Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I've been waiting for a real performance but I don't see them coming next year or 2.

I'm getting a DVD for my DDs to watch during holiday break. There are so many DVDs performed by so many different companies and they all have different reviews. Which ones are your favorite performance? I might buy more than one, but I would appreciate the reviews from ballerina moms rather than Amazon reviews (they are also helpful but different perspective)

If you'd like to recommend other great ballet DVDs, that would also be great! Searching the forums didn't find anything helpful.

TIA!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know that I have ever watched Swan Lake on DVD, but I have seen Gillian Murphy dance Odette/Odille with ABT and I do know they have a DVD of her in Swan Lake. I love her in this role, so that would probably be my pick.

I just took a quick peek at Amazon to see what other choices there are, thinking that a more recent DVD might be a good choice just because of the film qualities. I noticed the Australian Ballet had a DVD of Swan Lake. I would skip that one. I saw it in person. It is quite different, not the typical Swan Lake in many ways and, frankly, I did not feel that the quality of the dancing was up to snuff.  

I see there is a somewhat more recent Royal Ballet version on Amazon too.  I have seen some of the Royal Ballet ballet films in the theater and we own a few (but not Swan Lake). You can never go wrong with a DVD produced by them, IMHO.
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you tendumom. I was looking at the Royal Ballet version with Natalia Osipova. Blueray ballet DVDs are pretty good. There were one by Bolshoi and another one by Kirov (Marinsky?) on Amazon. The reviewers comparing the performances are very helpful.

Yes we have seen some old ballet DVDs from the library and my kids lose 
interest very quickly when the screen definition is not good. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I asked my dd, the resident balletomane and ballerina.  She said you cannot go wrong with anything that the Royal Ballet puts out on DVD. She recommends "Winter's Tale." It's not a ballet most people of heard of, but it is "just SO good!" 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.