wonderful ballet instruction (still does, and we are grateful for the foundation it gave my daughter!) but as we got up to the higher levels it was no longer a good fit for my DD and we changed 3yrs ago.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We are at studio #5, and Ash will graduate this year.

We left studios 1 and 3 due to out-of-state moves.

We left studios 2 and 4 due to them no longer being a good match for our dancer.
EJIDance

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We love our studio and I fully expect it to be the one and only studio for my ODD9. She started there at 4, loves all styles offered and the primary styles are a great fit for her personality and and power/athleticism. My YDD 6 grew up in the studio and loves everyone there and everyone loves her (small studio, we are there a lot, and she was a super social baby). But I forsee her going somewhere else in 4-5 years if she continues the way she is progressing now. This is a nice all around performance based studio and YDD is my little ballerina. I've already been approach by her pre-ballet teacher to suggest stronger ballet training for her. It is also the style she herself prefers to all others. 
jemn

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We're contemplating a switch because of politics and frankly, it's just not a fit any longer (my daughter doesn't feel challenged anymore). Leaving her friends will be difficult, but she wants to be happy again -- and I want her to be happy again. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We left DS first studio when he was 8 because the environment had become toxic.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Left the 1st studio because dd wanted to learn more and dance more and the studio wouldn't provide it.

Oddly left the 2nd studio because they demanded more time, complete devotion to dance and the studio not to mention a very toxic environment.

Just realized this reads like Goldie Locks lol.  1st wasn't wasn't enough, 2nd one was too much and 3rd one is just right! [rofl]
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Our studio has a lot of dancers leave over favoritism (not towards the better dancers either). We're on the fence. We love the community of the school, but just one person's favoritism (a teacher) has caused a riff in the group.

We left other because of moving out of town and wished we'd never have to leave friends by choice. In the last couple years they have lost a couple of my daughter's close friends to other studios in the area that have better training and the favoritism is merit based.

Hopefully you will never have to leave, but it's one of those you will know it's time. If that does happen, don't feel guilted into staying out of loyalty.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
DD started at a dance program in a rec. center.  By the time she was 5 it was clear that the program was not training dancers but was about fun.  As DD was already asking about pointe, I started looking around.  The program had an entry level competition team and she did participate in that (2 or 3 competitions a year) for two years.  

I finally got her into a ballet class at a ballet school at age 8.  This quickly became her focus, though she stayed in the rec program for another year.  The following year it was a local competition school (not competing) and the ballet school 2-3 times a week.

She's been exclusively at the ballet school for the past 2 and 1/2 years and its time to move on.  The school was new but promising when she started there, but has not matured well.  There has been continual turnover among staff and students, there is no cohesive syllabus, and chaos reigns with level assignments, casting, productions. 

So, this summer she will spend 5 weeks at a ballet school 90 minutes away.  Perhaps that will become her next dance home.  I have mixed feeling about that!  Before she goes there, we will be visiting two closer schools (only an hour away.)  One is a ballet school that has almost no other classes, the other is a ballet school with an integrated competition style dance studio.  She's going to masterclasses and workshops, a local drop in ballet class, and once a week working with a coach we found an hour in another direction.  I'm sure we will figure it out by fall, when she will be enrolled in a single dance program.  I'm also keeping my ears and eyes open for some other solution that keeps her happy and dancing and not in the car hours a day.  Wish me luck.

BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We just switched studios at the beginning of this year.  My DD (now 10) started at her first school at 4 and was great until last year when five teachers quit.  From what I was told it was management issues and my daughter decided to leave, her choice.  Now she's at a new studio that has an amazing ballet program taught by a professional dancer and not just by a former student.  My daughter is happy with her training, now if one of the jealous older mean girls would back off, it would be perfect for her now.  But that's another story :-)

Sometimes the studio that a child needs at four is not the studio they need at 10.
czmcdaniel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Our old Studio fell into legal trouble and bad publicity for the studio director and we decided it was better to remove ourselves from the situation.
DD was 7 at the time and couldn't deal with the thought of dancing elsewhere so we took a break from dance and she did All Star Cheer for 2 years.
This year - she decided to return to dance and we chose the studio her old cheer coach was affiliated with.  So far, she's happy with the choice. And as long as it's still what she wants, i do my best to make it happen...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: