Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
madisondancer27

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
DD Has been in and out of dance the past couple years with stress fractures to her second metatarsal on her right foot, we decided to go to a new podiatrist after them telling us there is nothing we can do. When arriving to the doctor his mindset was amazing he really cared about getting people back into what they loved and preventing surgery as much as possible. They took a new x-ray and he discovered that DD has two bones that grew together and it's causing stress on her 2nd metatarsal causing those stress fractures. I did research about it and it looks like it's 95% of people have surgery. She will be able to dance after surgery but she will be out for almost an entire season, but the surgery is up to her. She isn't in major pain but I some after long days of dance or competition weekends what should I do??
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Do nothing until you get another opinion!

I would go to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle care. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I agree, get another opinion.  Always good to have lots of eyes, especially for something so serious.  He may very well be right, but it will be good to hear it from another doctor too.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
If possible get a second opinion from a sports orthopedist.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Always good to get a second opinion. How old is your dd? Unless she's very young, I would involve her in the decision making process.
madisondancer27

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktyyyyyyy
Always good to get a second opinion. How old is your dd? Unless she's very young, I would involve her in the decision making process.
She is 15
madisondancer27

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
I agree, get another opinion.  Always good to have lots of eyes, especially for something so serious.  He may very well be right, but it will be good to hear it from another doctor too.
The problem is we went to a very good sports medicine facility that we have used in the past and they only have one podiatrist and she was very rude when we went in the second time and was treating my daughter like a little kid and wasn't listening. That's when we heard about Dr. K from a friend and decided to go there and we try trust his opinion greatly he is kind and a great doctor I just don't know where else we could take DD.
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Ugh...can I be honest?  Not trying to offend anyone, but I have found (in general) podiatrists to be very cut-happy!  

Go to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle or go to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon.  Both will be excellent sources for a second opinion.  You can use a local hospital's physician referral website to find either.

My neighbor and good friend who is a surgeon once told me some great advice when discussing proposed surgery for one of sons "there is no condition that surgery can't make worse".  Proceed carefully...
madisondancer27

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
Ugh...can I be honest?  Not trying to offend anyone, but I have found (in general) podiatrists to be very cut-happy!  

Go to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle or go to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon.  Both will be excellent sources for a second opinion.  You can use a local hospital's physician referral website to find either.

My neighbor and good friend who is a surgeon once told me some great advice when discussing proposed surgery for one of sons "there is no condition that surgery can't make worse".  Proceed carefully...
Thanks so much for your idea I'm going to look on my hospitals referral site right now!! I would have never thought of that
Savira

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We are going through something similar. My older daughter's calcaneus and navicular bones are grown together. We found out 3 weeks ago from her CT scan. (She's 11 years old and she's in moderate pain)

Our podiatrist has referred us to a surgeon that freaked me out. We are meeting with him on the 19th and I'm very concerned that he will push for surgery.
The podiatrist also referred us to physio, she said try physio first but meet with the surgeon and hear his opinion.

We started physio immediately and she has been responding to the treatment. Still in pain but there's some progress. I'm having some hopes...

Everyone seems to be telling me to avoid surgery. Especially people in the dance community - they suggest to get a second opinion, try physio, try chiro, try osteopath etc.
We do want to avoid surgery because worried about the risks.

I will let you know what the surgeon suggested. I hope it all works out for the both of us.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Will the PT fix the problem of the bones grown together or can she still dance with that issue?
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Surgery should not be taken lightly, but it does have a time and place.  I do know a dancer who had metatarsal surgery, missed most of a year ... but continued to work with teachers while away from full-out dancing, and is now back stronger than ever.

Not telling you that this will be your experience, just pointing out that in the right circumstances, it truly can help.
madisondancer27

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savira
We are going through something similar. My older daughter's calcaneus and navicular bones are grown together. We found out 3 weeks ago from her CT scan. (She's 11 years old and she's in moderate pain)

Our podiatrist has referred us to a surgeon that freaked me out. We are meeting with him on the 19th and I'm very concerned that he will push for surgery.
The podiatrist also referred us to physio, she said try physio first but meet with the surgeon and hear his opinion.

We started physio immediately and she has been responding to the treatment. Still in pain but there's some progress. I'm having some hopes...

Everyone seems to be telling me to avoid surgery. Especially people in the dance community - they suggest to get a second opinion, try physio, try chiro, try osteopath etc.
We do want to avoid surgery because worried about the risks.

I will let you know what the surgeon suggested. I hope it all works out for the both of us.
Thanks so much for sharing what you are also going through!! Keep me updated on what they say because our podiatrist kinda left us hanging because he has never dealt with this before I don't think which makes me very nervous!! I would love to hear what the surgeon says so that we may bring up the same idea to ours!!
Savira

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Hi madisondancer27!

I don't have good news. The surgeon was a bit arrogant and gave us no other options but the surgery (45 minutes surgery, 5 weeks in cast, 6-12 months recovery).
emmymom was right, they like to cut.

We are going to get a second opinion on January 3rd (from a podiatrist who's not a surgeon). I'm also trying to book an appointment with a pediatric foot doctor.

at the moment my daughter is doing well. We may end up with surgery but not until we tried other options!

Merry Christmas!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Aren't all podiatrists surgeons? 

Perhaps it is different in other countries?
madisondancer27

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savira
Hi madisondancer27!

I don't have good news. The surgeon was a bit arrogant and gave us no other options but the surgery (45 minutes surgery, 5 weeks in cast, 6-12 months recovery).
emmymom was right, they like to cut.

We are going to get a second opinion on January 3rd (from a podiatrist who's not a surgeon). I'm also trying to book an appointment with a pediatric foot doctor.

at the moment my daughter is doing well. We may end up with surgery but not until we tried other options!

Merry Christmas!

Thanks so much for the update!! DD has been doing better and we are trying to stay away from going back the doctor until dance slows down a bit!! Tell me what the podiatrist says on the 3rd!! Merry Christmas to you too!
Savira

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Aren't all podiatrists surgeons? 

Perhaps it is different in other countries?

I'm not sure how it normally works. There must be different levels as the podiatrist we first visited does not do surgeries.  She referred us to a podiatric surgeon. We are in Canada.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: